Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My very own electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 11:32 PM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My very own electrical issue

Now I have searched the interent for some answers but have come up short. I have 3 main issues.

First Issue:
When I turn my blower motor for heat to level 3 it will make fuse #9 super hot? It will melt the plastic and cause the fuse to fall out. Haven't really found an answer why. My guess is just too much resistance somewhere but where?

Second Issue:
Intermittent wipers are non functional? I was looking at a pelican diagram for relays and it shows an intermittent wiper relay which I didn't know was a thing. I removed the relay and will test it later but just curious of y'alls thoughts. Do the 944s have a park switch for the wipers?

Third Issue:
If I leave my wipers plugged into the back of the steering wheel area then turn my headlights on, my wipers come on. Very annoying since I use my headlights everyday then have to unplug my wipers if it rains.

Thanks,
TurrFinn

Last edited by TurrFinn; 03-08-2024 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:52 PM
orig944
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 159 Posts

1) Check the contacts in the fuse holder to make sure they are clean and not oxidized. Bad contact will add heat to the fuse. Otherwise, your blower is drawing too much current most likely due to obstructed vents or bad bearings,

2) Could be the stalk switch, or could be the relay, or could be the wiring in between. If slow speed works, the wiring from the relay to the motor is good. Wipers should stop at the bottom of the wipe when turned off.

3) No idea. Wiring crossed up somewhere.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:35 PM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Originally Posted by orig944
1) Check the contacts in the fuse holder to make sure they are clean and not oxidized. Bad contact will add heat to the fuse. Otherwise, your blower is drawing too much current most likely due to obstructed vents or bad bearings,

2) Could be the stalk switch, or could be the relay, or could be the wiring in between. If slow speed works, the wiring from the relay to the motor is good. Wipers should stop at the bottom of the wipe when turned off.

3) No idea. Wiring crossed up somewhere.
Thanks for the ideas, I didn't think about the blower having bad bearings and never would have. Now that you mention it though the blower does seem a little loud. Slight metal on metal spinning sound. The fuse contacts are all very clean. My rear defogger does look like it got very hot at one point, completly different color. The wipers don't return to the "parked" position when turned off. What causes the wipers to return to the "parked" position? The stalk works just fine I don't see how it would have any issues. Would the relay make a clicking sound when the intermittent wipers come on?

I feel like this comines 2&3 maybe. Someone has done something behind the steering wheel, the wire coming off the back of the left stalk appears to have electrical tape on it. I'm not sure where that wire goes, what does it do?

Thanks,
TurrFinn
Old 03-09-2024, 08:08 PM
goblues38
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TurrFinn
Now I have searched the interent for some answers but have come up short. I have 3 main issues.

First Issue:
When I turn my blower motor for heat to level 3 it will make fuse #9 super hot? It will melt the plastic and cause the fuse to fall out. Haven't really found an answer why. My guess is just too much resistance somewhere but where?

Thanks,
TurrFinn
if I remember correctly. on the firewall under the hood. There is a resister ?? Mounted on a ceramic base. That thing regulates the fan speed. I would check there

Old 03-09-2024, 10:48 PM
orig944
Burning Brakes

The wipers don't return to the "parked" position when turned off. What causes the wipers to return to the "parked" position? The stalk works just fine I don't see how it would have any issues. Would the relay make a clicking sound when the intermittent wipers come on?
Again, do the wipers work in the slow speed position? It is important to finding the cause of your malfunction.

The parked position is reached by having the motor itself activate itself in the stalk off position until it reaches the lowest position. Both the stalk and the intermittent relay is a part of this circuit.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:54 AM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Again, do the wipers work in the slow speed position? It is important to finding the cause of your malfunction.

The parked position is reached by having the motor itself activate itself in the stalk off position until it reaches the lowest position. Both the stalk and the intermittent relay is a part of this circuit.
All speeds work except intermittent
Old 03-10-2024, 12:16 PM
orig944
Burning Brakes

All speeds work except intermittent
It is most likely that your relay is bad. It is also possible that someone put the wrong type relay in place of the correct one.
Old 03-11-2024, 02:49 AM
TurrFinn
Instructor

It is most likely that your relay is bad. It is also possible that someone put the wrong type relay in place of the correct one.
Thanks for the help, either could be possible knows the previous owner. I think I will order a relay.
Old 03-11-2024, 04:08 PM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 153 Posts

Could also be the potentiometer that sets the delay for the intermittent wipers....
Old 03-11-2024, 04:29 PM
orig944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeyjey
Could also be the potentiometer that sets the delay for the intermittent wipers....
He has an early car, so no potentiometer.
The following users liked this post:
jeyjey (03-11-2024)

Quick Reply: My very own electrical issue