Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had 2 Encounters with Police last night.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004 | 03:33 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Default Had 2 Encounters with Police last night.

Wow, I'm running on pure luck here.

1st Encounter:
It's about 9:30PM, and I go to the 76 to fill up my Rabbit. As I'm filling up, I notice a cop is parked in one of the spots at the station, most likely looking for speeders, since the station is off of a main street. Anyways, I fill up and start leaving, and I notice that the cop is following me. I get kinda nervous, but since I'm doing nothing wrong, I just keep driving home. Well, 1 block from my house, he pulls me over. Turns out that he noticed I didn't have my bumpers on the VW (They're like 65 lbs each!), but was really nice about it. He just said that it would be a good idea to get some on there in the next few weeks, no fix it ticket, nothing. I was relieved, and went on my way.

2nd Encounter:
Eyal was in town for his sister's graduation from Stanford, and we met up at about 10:00PM. A couple of my friends went up some mountain roads to a Vista point to roast marshmellows and to hang out, so we drove up there. Well anyways, we have a small fire going in a tiny BBQ grill, and 2 cops pull up pretty quick. They said that a couple neighbors called in and said that some people were at the Vista point, and apparently we couldn't be there past sunset. Once again, the cops were exceptionally nice, asking us to put out the fire and to leave within the next 20 minutes or so. In fact, they made some smores with us while we talked about cars and such.

So yeah, that was how my weekend went. Maybe I should get bumpers on my Rabbit now, don't want to talk to the same cop in a couple weeks and still have no bumpers.
Old 06-13-2004 | 08:47 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yea, probably a good idea. In the first case, the guy was probably "looking for something" to pull you over on maybe to check for any probable cause of drunk driving or something. . . Probably a good idea to have the bumpers on though - why give 'em a reason. Getting pulled over used to scare the crap out of me, but last few times, its pretty much been a "let me run your license & registration" kind of thing and a warning about something (burned out taillight or whatever) and a "see ya". Most cops are okay, some (and I've had run-ins with these too) are ******** and are on a power trip. Those are the ones to watch for, so get those bumpers on.
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:26 AM
heybiff
Instructor

Default Get Euro bumpers

The plastic ones. Small, paintable, and lightmaybe 15lbs each and easily available here.

-heybiff
Old 06-14-2004 | 11:26 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

You're an outlaw.
Old 06-14-2004 | 11:36 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

At least the last times you got pulled over you didn't have guns drawn on you for no apparent reason.
Old 06-14-2004 | 12:16 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Get Euro bumpers

Originally posted by heybiff
The plastic ones. Small, paintable, and lightmaybe 15lbs each and easily available here.

-heybiff

The euro bumpers are like $100. Maybe I can make some "dummy bumpers"
Old 06-14-2004 | 02:15 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Peckster
You're an outlaw.
Old 06-14-2004 | 02:24 PM
dmurray14
Advanced

Originally posted by Bhj0887
At least the last times you got pulled over you didn't have guns drawn on you for no apparent reason.
Oh come on...now you have to tell the story!
Old 06-14-2004 | 05:18 PM
clouddomino
Instructor

You are very fortunate, I never seem to encounter any "nice" police men. In fact they particularly let to give tickets and chase people. My advice to the police, crown vics are slow and have less than wonderful handling pick you battles well.
Old 06-14-2004 | 06:30 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Originally posted by clouddomino
My advice to the police, crown vics are slow and have less than wonderful handling pick you battles well.
The Crown Vic (Police Interceptor) is not as slow as you seem to think. Have you ever driven one? Now they definitely don’t handle as well as my 944 and they do get a little sloppy as they get abused, if they aren’t maintained. But they do have something that is much faster in those cars then any thing you are driving. And that is the radio. Also Crown Vics aren’t the only thing police departments use. Besides the different cars there are also the planes and helicopters. They don’t need to be fast at all once they have your plate and they may have gotten that before you even noticed them. A lot of departments are also using dash mounted cameras now so they may have even gotten your pretty face on tape along with your plate.
Old 06-14-2004 | 10:53 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

cool avatar maxx
Old 06-15-2004 | 12:01 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

From the OT section, this is mine. The first one had a reason only because some idiot who didn't like us called .

I've had guns pulled on me 3 times in less than a year, everytime I didn't do anything wrong.

1st time, someone reported that me and my friends had 9mm's (they told them the specific gun and everything) and were going around shooting random things. We were walking down the road when 5 state troopers surround us, jump out of there cars with guns pointed, yelling the usual routine.

2nd time, 2 AM on rt 84, I was doing about 70 mph, I get pulled over, I remember I wasn't too worried because I thought he would let me off with a warning. Anyway, he pulls behind me and sits there, 10 mins later I see 2 more troppers pull up and the one who orignally pulled over gets out stands in the middle of the highway with his gun pointed at me and yelling for me to "keep my hands up and get the f*ck outta the car."
This time it was because the cop was a complete idiot who didn't know how to read or something because he claimed that the liscense plate # he entered was reported stolen. He also doesn't know what the difference between my silver saturn and a burgandy buick lesabre.

3rd time, I was driving through my own community in PA. I was with my friend. We drive past the 1st intersection and see cops on both sides, we ignore it since it was a private community and unless they were called for something they cannot pull me over for anything even if I was doing 135 mph. I pull up to the pool and my friend gets out and started walking up to the pool. I was sitting in the car finishing my cigarette when I see a swarm (I mean I have no idea how many of them were there) of cops. They really surrounded me this time, and had like 10 officers pointing there guns at me. Of course this had to be in my community where everyone knew who I was. Anyway they said I met the description of a recent robbery becasue I was wearing a "wifebeater" and jeans. They even took me into custody and started questioning me, idiots didn't even bother looking at the surveillence video for 3 hours, then they got a glimpse of the guy and he looked nothing like me and was wearing a dark wifebeater (i was wearing a white one).
Old 06-15-2004 | 01:41 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Got another encounter today.
Was driving through mountain roads, at a moderate pace behind an E36 M3. Go around a turn and I see that there are PG&E trucks cleaning up a fallen tree or something, and one of the lanes are closed. The cop lets the BMW and the WRX in front of it pass and makes me stop. Taps on the glass and signals for me to roll down the window.

Officer - "Is your speedometer broken son?"
Me - "No sir, i believe it is operating correctly"
Officer - "Well then you should have known that you took that turn at 45, and this is a 30 mph zone."
Me - "I was taking it easy officer, the BMW in front of me was going 50 or so, but you didn't give him a talk." (I probably shouldn't have talked back)
Officer - Well, I didn't see the M3, but I'm sure the judge would like to give you a talk as well if I decide to write up a ticket"
Me - "That won't be necessary officer"
Officer - "Better not let me catch you speeding down these roads again."

I was kinda pissed because he didn't talk to the WRX or the M3 in front of me, but whatever. I probably shouldn't have talked back to him.

Can cops even give tickets like that? He was just standing there, no radar gun or anything.
Old 06-15-2004 | 02:01 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

[i]He was just standing there, no radar gun or anything. [/B]
I would say a big no. How did he know you were going 45? Just bs if you ask me. Considering what has been happening to you I would take it easy!
Old 06-15-2004 | 02:50 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

those cops at the top of the mountain were the nicest, most unbeleivable cops i have ever met. Go those cops! (they liked the smores too!)
~Eyal

Quick Reply: Had 2 Encounters with Police last night.