Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips for quick acceleration with manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Z-man, where are you in NJ. My Dad was from Helmetta. Think it was about 50 miles south of NYC, near New Brunswick, I think???
Old 06-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Predator:
I'm in Wayne, NJ. (Passaic County).

My best friend lives in Bridgewater, just outside of New Brunswick.
I'm about 45 minutes from Helmetta.

Small world. But I wouldn't want to mow it!
-Z.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally posted by Bhj0887
I'm telling you a Honda Oddessey will slaughter a 944 off the line. And the newest ones actually hold there own. They pull like .8 g on the skid pad.
Grassroots did an article about a year ago on the honda odd-issy. They compared a stock honda to a early 911 and XKE i believe at an autocross on michelins proving ground.

They were pretty shocked when the minivan ran better times than the real sports cars.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Tom R.
Grassroots did an article about a year ago on the honda odd-issy. They compared a stock honda to a early 911 and XKE i believe at an autocross on michelins proving ground.

They were pretty shocked when the minivan ran better times than the real sports cars.
For the record, it was a Honda Odessy vs. a 356 vs. a Jag XKE.

And yes, the Honda kicked butt! But it better kick butt when it goes against 40+ year old cars!

Regardless, I'd rather be cruising in either a 356 or a Jag than a mini-van!

-Z-man.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:21 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

Z,
There was something about R tires and rain. did they get the Rs on the old cars?

What sold me on my 92 legend coupe in 96 was when I was driving the PO (an elderly lady, neighbor) to car dealerships to look at another lease and it started raining. the legend coupe was as fast as my two RX7s, quieter, and took sweepers as fast. not having to shift and getting the same pickup was nice too. The quality of my legend coupes was phenomenal. I regret selling mine when we bought a four door. should have sold the S2 then, and bought another one now.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The cam does nothing that depressing your foot a little further won't do.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:59 PM
PorscheMonkey
Instructor

Maybe its all in my mind, but I just put a weltmeister throttle cam in and it just feels peppier. Maybe ignorance is bliss
Old 07-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

btw anyone notice a drop off in power when you put the pedal to the metal at under 3,000 rpm? take off at half gas and then put your foot to the floor to get rid of it....odd....almost like you suck too much air in or something..

Andy
Old 07-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Well since my 944 is an auto, I don't to hear anyone else complain about theirs getting off the line slow..

My other car is a manual and does a decent job getting off the line though
Old 07-13-2004, 08:19 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

andy, this is pure conjecture based off of vaguely remembered posts, but I seem to recall that the DME sends the car into a rich fuel map when at WOT. Ever so slightly lean will actually produce more power, but is more dangerous to the engine as over lean melts pistons. The more power comes from the higher temperature, and chemistry says that PV=nRT. Pressure being what gives you power. So it could be faster due to running a little bit leaner when at partial throttle.

Also, there are some in the school of thought that ever so slightly rich is more powerful, as it then consumes ALL available oxygen.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:01 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

You said that this is your first manual car, so what you most likely need is a good bit of practice. You should spend a sunny saturday in a parking lot just practicing starting from a stop. Not launching it, just getting the car going and up through third smoothly.
I know a friend of mine who's been driving for years could use a couple days doing this, he always messes up going from 1st to 2nd. Needless to say he won't be driving my car for a long while to come.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:22 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Andrew, i agree completley with what your saying. A buddy of mine has been driving standard for a while now, he was even the one who taught me how to get the car going smoothly at first (explained friction point...etc to me). He has a very bad habit of riding the clutch out when hes already in gear. He tends to over rev the car when starting, its hard to explain in text but basically when he pulls away, you hear the engine rev to about 3k rpms, drop down to about 2k as the clutch engages, then raise in rpms again. Its smooth...but its also hell on the clutch. We always comment after he leaves "Ah, love the smell of burnt clutch!". He tends to release the gas to late on quick shifting also. Example, when up-shifting quickly he tends to release the gas after hes already pushed the clutch in to shift. Basically it sounds like this if you can imagine.... "Rrrrrmmmmm RRRMMMMM -shift- Rrrrmmmmm". Its funny because i used to think this was normal until another friend of mine (much better at driving standard) told me it wasnt normal .
Old 07-13-2004, 11:43 PM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

What's a soccer mom?

Why would I care?

Last edited by goingboeing737; 07-14-2004 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:35 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Man, this thread sort of got highjacked..

1st off.. Welcome to the boards...
as far as the best way to get to 3rd.. this is what I do.

floor the accelerator while letting up on the clutch, as soon as the clutch is all the way up, push it down and throw it into 2nd ( thats about 2.5 seconds into second )... Count " One and Two ), third gear varies as to the conditions. I use 1st gear to just get roilling, the 944 has enough torque to accelerate in 2nd.
If you don't shift into second that fast, you just incease the RPMs with no real output.

Try this in an open parking lot to get the feel. You will be confident in a short time...
I hope this was informative..
Enjoy your new 944 and feel free to ask again of us.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:33 AM
ThorntonJ
1st Gear

i know this thread is kindof old, and im sure some one has said this, but i have not read all the posts, so im sorry if this is a repost.

i am 16, and i love my manual tranny, my first 3 months where in an auto, but after that i switched, and i LOVE it.

the key to a smooth, fast start up, is one of two things,

1. slower clutch...

or more likely if you are trying to accelerate fast...

2. MORE GASSSSSS!!!

^^^ not giving it enough gas is a mistake allot of newbies to manuals make, infact, im only 16, and i still make the mistake, it can be hard to judge at times based on the incline how much gas to give.

the principle is always the same for FAST acceleration though in my experience. ease onto the gas, and begin to drop the clutch, when you are ready to bolt, drop the clutch, and floor the gas, and be ready to change gears.

neutral to #1 is going to be hardest, it requiers the most gas for a smooth start up, once in motion, a manual can start up without your foot on the gas, and with some practice (i dont recomend this, bad for the tranny over time) you can start up without any gas. go into first, and slowly ease off the clutch till you start moving, keep lifting off the clutch till you are at about 7-8 mph then up shift.

although im sure allot of you know this already, i hope this helps someone with the same question

Quick Reply: tips for quick acceleration with manual transmission