Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips for quick acceleration with manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you ever had to do a clutch job in one of these cars?

Anything transmission-related is a BIG PITA - think carefully before embarking on such a project, although it would be interesting.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make like you are too cool to be dragging mini-vans.

They are beneath contempt.

They do not exist in your universe.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Adam Roberts
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever had to do a clutch job in one of these cars?
yea..last year.
here's pics.
http://www.skalar.org/porsche/

I honestly think people are unfoundly afraid of transmissions. Its just another mechanical device.

With that said, I need to replace the 1st & 2nd gear synchros on my Turbo.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

Most of those soccer moms are too busy on there cell phones or are just easy on their vans/suvs.

I'm telling you a Honda Oddessey will slaughter a 944 off the line. And the newest ones actually hold there own. They pull like .8 g on the skid pad.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree with Devon: in 1st gear you have enough power to be competitive with most cars.

The way to launch the car might be not easy on the components, but it's not like it will wear them withing a month or two.

Most people know how to do it, but since you asked, here's how I do it: Rev the engine to 3000-4000 rpm with the clutch pedal depressed, and release the clutch fast while gently adding gas. The trick is not to rev it down while launching (keep proper amount of gas), and not to or barely spin the wheels.

I've been doing this daily for over a year, and didn't do damage yet.
Of course, I don't deny the component wear is faster than during leisure driving.
Have fun (and be carefull while doing it)!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:29 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds pretty bad for your clutch/trans Stan! Good luck!!
Old 06-14-2004, 04:30 PM
clouddomino
Instructor

I'm gonna chime in with yieldsign2, I have no problem getting off the line. Even before I installed my stage 3 clutch and performance flywheel I could take late model (94-98) GT mustangs til about 60-65mph. However SS camaro's and TA's are a different story. My advice to you Dorsia is to drive your car eventually you'll learn it's behaviors and exactly when and how she wants to be shifted. Experience is the best thing for becoming faster. But beware where you decide to race the ever threatening soccer moms, because police like to give big tickets to sports car drivers for some reason.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:42 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Heck in my 944 NA daily driver I got beaten off the line by a Winnebago. I was doing my normal casual drive away.

These cars do not lauch well unless you are hard them. Why be hard on the street? Yeah 1st to second shifts can be a bit tight. I noticed that in my 944 NA & 944 Turbo when trying to go a little quicker. I mostly don't both with it and just take my time. What is the rush? I know what my car can do enough not to concren myself with the soccer mom in the lane next to me. Once in second gear I may give her a little more juice, but even then unless the road turns not that much will happen in my NA. My turbo is different, but even then there is only so much and the car does it best work in the corners.

I feel much more satisfaction in nailing a heel and toe downshift down into second before a 90 right at a corner. Especially fun at freeway on ramp. Try to have the soccer mom in the mini van follow you after that!.. Ha
Old 06-17-2004, 04:45 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a procedure that works well for off-the-line starts, guaranteed to embarass soccer-moms:

1. floor throttle, don't feather, don't lean into it, just mash it!
2. as revs fly past 4000rpm, side-step the clutch. That is, push your left foot to the left off the pedal
3. feather throttle to keep revs between 5000-5500rpm
4. as spinning tires catch up to engine, floor it to 6500rpm
5. let off gas slightly to shift, keep revs above 4000rpm
6. shift into 2nd and side-step clutch (tires will continue to spin in 2nd, scaring any soccer-moms in the area).
Old 06-17-2004, 05:01 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I have done 2 wheel spin starts. Guess what, i have a new CV in the mail. You play, you pay.

....I dont play very often anymore.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Predator
Pro

Where's that soccer mom? I'll take her on... and show her a thing or three!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Predator
Pro

Try installing a throttle cam. It may make it somewhat easier to accelerate by opening the throttle at a faster rate that stock. I meant to offer this advice in the previous my reply, but I haven't had my coffee yet!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:37 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb

My solution to this issue is buying a Ford Lightning.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Danno
Here's a procedure that works well for off-the-line starts, guaranteed to embarass soccer-moms:

1. floor throttle, don't feather, don't lean into it, just mash it!
2. as revs fly past 4000rpm, side-step the clutch. That is, push your left foot to the left off the pedal
3. feather throttle to keep revs between 5000-5500rpm
4. as spinning tires catch up to engine, floor it to 6500rpm
5. let off gas slightly to shift, keep revs above 4000rpm
6. shift into 2nd and side-step clutch (tires will continue to spin in 2nd, scaring any soccer-moms in the area).
hmm. i dont knokw if you were being serious.....

but.. if number 4 was meant to be saying the tires are spinning from your original launch, that's kind of impossible, as the NA won't spin the tires for more than a few feet and that is with launching at 5000 rpm or over...

or are you saying you got the tires spinning by the side step clutch? not sure whta you meant by that. are you saying you step on the edge of the clutch partially disengaging it and immediately slipping your foot off, essentially popping the clutch before you got out of first gear?

frankly, i didn't quite understand teh side-step clutch thing...

not that i'd probably do this anwyay, since i'm sure the tranny or cv's would be a pile of scrap metal after a few tries of this...
Old 06-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I am a little surprised that no one mentioned this yet, but there is a simple, 5 minute / $25.60 mod that will help you with off the line acceleration. It is called a throttle cam.

(See performanceproducts.com for details)

This unit replaces your stock throttle cam. It is a simple install. While it may not give you more horsepower, it will give you quicker throttle response.

No, you probably won't beat any soccer moms with it, but if you will get a little better throttle response, which is what I think you are seeking.

But to be honest with you, I'm sick and tired of all these soccer moms and Winnebego's challenging me in street races!

Like others have stated: hard launches with our cars are not a good idea. Our cars have an independant rear, and the CV joints aren't designed to take all that force when accelerating hard. They ARE designed to carve throught the twisties, though!

HTH,
-Z-man.

Quick Reply: tips for quick acceleration with manual transmission