Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some honest opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 08:54 AM
rixter
928 OB-Wan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's ok, if the decision was mine I'd restore it but have too much on the plate already, someone make me an offer he can't refuse and come get the car, I'd much rather see it go whole than part it
Old 06-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the offer, sell it to Matt for what you need to get out of it.
(If he wants it, that is..)
- It's really not that bad, mostly cosmetic- but that is based on 1 picture.
Overall mechanical condition will dictate true value as a whole unit.

The PD's offset is definetly an issue- hopefully it was just an uninformed wheel replacement situation, and the suspension is correct for the model and year.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:10 PM
rixter
928 OB-Wan
Rennlist Member

just an update, I have the car offered to Todd for a set price, I can get the car to him here in NC, if Todd decides he doesn't want it I'll let ya'll know, I appreciate the feedback sorry about any "issues" in my posts I was only being as honest as a I could about the car, personally if I had the space and time I'd give him what he wants for the car and restore it but such is life...
thanks again
Rixter
Old 06-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Chiming in late here, Don't part it. You will have parts for years that you'll have a hard time to just *give* away. There are so many people parting 944s because their values are depressed right now, and all it takes is a small accident or major mechanical failure to make the cost of fixing it more than the value of the car when fixed. So people just part them when they don't want to fix them and can't sell them.

There is such an overabundance of good used parts for 944s now that you probably won't fare any better trying to part it. I parted a 70k mile car that had less damage than yours (just like yours but front fender was okay) because in a year no one wanted to buy it whole for $1000. It took me another year to get $500 for the engine, $300 for the transmission, and $150 for the set of phone dials. I still have the rest of the car in boxes, save for the bodyshell.

Take a weekend or two to clean it up. Then sell it whole, spare yourself the work and agony of trying to sell a ton of parts that everyone else already has, and be happy that you saved one from being senselessly and uselessly scrapped.

Cheers,
Old 06-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Chris_924s
I second the offer, sell it to Matt for what you need to get out of it.
(If he wants it, that is..)

The PD's offset is definetly an issue- hopefully it was just an uninformed wheel replacement situation, and the suspension is correct for the model and year.

Good Luck with whatever decision you make.
Chris -

A thought on the phone dials - perhaps the previous owner was going for the same look that the cars with Fuchs have? i.e., the fuchs cars have 1" wider rear wheels, and putting an 85.5/86 phone dial on the back of an 87/88 car would give it that "wide" look in the back... ....early phone dials on back = easy way to widen your rear track!

...I don't know how that would affect the car's handling, but boulevard cruisers who just want to be seen in a "Porsh" will probably not notice!

Cheers,
Old 06-14-2004, 03:39 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Tony K
Chris -

A thought on the phone dials - perhaps the previous owner was going for the same look that the cars with Fuchs have? i.e., the fuchs cars have 1" wider rear wheels, and putting an 85.5/86 phone dial on the back of an 87/88 car would give it that "wide" look in the back... ....early phone dials on back = easy way to widen your rear track!

...I don't know how that would affect the car's handling, but boulevard cruisers who just want to be seen in a "Porsh" will probably not notice!

Cheers,

Maybe. But it appears to me that the phonedial is not sticking out far enough if it is an early wheel on a late-offset rear. It looks more like a complete early offset rear suspension and wheel set-up to me. I saw a car with a screwed up set up like that at the Taj event 2 weekends ago, Pete was quick to spot it.

Quick Reply: need some honest opinions