Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for carpet removal driverside footwell and around hood latch.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 04:48 AM
dkraven
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tips for carpet removal driverside footwell and around hood latch.

On the journey of chasing down a leak that dampens the carpet between the door frame and the clutch (left side car). So far have removed the A frame trim and confirmed the sunroof drain isn't the problem. Now I need to pull back carpet so I can get someone to spray water on the outside and see if I can spot where on the metal water is getting through.

First question, any tips on carpet removal with the intent of replacing it. I don't need to pull all of it, just that lower left side. So far I've been brave and pulled the door trim, pulled back that fabric tape holding the carpet to the frame, and started trying to pry the carpet back.
Also, if anyone knows anything about that fabric tape, as in is it something just available at a hardware store or a special item, please let me know.

I'm trying to be careful and not rip/damage anything and there's lots of insulation and rubber backing and stuff I'm worried I'm going to destroy as I pull it away, so if you've traveled this path please let me know where to tread lightly and where to just pull stuff out!

Do I need to pull the fuse box to get the carpet out? It seems like it might just pull out from behind it, but not sure.

Last bit for now, in trying to get the hatch release switch out I popped the button off the switch and a little metal electrical contact came flying out. Anyone know how it goes back in? I might need to use trial and error.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-01-2024, 09:06 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

the carpet is glued to that fluffy insulation. it will come out without much force but that insulation is coming with it, and probably won't go back in.
loosening the fuse box will make it easier to pull out, yes

that fabric tape should've been glued or sewn to the edge of the carpet at the door frame.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:35 AM
orig944
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraven

Last bit for now, in trying to get the hatch release switch out I popped the button off the switch and a little metal electrical contact came flying out. Anyone know how it goes back in? I might need to use trial and error.
Search for window switch repair, it is the same kind of switch. There should be some pictures of how it goes together.
Old 07-18-2024, 02:48 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you ever make any progress with any of this? I have the same leak/problem and I am also finding no info on removing the hatch switch. What holds that in? Do I remove the inner switch part or the outer frame surround?
And did you ever find the leak? I had a ton of leaks on my car and I've cured all but 4, none of which is very bad except for the one this thread is discussing! And getting down to 4, by the way, is progress!
Old 07-29-2024, 02:38 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Also -- I have been trying to source that black fabric tape referenced above (the "edging") for a couple of years now. Did you or anyone have luck? No dice on my end.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:46 PM
GasPowered
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nashvegas
Also -- I have been trying to source that black fabric tape referenced above (the "edging") for a couple of years now. Did you or anyone have luck? No dice on my end.
You might try to contact Werk924.com.
They're in Germany and usually respond to emails pretty quickly.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Tips for carpet removal driverside footwell and around hood latch.