Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! I have no spark and this is my only car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HELP!! I have no spark and this is my only car...

Ok folks. The catalytic converter got clogged so we gutted it out. Before the catalytic converter clogged up, my EGR tube broke and caused a huge exhaust leak. We sealed that up and fixed the exhaust leak. When I had the exhaust leak, the car would be driving along in 2nd gear. When I switched to 3rd, the rpm's dropped very steadily and calmly. I couldn't restart the engine unless I waited a minute or two. It did that 4 times over a period of two weeks. Yesterday, it started up and drove around the block, but died the exact same way after less than .25 of a mile. I waited a few and it didn't start up. Today, after I let it set overnight, it started up and died after 1.5-5 secs of it starting. Now it just cranks and cranks. I verified that I have fuel (The fuel pump is running.) Replaced the DME relay with the 87na DME relay and still no start ( I know the 87 is good, because it always starts.) Coil is new. Plugs in good shape, but not sure of age of the wires. I only have no spark. Unplugged and replugged the speed/reference sensors, but the plastic broke inside the plug. Although, they snapped back together. Anybody have any suggestions? The local places want 68-80 dollars an hour to just diagnose.

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Old 06-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also.. The tach needle moves when cranking and the boost gauge is a hair off of 1 when cranking...
Old 06-09-2004, 05:21 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would check the fuel pressure.
Old 06-09-2004, 05:29 PM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're sure that you have no spark, then it could be a faulty reference or TDC flywheel sensor, or a bad DME or KLR box.

If you want, you can send me your DME and KLR box to test... I'll only charge you the cost to ship them back to you.

gb
Old 06-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Justin, ask Red 1 how long it took him to diagnose his speed and ref. sensor that were causing the SAME thing.

IIRC, the first step in diagnosing no start is to Ohm the sensors.

BTW, George, good to see you here, I thought you disappeared!
Old 06-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

The ohms can be tested using the connectors on the top side, correct?
Also, is the DME the same in the 87na as the 86 turbo? I mean, is the only change, the KLR?
Old 06-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok folks, new developments in the 951 no spark problem. I changed the wires and got the car to fire up, but I was dumb and had #2 and #3 plugged in wrong, so the car ran rough. Switched 'em and the car idled great. I tried pulling injector 4 and the car died, 2 and 3 car still ran, injector 1 car died. Then I tried revving while at a stand still. It revved a few times, and then died with the same brick wall pattern. Now it takes a whole night of sitting to let it start up again. So, I just tried starting it at around 8:15 am EST and the car ran, but rough. I tried driving, forward and backward a little. Not too much, because it is raining and I don't want to get too wet pushing the car. I didn't let it run enough to die today, but I could turn it on and off. It also has a new distributor cap on it, but the same rotor button, due to the fact that the set screw doesn't want to come out. Every time it dies, the spark goes away. Any suggestions?
Old 06-11-2004, 09:38 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FPR? sounds a little like fuel starvation. How old is the fuel filter (PITA but cheap).

The spark goes away- it sounds like DME. Tap it while cranking and see if she starts, and definetly check the speed/ ref sensors for a loose plug/ short. Check the resistance on #1 and #4 Plug wires, it should be about the same ohms as #3 and #2.

Justin- 944fest is a great gathering for other ideas if it's not resolved by 4th of July. be there and it will get fixed.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I checked the resistance on the speed/ref sensors and it fell right into specs. My old wires had zero resistance two of the wires. The fuel filter is original as far as I know. You want me to tap one the DME relay, right?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:00 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justin, did you ever get that multi meter? Sorry I haven't got back to you, but I've been swamped with things going on.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

yep. You can have a helper tap the DME with a screwdriver handle (Not so hard you dent it..) while cranking- it may just connect a cold solder somewhere on either board or the ribbon cable, IF same conditions exist- you could probably rule out the DME.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin, didn't get one, but Nate came over with one to test... I wil try the DME tap and also the DME shuffle with the 87na and see if it helps.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:15 AM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have my old fpr if you want to test that. Are you the dme will work? I don't think I would do that. The turbo cars got bigger injectors the na cars did I believe. The fuel curve is going to be way off and even if it is working it would probably give you the same symptoms that your getting now. Someone else with more knowledge on this can chime in, but I don't think that would work too well.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

DME Tap dance and shuffle..
Old 06-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Justin Browning
Addict
Rennlist Member

I meant just the relay. I think the actual DME works. I assumed that is what we where talking about (relay). If i could borrow the fpr that would be great. If Bud comes down today we are gonna through a fuel pressure gauge on and do a compression check.

Quick Reply: HELP!! I have no spark and this is my only car...