Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another paint question!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 07:06 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another paint question!!

Okay guys, I have removed all of the old home depot primer. I told the guy at the auto store that I will be shooting the car with acrylic urethane paint. He then picked out a couple of cans of primer and said "these should work". It is automotive sandable primer which clearly states, "This is a lacquer product"

Is this primer okay for my acrylic urethane top coat/clearcoat?

-Christian
Old 06-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm not sure that a laquer primer will be compatible with a Urethane based paint. Do a search on google. The last time I did I came up with some interesting websites that told about types of paint and what's compatible to what. I'm sorry I can't give you the link to the site that I found it off of since I don't have the URL in my history anymore Good Luck and I hope everything turns out better this time.

Andy
Old 06-08-2004, 07:35 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Where are you buying your finishing products at? Don't go to anywhere other than the place that sells stuff to the body shops. "These should work" is only going to get you in more trouble. Ask the guy that "knows" they will work.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:55 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

good thing I asked here, because I dont want to have a repeat of yesterday.

-Christian
Old 06-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

find a new supplier, yours doesn't want to be bothered. no lacquer ever. How much do you have invested in paint? I would recommend dupont,standox,ppg,sikkens,glasurit almost anything but s.w. If you would like a shopping list of some user friendly products let me know your budget and I'l make some contacts in Ca. as the products are different out there then the ones I sell here.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:13 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

laquer primer will work!! the thing is say, eurethane and enamel are not very harsh, and regular enamel doesnt dry for a while, like totally for a year. If you spray laquer which is really harsh - laquer thinner- over enamel, it bites and will lift the non dry layers. You CAN spray enamel over laquer primers. The problem in my opinion is quality. Laquer primer soaks into the body fillers, edges between two colors like between the paint/ and oem primer etc...Eventually it shrinks down and leaves little rings on your new paint job. Eurethane primers are less likely to do this, as they are activated to dry faster, and are higher fill. You can use laquer but you will need to put about four coats on and sand w/ 320 down to 500 grit between each coat to assure smoothness. I would use a hi fill euro primer, but LAQUER WILL WORK>
Old 06-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Lacquer is not acceptable because it does not cure, it only dries, and this it does from the outside in forming a skin and trapping solvent(thinner) which penetrates body filler etc. The only benefit is that is cheap. Will it work?Sure. Take the car to Earl Scheib, that would work too. Cutting corners now will ruin these cars... why?To save $100 or $200? Proper materials to do this yourself can cost as little as $400-$500. Add labor to redo later and how much will be spent?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:26 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

no, laquer does dry, you are thinking of ENAMEL. I was a paint rep for dupont and the chromabase systems.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:27 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I have about 600 or 700 invested in paint. I went back to SW, I complained about the lack of support I was recieveing from their staff. In return they gave me a a quart of the proper ultra 7000 primer.

So I am okay now, thanks alot for the help and encouragement guys. I really appreciate it. WHen the paint job is done friday, I will post some pics.

-Thanks again
Christian
Old 06-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Burma Shave
Burning Brakes

Good luck. That primer sounds better. Are you priming the whole car with a quart?
Old 06-09-2004, 12:12 AM
Geo
Race Director

Lacquer is an evaporative finish, i.e. it forms a film by the solvent evaporating. The resin remains unchanged and can be redisolved by the solvent.

What this means in practical terms is that when you spray one coat of lacquer over another, you don't get separate layers of film, but rather, one layer disolves into another creating on homogeneous thicker layer.

Virtually all other finishes you'll encounter are reactive finishes. In a reactive finish, the resin undergoes a chemical change as the film is formed. It cannot be redisolved by the original solvent.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:24 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Geo,

I've painted quite a few cars, mostly with PPG urethane stuff, never lacquer, but I just learned something that I had never known before. It makes sense too! Good job!
Old 06-09-2004, 12:28 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

he said homogeneous....hehehhehee.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:53 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by SeaCay
Geo,

I've painted quite a few cars, mostly with PPG urethane stuff, never lacquer, but I just learned something that I had never known before. It makes sense too! Good job!
Thanks.

It's actually something I learned from a woodworking finishes book. Very informative.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

laquer primer will work!! the thing is say, eurethane and enamel are not very harsh, and regular enamel doesnt dry for a while, like totally for a year. If you spray laquer which is really harsh - laquer thinner- over enamel, it bites and will lift the non dry layers. You CAN spray enamel over laquer primers. The problem in my opinion is quality. Laquer primer soaks into the body fillers, edges between two colors like between the paint/ and oem primer etc...Eventually it shrinks down and leaves little rings on your new paint job. Eurethane primers are less likely to do this, as they are activated to dry faster, and are higher fill. You can use laquer but you will need to put about four coats on and sand w/ 320 down to 500 grit between each coat to assure smoothness. I would use a hi fill euro primer, but LAQUER WILL WORK>
This is Exactly correct...! Sprayed Laquer many many yrs ago it seems, usually I try to stay away from the stuff.....I like Sikkens...! The newest clearIII is pretty dam good....as far how it lays out, how it dries, how compatible it is with other base sytems like PPG, and Dupont...and how it wet-sands and buffs....

DAmian

Quick Reply: Yet another paint question!!