Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Insulation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Hood Insulation Questions

Any preferences on the type of hood insulation pads to buy. I have seen the OEM(looks like black foam) and and the aftermarket(which have silver foil look to them). Also any tips on removal of the old, crumbling insulation?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory eventually went to no hood insulation starting in '89 I believe.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:13 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have fun with the removal. I've done it to my early car (sold) and now my turbo. With the early car, I put a sheet over the engine compartment and scraped it off with a Bondo scoop. Then used 3M Adhesive remover to get the glue off. Pain in the ***.

For the turbo, I put tape next to the hood hinges so I could line them up, and took the hood off the car. Put it upside down on a paded box, and had it done in 1/2 the time--with less cussing. Then flipped the hood back over, and bolted it back on. Have at least 2 friends with you to remove install the hood. Pay them with a beer. I've read a lot of posts with people breaking the windshield by not holding the hood well enough. Even with removing the hood, it was quicker and easier-I used the same process by the way.

The early car was perfect, so it got original hood pads from Performance Products, and they looked great. I haven't decided what to do with the turbo. The 89-91 cars did not have anything but a pad above the distributor-maybe I'll do that-
Old 06-04-2004, 03:36 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes,
plastic scraper ( i used the wife's pampered chef pot scraper)
3M adhesive remover to soak the area prior to scraping.

My advice is because of the high PITA factor, do it over a few weekends - 1/4 of the area at a time.
suck off the old insulation with a shop vac or at the car wash.
i didn't remove the hood and had no problem removing the adhesive, let the solvent soften the stuff abd it should scrape easily.
I purchased OEM pads, but after i removed all the old adhesive i decided not to re-install the pads
Old 06-04-2004, 03:43 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 88 non-S Turbo that has no pads and doesn't appear to have ever had one...
Old 06-04-2004, 04:39 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

My 89 S2 has nothing but shiney original paint there. The factory deemed the insulation uneccessary and that's good enough for me.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just another tip: Cover the engine bay with something (garbage bags? Rubber floor mats, etc) so that you don't get any of that stuff in your engine bay as it's a PITA to clean up.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:10 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

I got the OEM pads from some dude on Ebay. Something like $90 for both.

I put a plastic drop cloth over the engine compartment and got an old plastic spatula and scraped away. You don't have to get it clean as a whistle, but get it pretty cleaned up.

When you put the new ones on, line it up carefully and start peeling the backing off i little bit at a time. You only get one shot at it.

Turned out great! Keeps the paint from exteme heat.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can afford to take the car off the road for a day or two, take the hood off the car (you will need help from atleast one friend, two makes it easier). Lay the hood down on a surface that wont damage it (obviously not the asphault). Soak a few rags in the 3M adhesive remover and lay them ontop of the residue you want to get off the hood for a few minutes. Remove the rags then scrape away with a plastic bondo scraper. Its a good idea to wax the underside of the hood if you plan on leaving it bare, otherwise just reapply the insulation. I strongly recommend against going with the OEM stuff, id go with the aftermarket reflective backing type stuff.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:37 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

plastic scrapper?? oops.. so thats what happened. Anyone else use a metal scrapper? Please tell me im not the only one...
Old 06-05-2004, 12:50 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Place a sheet over the engine.

Peel off excess insulation.

I put 3M adhesive remover in a plastic spray bottle. Spray, in a well ventilated area, scrape with a PLASTIC scraper. Clean up with a rag soaked with paint thinner, in a well ventilated area.

1 1/2 hours (tops) for me to do.

Wash and wax.

Probably lost a few brains cells. The ones I lost weren't being used anyway.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:59 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

When they got rid of the hood insulation on the later cars, did they put any type of heatshield over the exhaust manifold? I've got a fiberglass hood, and have been concerned about the heat, I've ran the car a few times, and it gets pretty warm on top of the hood.

Quick Reply: Hood Insulation Questions