Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield washers don't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 04:46 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield washers don't work

I had some time today so i decided to try and see if i could fix the little problems that I have on my car. I got most of them done except for one that has really been bugging me. My windshield washers do not work. I turn them on and the wipers move, but no fluid sprays out. I took a test light and there is power to the pump, but not very much. I tested the pump to see if it was working and when i connected it to the battery and ground it worked fine. Any one have a clue why i'm not getting enough power to the pump to run it??

Thanks,
Chad
Old 06-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pump may be too worn to build up enough pressure, or your washer system check valves (under the hood, below the nozzles) may be clogged or, as recently happened to me on the 83 with a new pump, you may have some buildup in the little filter fitting on the hose inside the washer fluid tank. Cleaned mine out good, and the pressure is great now.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:44 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luis mentioned the very problem i had with mine. The check valves under the hood where all clogged up. A way to test this is to fill the washer tank up with fluid and remove the hose from the under side of the hood...have a friend in the cabin flick on the washer jets and see if fluid comes out of just the hose.

If it does your check valves are clogged up, and preventing the fluid from making it to the spray jets. Don't worry they are realy cheap - like 2.00 each. Not bad for ANY part on these cars. I'd start there since they are the cheapest part in the washer jet system...

Hope that helps!
Erich
Old 06-02-2004, 07:46 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea - You'll need to hold the lever back for a few seconds, this is because the fluid needs to travel all the way to the end of the hose. You can also hear the pump working if i remember correctly...If you dont hear the pump or get fluid then you have other problems...

Erich
Old 06-02-2004, 11:54 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

The pump doesn't run when i pull the switch because there is not enough power going to it. When i powered the pump by running wires to the battery it ran fine and shot fluid out fine....
Old 06-03-2004, 12:23 AM
Greg86andahalf
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PO of my car added a relay to the washer pump. Uses the weak motor feed from the lever to trigger the relay which switches battery voltage to the motor. I haven't had the time to chase the actual source of the problem down yet, but I suspect dirty or arc'ed contacts on the washer switch on the steering column switch, or bad contact at the fuse. . The relay is a work-around untill I find some time.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:10 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Wombat7,

Greg is right. The problem is too much resistance in the contacts on the wiper switch so there is not enough current getting to the switch. The contacts are dirty or arced. You may be able to clean the contacts to get it to work for a while, but the solution is to replace the wiper switch.

I had the same problem on my 83. I put a $5 relay in the circuit like Greg's car. Used the power from the switch to pull down the relay and supplied power from the battery with a fused wire. It works, but by the time you get the parts together, you've spent about $15. New switch is $47.

Quick Reply: Windshield washers don't work