Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning loses power when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 03:51 PM
DruDawg
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning loses power when accelerating

I need a little help with the A/C on my 82 N/A. I've been searching.... but haven't come up with anything. I just had R12 added which greatly reduced the temperture of the air coming out of the system. However, now when I have the A/C on & I accelerate, the air stops blowing cold & I hear what sounds like a sucking noise coming from under the glove box. The cooling capacity has always been reduced somewhat when going up a steep incline, but it's never done it when accelerating nor has it been this pronounced. My only thoughts are that it might be tied to the alternator belt tension as I recently had it out of the car..... it seems pretty tight, though. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what was the resolution?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 05-30-2004, 04:03 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno if this is what you mean but....

There is a switch on the Throttle body of just about ever car ever built with Air conditioning. This switch gets depressed during hard throttle, what it does is disengages the A/C clutch, so the A/C compressor gets shut down during hard throttle to increase engine power.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:53 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Do you hear a loud squealing? The alt belt could be slipping. Also I have heard of cars shutting off the a/c on hard acceleration.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What year is the car?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:01 PM
DruDawg
5th Gear

It's a 1982 924. There's no squealing sound & it only happens when the engine is under load. The harder I accelerate the less A/C I get. The A/C works fine when you rev up in neutral. The switch on the throttle body sounds like it might be the culprit but ... wouldn't the switch function the same way regardless of engine load? If it is the switch, I'd like to know if it can be adjusted or disconnected. It gets mighty hot down here deep in the heart of Texas.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:08 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Check your vacuum connections and hoses under the dash and to the vacuum accumulator next to the battery. When you floor it you loose vacuum and the vacuum actuators in the vent system can switch closed.
That could be the sound you are hearing, or you could have a bad actuator
Old 05-31-2004, 04:24 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

There is a switch on the Throttle body of just about ever car ever built with Air conditioning
I think this is generally called a ac cutout switch. I don't think the 944 has one.

When you floor it you loose vacuum and the vacuum actuators in the vent system can switch closed.
The early cars have cable operated dampers.

I think Kevin Baker has the right idea. Check the compressor/alternator belt tension. It's supposed to be really tight. IIRC, it's tensioned to 9 with the p9201 gauge (the timing belts are about half that).
Old 06-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the 944 does have a switch that turns off the AC when you are under full-throttle.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:34 PM
DruDawg
5th Gear

I think most of the problem was due to a couple of vacuum connections in the engine compartment. The vacuum tube coming off the bottom front of the throttle body was seriously mangled from years of engine heat. I replaced it & snugged up the tube going to the vacuum reservoir. These two things totally eliminated the sucking noise & now I only lose the A/C when accelerating really hard. I'll be replacing all the vacuum & fuel lines as they have never been done. I'll check the belt tension too. Thanks to all of you for the advice!

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning loses power when accelerating