Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Online Rip Off

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 04:10 AM
jenket944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been pretty happy with 944online. I ordered sway bar bushings in the wrong size (didn't measure before I called). I sent them back and he quickly turned around and sent the correct size out to me. I've found them to be responsive when I tell them exactly what I'm looking for.

Related but slightly OT
Does anyone know if Jamie drives a Porsche? I was on the 408 East-West Expressway last Friday and I saw a white 951 ahead of me. After I passed him, he pulled back even, we rolled our windows down and gave each other a thumbs up. It was pretty cool...a definite Porsche fellowship moment. Anyway, while in line for the toll booths he complimented my car and said his was an 87. It had some green/orange curvy stripes on it. Had a business name on the back, but don't remember it (wasn't anything car related). Last thing he said was 944 online....weird, so I figured it was Jamie (definitely wasn't Ian). Really nice fellow, waved to me down the road when he took his exit.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:11 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

jamie has a... well... used up '84 with fake C2's, crappy interior (torn up tan/brown), and okay gold paint. he's bordering the kraut obsession, but it's still a 944. i can't bash his taste in cars, but i can bash his taste in mods

-Mike-
Old 05-29-2004, 10:57 AM
ERAU-944
Race Car

yeah, the price you pay if you don't know what you're buying, and you're being sold a part by a salesman.

give me a break, the guy's out there to make money. can't blame him for trying! unfortunately he can't remember who all to play games with and who not. if you don't want to buy parts from him that's your choice, but i'll sure as heck send anyone i know to him, with the instructions to question the price. its pretty simple! the parts are good, and ian's a pretty decent guy.

now, please, at least read my name! then it might make me think you read the rest of my post.

dont make me ashamed to be from enfield.

-Mike-
Old 05-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ian's Euro is first and foremost a dismantler, and very competitive one at that.

IMHO you go to Ian to buy used parts that would be substantially more expensive new, or elsewhere - e.g. used rear trailing arm, flywheel, etc.

He's not a "one stop shop" and you need to go to the other aftermarket suppliers with catalogs for new parts or small stuff like hose clamps.

He doesn't stock all those little new parts, he has parts cars. If you keep this in mind when ordering from him, you'll find he has the best deals and service on used parts. Period.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I have had nothing but superb experiences with Ian. Everything I order from him comes faster then any other place, he has treated me better then ANY other place, and his parts are solid, and the price he quoted me was right along the lines of Paragon and the like. His customer service to me was superb. I WILL shop at 944 online again. He even thanked me so much for my business!
~Eyal
Old 05-29-2004, 01:44 PM
jenket944
Pro

Originally posted by ERAU-944
jamie has a... well... used up '84 with fake C2's, crappy interior (torn up tan/brown), and okay gold paint. he's bordering the kraut obsession, but it's still a 944. i can't bash his taste in cars, but i can bash his taste in mods

-Mike-
I wonder who the guy in the mystery 951 was, then? It looked to be in very good shape...from what I could tell by creeping beside him toward the toll booths. I do remember he had turbo twists.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes I believe Jamie told me he had an early car when I asked him some questions about why my $500 compressor wasn't tensioning up properly and instead hitting the bracket. He seemed helpful, asked if I'd send some photos so he could try and figure it out, but I got it resolved and didn't need to. I'm not saying they're bad by any means (in fact they seemed downright helpful and interested in answering questions) but I was a little annoyed at something being sold as a "134a conversion kit" having only r12 fittings on it. Turns out r12 is better anyway, but they should sell it as a replacement a/c compressor kit - compatible with r12 or r134a. That's more accurate.

I'd probably go there again though.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:02 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My only experience with Ian was trying to buy several expensive body panels after my accident. I was looking at spending $800, but apparantly he wasnt interested. I called 3 times and he always said "Im very busy call me back tomorrow."

Parts heaven is only slightly more expensive and way more reliable.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

For my own experience.... I've always had very positive experiences with Ian. He habitually goes far beyond the norm in helping me out of whatever the "problem-of-the-week" may be and follows up with shipping and information quickly.

I would not hesitate to recommend him to a friend!!!

I'm not dismissing the opinions of others, I can only contribute my own experiences!

Jim 1987 944S

Washed
Waxed
It stops
It runs
Old 06-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Boobers
Advanced

My experiences with Ian have been great. He is very knowledgeable and willing to give advice. He spent a great deal of time with me on the phone. As far as price goes, yeah he is expensive. I don't fault him for charging a premium(or trying to). Why get out of bed in the morning if you're not going to make any money?
Old 06-01-2004, 01:54 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Schlicten
I will give Ian Credit!
lazie Faire

Yes the only way to continue to keep these 944's in rolling is that somebody had to make money.

I guess it is just offinsive to believe that a guy would cut others one deal while leaving he rest hung out to dry!

I Although his prices were a little more he had the stuff there inno time and they were orginal parts!
laissez faire? By that I am guessing you mean that the consumer has the individual right to chose whether they do business with Ian or not? Or perhaps that Ian has the right to price his inventory however he sees fit?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:48 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a bit surprised about this discussion. I have been using 944 online and working with Ian for the last 7 years. I always shop around. If he has what I need and the price is reasonable he gets my business. I have had many enjoyable phone conversations with him, and he at least seems to remember who I am.
He is a business man plain and simple and does what he needs. I will use 944 online again, as well as all of the other recyclers/suppliers that cater to the 944.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Predator
Pro

For my $.02 worth, Ian is a straight up guy. Yes, sometimes he's busy (arn't we all). Yes, he has to deal with the public everyday, and I personally can't imagine doing this, especially with the mornic questions he must receive, examples of which are within this thread. I purchased one of his rebuilt TT in Dec 03. It failed within 300 miles. He replaced it, no questions, in a timely manner with a gracious apology. IMHO. Ian rocks and he provides an invaluable service to this brand. What would we all do if we had to purchase parts from our "supportive" dealers?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I get it.

Re. Ian, I have had a handful of dealings with him and all but one have been satisfactory. The one that went south on the other hand really pissed me off. Let me 'splain:

I contacted him to see if he had any manual window regulators about 3 years ago. Turns out he had a 924SE in that he was parting and told me he would sell me the regulators and door cards (interior panels) for some insanely cheap price. So I told him I would post a check to him the next morning for the amount plus his shipping estimate and he said that would be fine. Well, the next day I called and told him I had decided to pay with a credit card since I didn't really want to wait for the check to get to him via mail, then have him wait for the check to clear, etc. He tells me, get this, that he had gone ahead and sold the parts to somebody else since he didn't think I was really interested. WTF? One day lapses and he somehow comes to the conclusion that I didn't want the parts?

Anyway, I didn't do business with him for a while, but then I got over it and have bought a couple things from him since.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:33 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Gabe (Strasse) over on the west coast. Best service I have seen.

Quick Reply: 944 Online Rip Off