Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight aiming

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023 | 10:47 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Default LED headlight aiming

I purchased LED headlights at only944... Products | LED Headlight Conversion Kit – Porsche 924, 944 - Only944.com
I installed the driver's side light only, for now.
The aim and/or light pattern seems a bit strange to me... the right-hand portion of the beam seems to go very high, noticeable when driving, illuminating trees and 2nd floor bedrooms in the neighborhood. But the left-hand portion of the beam looks close/reasonable.
So I'm wondering if I need to re-aim the light. I'm wondering if this light is OK at all.
And does it matter what the rotational orientation of the actual light bulb is (it can rotate relative to the reflector/housing).
Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Before (both headlights original). Camera is just below the rear-view mirror.

After. The driver's side headlight is the new LED one. Notice the higher beam height toward the right side of the driver's side light. (Passenger side light is original).
Old 08-11-2023 | 11:20 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Default LED headlight.

I would lower the light beam a little. Where the center of the mass of light was about even with the mass of the RH beam. You can have this checked at an inspection station. They now apply a suction device to the bulb for alignment.
Old 09-19-2023 | 08:26 AM
Gforce1108
Advanced

I rarely drive mine at night (that will change a bit as it's getting darker earlier). But I did have it out last week with these new lights. Not bad at all. Beam pattern was decent (didn't get a chance to take a picture). Better than what you show above. And yes - with most LEDs it makes a difference in rotation. Standard filament construction doesn't matter as much, but the design of most LEDs does. I will try to get a picture uploaded soon to show how mine looks.
Old 09-19-2023 | 10:59 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is kinda characteristic of the H4 style beam. I also have the Only944 kit, and it's just like my older H4 conversion beam pattern.
Old 09-19-2023 | 11:28 AM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

The LED bulb itself must be clocked in the proper rotation to have the correct lighting pattern. Many/most LED bulbs are able to be rotated separate from the housing - I recommend trying that and rotating your bulb 90 degrees or so. Maybe it will help.

For anyone reading this thread looking to upgrade their lighting, I would recommend an HID kit similar to the Dapper Lighting V1/V2 kit over an LED kit. The added cost is by far worth it. The cutoff is superior as well as the intensity of light over LED's, especially given that LED's kits often use a standard Halogen housing (such as the only944 kit). These "LED bulb in a halogen lens" setups tend to not have the best pattern because LEDs most often are constructed with a 180 degree panel with LEDs on each side, and dont shine 360 degrees like a halogen. This causes issues when paired with a halogen lens, causing light to project differently and in strange directions, as the OP has discovered... Not worth it IMO.

Or do what I did and do the DIY HID mod (I think I spent like $200-250 for everything - lenses, ballasts, bulbs, etc - but had to do a good amount of fabrication work):

Based on this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...or-lights.html

Last edited by walfreyydo; 09-19-2023 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2023 | 02:08 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
The LED bulb itself must be clocked in the proper rotation to have the correct lighting pattern. Many/most LED bulbs are able to be rotated separate from the housing - I recommend trying that and rotating your bulb 90 degrees or so. Maybe it will help.

For anyone reading this thread looking to upgrade their lighting, I would recommend an HID kit similar to the Dapper Lighting V1/V2 kit over an LED kit. The added cost is by far worth it. The cutoff is superior as well as the intensity of light over LED's, especially given that LED's kits often use a standard Halogen housing (such as the only944 kit). These "LED bulb in a halogen lens" setups tend to not have the best pattern because LEDs most often are constructed with a 180 degree panel with LEDs on each side, and dont shine 360 degrees like a halogen. This causes issues when paired with a halogen lens, causing light to project differently and in strange directions, as the OP has discovered... Not worth it IMO.

Or do what I did and do the DIY HID mod (I think I spent like $200-250 for everything - lenses, ballasts, bulbs, etc - but had to do a good amount of fabrication work):

Based on this thread:

more info on this HID conversion please!
Old 09-26-2023 | 02:18 PM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

The link to the thread is in my post, but here it is again. I followed this guide to make my own. Credit goes to @kbull

Some forewarning. Components are critical. Cheap reflector lenses and cheap bulbs/ballasts will yield worse results. In hindsight for an extra $150-$200 I could have gone with the Dapper V2 setup, or invested in some nicer components. I also relied HEAVILY on "The Retrofit Source" and their videos for further guidance on components and methods. I also purchased the
Murimoto BiXenon Murimoto BiXenon
control unit to control my high/low beams

Last edited by walfreyydo; 09-26-2023 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: LED headlight aiming