Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A canyon run that didn't end to great, yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 06:43 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point that we shouldn't assume that it was his fault and based on wreckless driving. There are a million possibilities. I will say that the most likely cause is excessive speed and lack of control in a situation with excessive speed.

I am sad for him in either case as he is suffering. Assuming it was caused by his wrecklessness, I have absolutely no pity for him.

The real issue here is not his injuries or this specific wreck. It is that this activity in general shows no regard for other people. I don't care if he wants to find a perfectly sturdy brick wall with nobody around and drive into at 150mph. Kudos to your deathwish. (I do have a problem with it if he has loved ones though).

This activity is inherently wrong because in order to participate it must be done with diminishing regard towards those who are not knowingly forfeiting this. This is wrecklessness. He knowingly put everyone around him in grave danger (is there any other kind? :smirking. I did this when I was 16. I got in a minor accident caused by excessive speed and learned my lesson. I WAS 16! IT WAS CHILDISH STUPIDITY. I AM EMBARASSED BY IT. I don't care about my car, but I do care about what my actions could have caused to my passengers and to other people. At that time, I was blind by my own cockiness, lack of experience and stupidity. I learned the hard way.

For those that drink, at the end of the night, you are given a choice. You can call a cab or drive home drunk. Maybe you are only 7/10s drunk, maybe 9/10s. Either way it is cheaper/easier/quicker than calling a cab and having to go pick up your car the next day. Most of the time drunk drivers are fine. Most of the time they only hurt themselves.

But hey, let's have fun and just drive drunk, right?

Or wait, you can't stand drunk drivers as they put your life in danger unnecessarily.

Max
Old 05-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Singpilot
Advanced

I stopped going to these when common sense was replaced by uncommon stupidity.

The good drivers were not the problem.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:52 PM
P944forScott
Racer

Originally posted by Jay W
Where the heck are the guard rails on that road??? How many people go off those cliffs in a years time?
Uh, California is a big state with mountains running up and down for 1500 miles... unless we want to jack up our taxes (even more) no way we can armco every inch of back highway.

I got a nutty idea, how about people drive at responsable speeds and don't fly off the road?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Bernie
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Eyal 951
Will, It was a modded S4.
~Eyal
Didn't you mean A4?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:43 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

An S4 is Audi's Hot car built off of an A4. like a M3 vs. a 325 for BMW.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:47 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

I see no problem with someone enjoying a couple of twisty roads, as long as they do it responsibly. Driving responsibly means that they don't cross the center line, they keep their speed around the speed limit, they don't drive beyond their ability, and they anticipate the unexpected. I took a motorcycle safety class last month and some of the best advice that they gave me was to play the "what if game" while driving. No matter if you are commuting to work or if you are enjoying a weekend cruise, you should always ask yourself what would happen if a dog ran in front of me, or what would happen if my tires lost traction? If you do not have an answer to these questions, you better adjust your driving habits. There are several "keep it on the track" threads in the archives, so I won't go into such a debate; however, a safe speed on a public road is determined by the surroundings, not by the driver's or the car's ability.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:02 PM
Greg86andahalf
Three Wheelin'

I remember there was a drive last year by some Rennlisters on the east coast where they were bitching about the cyclists being on the road, but they have every right to be out there as well…..)
Blue Ridge Parkway in May, last year. about 70 928's and a ton of bikes didn't mix well.

The orginizer of the 928 event moved this year's event to June to give the bikes their space and give the 928's more room on the road.

A fair compromise .
Greg
Old 05-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by P944forScott
Uh, California is a big state with mountains running up and down for 1500 miles... unless we want to jack up our taxes (even more) no way we can armco every inch of back highway.

I got a nutty idea, how about people drive at responsable speeds and don't fly off the road?
Don't build the roads if you can't build them right! They paved them didn't they? I've seen dirt roads with guardrails.

Tifo, I really don't care if the law alows for 2 bikes across or 6, when you're holding up a dozen cars for a period of time you are a D!@K. Moving to single file to allow cars to pass on a narrow 2 lane falls under the heading of common courtesy. I don't recall anyone saying they were D!@Ks for being on bikes, they were D!@Ks for their lack of courtesy.

As far as Eyal's tenths goes, keep in mind that it's his own system, not the one you hear about trackside. It's obvious that this is the case, otherwise he'd know that 2/10 is pushing your luck on a public road that DOESN"T have a cliff next to it. I'm guessing he got the Honda to what most would consider <3/10.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:07 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Yea, I don't think Eyal rates himself as a "pro". Thus his rating is based on his ability. That said Go the the f*cking track or autocross. You mean to tell me that someone with a GT2 can't afford a 125 DE? Gimme a break. There is a time and a place for this type of driving. Guess what, it isn't on a public road. Fun thought it may be, when we went throught the twisties in the Sam Houston Nat'l Forest, we were doing what 50 60 and without crossing the centerline. I hope the best of luck for the driver of the Audi, and for the support and prayers of and for his loved ones. Eyal, I know you don't want or expect to end up in that situation, but your actions are putting that end at risk. You may want to consider ALL outcomes of the decision before it's made.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:11 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Dave

Tifo, I really don't care if the law alows for 2 bikes across or 6, when you're holding up a dozen cars for a period of time you are a D!@K. Moving to single file to allow cars to pass on a narrow 2 lane falls under the heading of common courtesy. I don't recall anyone saying they were D!@Ks for being on bikes, they were D!@Ks for their lack of courtesy.
I'm not going to get into this with you. Let's just agree to disagree on this. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Dave
Race Car

Tifo, I'd like to hear the part I'm missing, PM me if you'd like to fill me in and I'll try to be open minded.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:34 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I want to clarify that I am not against "spirited" driving on public roads. I am against the type of driving that Eyal has described. When you are pushing the limits of a GT2, you are dong more than just "spirited" driving. We are talking about a race car for the street! Even in our 944s and 951s, pushing near the limits on streets is not smart.

Our cars are to be enjoyed. Liken this to handguns (regardless of your position on gun control). There are people that enjoy shooting handguns. I am not one of them, but it is a hobby like our cars are. They shoot them at shooting ranges in a controlled environment. How would you feel if they had makeshift shooting ranges next to a kid's soccer field? Hey, it would be cheaper and probably a blast for them. Maybe in the woods of a national park?

Max
Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by macnewma
How would you feel if they had makeshift shooting ranges next to a kid's soccer field? Hey, it would be cheaper and probably a blast for them.
Depends on if you are shooting within your limits. You know, something around 5/10 or 6/10. And being courtious to other shooters in the area.

lol, j/k
Old 05-27-2004, 10:40 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, as long as it isn't armor-piercing bullets and M16s, it would be cool. Maybe if they just slow down the shooting when kids walk by.

Max
Old 05-27-2004, 10:56 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

GAME OFF......<kids walk by, get a few feet out..> GAME ON!!! Bam, Bam Bam!!

Quick Reply: A canyon run that didn't end to great, yesterday.