Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New race car not running. Coil wire and other help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004 | 11:30 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Default New race car not running. Coil wire and other help needed

Need a little help here please. Took the new S2 out to shake it down at Putman Park Raceway. The car lost power after the first couple of laps. The power would come on for half a lap and then sputter, it happend in turns and down the straight. A couple of times it would buck and run at 2K rpms with the pedal down to the floor. The car has new plugs and wires but the coil wire was not replace so it seems as it was cracked along the length. As there were only a couple of early 944 at the race I had no wire to swap out. I am instructing at Road America this coming weekend and need to get a list of all possible components that could be the source of problem aside from the coil and coil wire. I think the coil wire was arcing hence the loss of power but to be safe I am going to change out the fuel filter as that and the coil look orginal (100K car) At idle the car is fine, sitting in the paddock. and even rev'ing out of gear. I have to think it is the coil wire but are there any sensors that could be causing the problem afer the car gets up to temp? I would like to assemble a stock of possible parts that could be the problem as I cant test the car on the street and would hate to get to Road America and find out the coil wire was only part of the problem.
When I drove around the streets, it ran fine, up to 60mph and in stop and go traffic (used the 993 plate, not very legal...)

I did put a Ohm tester on the wire and flex it, reading jumped all over the place. The plugs have a pretty good coat of black carbon (I was told they are new and the car has about 60 miles on the plugs and wires)
I am going to do the engine test in the dark garage to see if anything else is arc'ing

Thanks in advance for any insight
Old 05-24-2004 | 12:23 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Eric, call me if you need help. I am having the GTG this weekend but I can be available most any time with some notice.
Old 05-24-2004 | 12:38 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Matt,
I did not hear back from you about last weekend and the 993 test drive?
PM me your # I think I missed a message from you. eric.cyranski@algx.com
Old 05-24-2004 | 11:26 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Bump, for the morning readers

Quick Reply: New race car not running. Coil wire and other help needed