Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porsche 924 door lock/mechanism?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 02:47 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question porsche 924 door lock/mechanism?

I have a 78 924 and right after i bought it the driver side door lock stoped working, you can lock and open it fromt he inside but the door lock on the outside doesn't work. it did work when i bought it but 2 days later the keys won't turn at all in the lock i tried greasing the key and but it did nothing.

Also the other day i made a sharp turn and my driver door swung open, very dangerous, its because of the metal thing on the body that the door locks into gets loose always and when it gets loose it moves and the door has to be slamed a couple of time to get it closed. the passenger door closes fine and the lock turns fine but it doesn't also open from the outside cus the door handle when you pull it is disconnected formt he wire or something and doesn't open the lock mechanism, it moves loosly, but i don't realy care about this door just the driver door.

The driver door when closed , the part that is closes to the rear of the car stick out a bit unlike the passenger door which is flush all the way around, is this bad?
Old 05-23-2004, 02:50 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Um. . . yea. The door should be flush - sounds like something is either loose at the door frame pin or the latch that fits on it (in the door) is loose. Check those. If they're loose, simply tighten 'em. If they can't be tightened up, they might be stripped, or need some lock-tite on 'em.

Unsettling though it may be, remember if you're buckled in properly, you won't fly out of the car if the door pops open. Don't freak. I had a similar thing happen to me in an airplane (non-pressurized) one time and yes it's unsettling, but really no big deal other than annoying.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:57 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

yeah i always wear my seatbelt, i was going pretty fast around a corner and it was early morning so i was lucky there were no cars or my door would have slammed into another car...

and my driver door is flush all the way around except the area where it meet the metal bit on the body where the door mechanism locks into the body, this area is sticking out a bid from the body. Aslo this is the door that opened and the metal bit on the body got loose, i had to stop and use a wrench in my car to retighten it but i'm sure it will come loose again and my door still sticks out.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:03 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Anyone know how i would get my door lock replaced? i'm pretty sure door locks aren't fixable or would take too long to fix. Would my mechanic shop be able to find a new door lock, and lock mechanism?
Old 05-23-2004, 03:16 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think there's a write-up on Clark's Garage or Pelican about it. Don't think it's really all that bad. Check "changing your door handles to 968 handles" if you don't find it under "door handles" or "door locks", the information would likely be similar.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:29 AM
Yummybud924
Drifting

i don't want to do it myself, i want a mech shop to do it for me, but where would the get a new lock mechanism and lock for my car? will it be expensive? How long would it take for the mechanic shop to find the parts?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:55 AM
MarlonBrando
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they would have to get the parts from a dismantler or a dealership that, by some act of deity, has them in stock.

It's not too hard to fix, just buy a replacement door latch and new door locks (tumblers that go into the handles) and lock mechanism. You can dissassemble and reassemble it easily, but a shop is going to charge you upwards of $20/hour to replace a door, with like $50 worth of parts.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:58 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need parts? A great resource you may not be aware of is www.924.org

Go to the Discussion Boards and I guarantee you'll find the parts you need.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:51 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

thanks, are the parts from other people or from 924org?

Quick Reply: porsche 924 door lock/mechanism?