Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First 944 Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 03:00 PM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default First 944 Clutch Replacement

Hello, back again after awhile of good running. I've finally decieded to replace my clunker of a clutch and I'm trying to prepare myself for anything to come. The only thing I don't know enough about and can't find answers for is the speed and reference sensors. I have an early car, 1984. I know the bracket doesn't have the sleeve on it that goes into the bell housing so can I just remove the sensors and leave the bracket? I would like to not have to re-adjust the speed and reference sensors.

Thanks,
TurrFinn
Old 06-11-2023, 07:47 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Yes, if you have the early bracket without the EMF shield, you can just pull the sensors and leave the bracket behind. One other thing I would definitely do on my next clutch install is remove the heater valve and tie the hoses up out of the way. I was amazed how much they got in the way of getting the bell housing off and back on. I would've stopped and done just that but I kept telling myself it shouldn't be necessary. It was only after I got the bell housing back on that I realized how much time I wasted fighting with it.
Old 06-11-2023, 08:17 AM
DHS928
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Also make sure you get to the negative ground cable off at the top of the housing, start spraying PB Blaster on the sensors now to get them lose.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:33 AM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Just an update, everyhting went smoothly. The heater control valve (I'm pretty sure thats what it is, if not correct me) was very in the way but I managed to with some new fancy tools from Harbor Freight. I got everything intalled except the clutch fork bearings, don't have the tool to do so and they looked good and worked good. Rubber was everywhere from the old clutch, I have no clue why Porsche designed that like that. I only have 4 bolts till the car runs and the torque tube to the back of the car, and the car will be driving. I know people wouldn't suggest even letting the engine rest on the motor mounts but I did however, jack was too in the way. I also found it was nearly impossible to remove the bell housing without jacking the front of the motor up. After that it was a breeze. I'm going to make a thread to hopefully help future people about the little things nobody tells you about, especially if your new. I will link it here after I'm done.

Link: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post18856848

Last edited by TurrFinn; 06-14-2023 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:11 AM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 251 Posts

Too late now, but I pressed my clutch fork bearings out in by bench vice with two sockets of appropriate size. One larger than the bearing to act as a sleeve to push against, and the other matching the diameter of the bearing to push it out.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:07 AM
TurrFinn
Instructor

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Too late now, but I pressed my clutch fork bearings out in by bench vice with two sockets of appropriate size. One larger than the bearing to act as a sleeve to push against, and the other matching the diameter of the bearing to push it out.
I attempted to do that but without the vice and I just found I couldn't. I will definitely do it within the next year because my torque tube does need to be rebuilt. Its not making a horrible sound but I know its making a faint click. I just need the vice or a press.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:00 PM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by TurrFinn
I attempted to do that but without the vice and I just found I couldn't. I will definitely do it within the next year because my torque tube does need to be rebuilt. Its not making a horrible sound but I know its making a faint click. I just need the vice or a press.
Vice's can be found pretty cheap used ($20-$40), they almost never go bad, and they are an incredibly useful tool to have at your disposal (not only for pressing stuff in out, but just for holding parts and so forth so you can get leverage on them). Id try to find one (biggest you can afford/fit on your bench) on facebook marketplace or something. I bought a 12 ton press from Harbor Freight as well, for more beefy jobs like wheel bearings, bushings, etc. Press probably not needed for the clutch fork bearings, but it is handy to have. If you dont want to get a press, you can also take these things to a shop and they will usually do it for you for a small fee on their press.

I would also recommend making friends with a local automotive shop. I have one here where I bring my car for alignments, buy tires from them and donate used engine oil for their burner (usually most other things I fix myself), but developing that relationship will help you in the future. For instance, they will routinely run stuff through their parts washer for me and press out bearings/bushings for me before I bought my press. If they are mounting a set of tires at the same time, or something else, they usually wont charge me. They also run a towing business, which is another good option to have just in case my car were to break down at the track or autox event (hasnt happened yet thankfully but that fear always lingers), and they have little ways they can load more of the cost to my towing insurance and limit my out of pocket expense.

They know I am a DIY mechanic and Ive developed some friendships with some of the other mechanics in the shop as well who are curious about my car and the work I have been doing to it. I also bring my daily driver and my wife's car there for any work I cant do at home, which is usually just tires and alignments, but they still appreciate the business. Its a pretty good symbiotic relationship.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 06-14-2023 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: First 944 Clutch Replacement