Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 Porsche 944 - Value/Price Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2023 | 08:16 PM
Maudib32
5th Gear

Question 1984 Porsche 944 - Value/Price Question

So I want to pre-tense this with the fact that I have an '84 Porsche 944 that I am selling. I am looking to see if I have a ridiculous price on the car or if I'm inline for somewhere around what it should be. Now I wanna also pre-curser this with the fact that I am very new to Porsche vehicles and took it on as a project car. Got some money into it in parts, supplies and other items. Then had to re-locate and put the car in storage and do not have a garage for it anymore. Hence after having it in storage for a long time I'm selling the car.

Here is the details of the car:
Porsche 944
Year: 1984
Milage: Exempt
Interior: Grey
Color: Red
Title: Clean

Engine: None
Transmission: Manual
Torque Tube: Present and Accounted For

Extra Parts:
90's Era Porsche Wheels
Extra fog lamp cover - One on the car is broke
Black Leather Front Seats - OEM
Black Leather Rear Seat - OEM
Black Door Cards - OEM
Black Rear Interior Trim - OEM
Black Glove Box Door - OEM
Black Center Trim - OEM
Black Dashboard - OEM
Sachs Clutch
Driven Steering Wheel - Needs Refurb
1 Disk Brake (Not sure what is with that but was in the car when purchased)

Things found:
Aftermarket Suspension (would have to look again to see what kind)

Attached are pictures.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on what the possible value on the car.

Thank you so very much. For the feedback.

I have been told it's not worth more than $1500 if not $1000 or less.

Old 06-07-2023 | 09:15 PM
Qtrfoil
Instructor

It's really in trouble. I'd need to see a lot more pictures, especially of the interior/dash, to know if there's much worth picking through. I don't like seeing a window that's probably been open for a very long time, and what look like salvage/auction marks on the glass. Without those pictures I wouldn't make an offer at all, but there may be others who need panels. If the wheels are original Porsche they're worth something, look for a part number stamped on the back..

For someone who is new to Porsche, this isn't a valuable model of car, and this one doesn't have much to offer. I would expect no one to buy it online, and anyone who wanted it would spend a lot of time looking at specific parts in person.

I'm sorry, but if I could get $1500 I'd take it.

Last edited by Qtrfoil; 06-07-2023 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2023 | 09:42 PM
Maudib32
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Qtrfoil
It's really in trouble. I'd need to see a lot more pictures, especially of the interior/dash, to know if there's much worth picking through. I don't like seeing a window that's probably been open for a very long time, and what look like salvage/auction marks on the glass. Without those pictures I wouldn't make an offer at all, but there may be others who need panels. If the wheels are original Porsche they're worth something, look for a part number stamped on the back..

For someone who is new to Porsche, this isn't a valuable model of car, and this one doesn't have much to offer. I would expect no one to buy it online, and anyone who wanted it would spend a lot of time looking at specific parts in person.

I'm sorry, but if I could get $1500 I'd take it.
So it was a lot in an auction due to being left on the street. Found the old owner and he just pulled the engine and left it for someone to pick up and move to his new place and they never did. The car itself interior isn't in bad shape and it lives in Nevada. The window fell recently when I was taking the pictures and I didn't have the space to pull all the parts out of the car and take pictures of every component. It is a Nevada Car and was once upon a time a track toy. I know this because there was registrations in the back of the car when I purchased and I spoke to the old owner. He had a couple of cool race event jackets in the back so I hunted him down to give them back. As one was a kids jacket that belonged to his son so it was a bit of a keepsake for him. The wheels have a part number stamped on the back of them. I would have to pull one again to verify it but that is one thing I do remember checking. Grey dash in the car is cracked but the replacement black one is not. There is sun damage on some of the components of the interior but overall it's not in terrible shape. The car body has no damage on it. Title is a clean title. It was destined for an LS Swap (or GM 3800 Supercharged or the current gen V6 out of a Camaro), Tub and 10.5 Slicks but life got in the way. It was going to be my car for running Drag and Drives and was going to get a Corvette drivetrain through and through.. Also the iphone the pictures were taken with sucks as a camera. The other thing it's been in outside storage for almost a year now......so the layer of dust on the inside of the car and the outside of the car is ridiculous and shows as such on the pictures even with windows up there would be dust everywhere. It is the desert after all.

Being an hotrod/muscle car guy I got into this one because it's F/R engine config. Didn't really care about the value on what the car is. Was looking at what it could be when worked on and done. But like things go....life got in the way of the project.

I have an offer on the table for $1800 for everything or $1500 for the body and "keep the wheels" as he put it. I have about $3k into the car right now as it sits (including purchase price). I don't expect to get all of it back but was looking to see what it was worth. Also I'm 100% taking the feedback advice on this and it's appreciated.

Last edited by Maudib32; 06-07-2023 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Adding Info
Old 06-07-2023 | 09:57 PM
Qtrfoil
Instructor

It's in Nevada NOW but there aren't many of these cars which live where they were born. I'd like to know what the VIN says about where it's been before it got its layer of dust, and I'd want to spend a lot of time with a magnet and a flashlight before I got interested in anything. Anyone who is going to drag it won't care about the interior anyway.

But I wouldn't really care about any of that. There are people with much more patience and skill than I who can make something with this, but it won't be because this shell is worth anything. A pre-85.5 944 is the least valuable version of a not very valuable model, this one is in horrible shape and has no engine. The old owner didn't even think the car was worth parting out and abandoned it. If someone puts an LS in then the LS will be worth something, but the body still won't be worth anything. Not knowing what the wheels are, if I could get $1,500 I'd take it, and I think they'd be buying the torque tube.

I bet most of us have gotten into these situations, I sure have. None of what you planned to do matters at this point, we are where we are. If I could walk away from this with a loss of only $1,500 I'd wash my hands, put on a smile, and not give the loss a second thought. Of course, I'm not married...

Last edited by Qtrfoil; 06-07-2023 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2023 | 12:18 AM
Maudib32
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Qtrfoil
It's in Nevada NOW but there aren't many of these cars which live where they were born. I'd like to know what the VIN says about where it's been before it got its layer of dust, and I'd want to spend a lot of time with a magnet and a flashlight before I got interested in anything. Anyone who is going to drag it won't care about the interior anyway.

But I wouldn't really care about any of that. There are people with much more patience and skill than I who can make something with this, but it won't be because this shell is worth anything. A pre-85.5 944 is the least valuable version of a not very valuable model, this one is in horrible shape and has no engine. The old owner didn't even think the car was worth parting out and abandoned it. If someone puts an LS in then the LS will be worth something, but the body still won't be worth anything. Not knowing what the wheels are, if I could get $1,500 I'd take it, and I think they'd be buying the torque tube.

I bet most of us have gotten into these situations, I sure have. None of what you planned to do matters at this point, we are where we are. If I could walk away from this with a loss of only $1,500 I'd wash my hands, put on a smile, and not give the loss a second thought. Of course, I'm not married...
The married bit.....I am (>_>) lol....but i appreciate the advise. VIN was registered origionally in CA and it went to NV. The story on the car is the engine was getting fixed. He moved and the "friend" that was supposed to pick up the car never did and it was hauled away. I appreciate the honesty.....I'll take the $1800 and the hit.
Old 06-08-2023 | 08:25 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

car with no engine? best case, $1k for a straight body/intact interior.
as-is, if someone is offering $1800, then take it and run.

Presentation is worth a lot. right now you have a dirty car full of junk with flat paint and an ugly steering wheel.

take all the spare parts out of the car. vacuum and wipe down the interior. find a stock steering wheel to swap in.
wash it and clean the wheels well.

if you have the time (or can hire it out), the red paint should be able to be buffed/wet-sanded to get some shine back.

you can pick up a cheap running engine from Tim Comeau down in San Diego, get it running, and if you clean the car up as suggested it could be a $4k car or better.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 06-08-2023 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-08-2023 | 11:30 AM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
car with no engine? best case, $1k for a straight body/intact interior.
as-is, if someone is offering $1800, then take it and run.

Presentation is worth a lot. right now you have a dirty car full of junk with flat paint and an ugly steering wheel.

take all the spare parts out of the car. vacuum and wipe down the interior. find a stock steering wheel to swap in.
wash it and clean the wheels well.

if you have the time (or can hire it out), the red paint should be able to be buffed/wet-sanded to get some shine back.

you can pick up a cheap running engine from Tim Comeau down in San Diego, get it running, and if you clean the car up as suggested it could be a $4k car or better.
Agree with this. Non-running car, so many unknowns, and thats just with the engine, not to mention other major issues such as clutch, TT, suspension/bushings, trans, electrical, etc. You get the car running and cleaned up, you could sell for at least triple that $1000-$1500 price.

A non-running car means theres no way to test and see if there are other major issues going on, and therefore, most buyers have to take into consideration that those other issues may exist and price their offer according to that. There was a guy locally trying to sell a non-running 944 in even worse condition than yours for $2500 and all I could offer was $500.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 06-08-2023 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 1984 Porsche 944 - Value/Price Question