Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My post to Pablo on Bimmerforums

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 11:36 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Default My post to Pablo on Bimmerforums

I wrote this to Pablos attention on bimmerforums.com in the Forced Injection section where he usually lurks.

What's up with the Project 951?

Come on man, it seems like you're just screwing around with thing. $4k in heat shields and labor.

Stop shopping from Performance Products regardless of the stuff they give you for advertising. Noone serious about madifying their 951 shops from that over-priced waste of time.

Kokeln is OK but there are better tuners for less money.

When are you going to get serious? I don't care about just power. I want to see this done right.

Daniel
Old 05-20-2004, 11:49 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

Daniel,

he has over $50k in mods on his turbo M3. The 951 is his wife's daily driver. He probably wouldn't want to see her rip his *** open with just $10k in mods on the 951....
Old 05-20-2004, 11:50 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be interested to see his response to that. Please post it for us...From what ive read that project is a joke...

Erich
Old 05-21-2004, 12:14 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally posted by eclou
Daniel,

he has over $50k in mods on his turbo M3. The 951 is his wife's daily driver. He probably wouldn't want to see her rip his *** open with just $10k in mods on the 951....
If you search for 'Pablo' with me as the poster, you'll find my letter to European Car from a few months ago:

This is what I sent this morning. I don't expect a response...I cknow this isn't a comprehensive list so I don't mean to exclude any other reputable dealers/tuners.

"After reading the newest issue with exhaust upgrades made to the 944 turbo, I have to ask why is Pablo running only 7.5 psi? Even the stock exhaust is capable of supporting 300rwhp and 12+ psi. With the Kokeln turbo, headers and cat-back, he should have seen over 300hp on the dyno if he just dialed up the boost.

I recommend he should look at http://forums.rennlist.com for some great info on modifying the 951. His choice of B&B exhaust components (especially purchased from Performance Produacts) was a poor choice. there are far better and less expensive options.

Please refer to following tuners for better results.

http://www.speedforceracing.com

http://www.lindseyracing.com

http://www.andersonmotorworksinc.com/

http://www.powerhaus.com/

http://www.gururacing.net

Any of the above would be far better choices.

Is Pablo afraid of the 951 surpassing the M3's performance for far less money? He should be. Unless there is some justification for his methodology, I'll have to conclude that he hasn't reserched the project very well or just doesn't know what he is doing.

Daniel Streckfuss
dstreckfuss@***.net
88 951 250rwhp (lightly modified)"
Old 05-21-2004, 01:29 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

ack, could have left out AMW, the other ones can stay however. Knowing our luck thats who he would call.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:32 AM
Magown
Burning Brakes

LOL, good one Sam.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:55 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

been following the M3 project from a distance. now that i've owned both a 951 and a current M3, the comparisons gotta happen......

the 951 seems like such a capable racecar, even in stock form. more feedback and more agility. the brakes of course are awesome. I LOVE my new M3 - the torque is addictive and the handling is svelte and taut; but it feels less tossable than a 944. i will try the new M3 out in the local SCCA autocross this weekend for fun, but I can't wait to get the 944 rebuilt and ready to roll again.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:49 AM
VADR 951

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello there...

No need to wait on BF. Besides, I searched and found no post with an attention to me.
so what does everyone want to hear? the truth? that I'm screwing around with this project? that it's really my wife's car and that I never drive it nor even care for it? that I actually enjoyed driving around at a locked 7.5psi for a period of a month while I knew how much power was on tap?

First I will say this, I respect people in forums and speak to them as I would face-to-face. Second, yes we've moved on since those low-boost days and have a lot of new things on the car--it doesn't look quite the same and I like it better. Looks a little less aggressive than what you've been seeing. Some people will like it, some will not--so be it as it is with all project cars; I'm used to it. I've had people tell me the M3 is the worst thing ever, I'd had people tell me it's their favorite car ever, and so it goes. It's totally expected.

I've learned from a few good people online but more in a private setting vs. the forums for the simple reason that people as a group just get too carried away. Look at how many people are so caught up in me calling it my wife's car (which it sort of isn't but big deal). And then God forbid I test some things from PP. If you don't like PP stuff don't buy it, simple as that, no? Look at how many people get caught up in the boost I used when testing a couple of products for gains and/or losses. I showed them, no one knew what they would be. Yet no one cares because it was at too low of a boost level anyways.
Few reasons why it was at that boost level: 1) I was stuck with it for a month so either I waited or got moving with the project so the next stuff wouldn't take 2 more months to get published---after all it was just parts testing. 2) on a loading dyno, testing a certain load at a certain rpm is a whole different ball game vs. a one-gear rip to redline, and I thought I made that clear. You can blow your own motor if you want to hold a 4th gear pull for 20+ seconds under load at 6000rpm in any higher boost if you wish. 3) it's the power level that near-stock 951s are making on that particular dyno at that shop, so it was the best and easiest way of showing power gains/losses from simply that exhaust system, nothing else.
For the record, I'll say this: the Porsche is probably the most enjoyable car I've ever owned. Yes I'm serious about the project, and I take into account any useful information--I'm not one of those guys that thinks he can't use some good ideas from the internet. So for those of you that fit this category, I thank you immensely in advance.
The rest of you that like to hide behind the keyboard with name-calling and what have you, that's all fine. I've got pretty thick skin so it's all good for a laugh. Now, it's late, I just got home and some huge boxes with wheels came in so I'm going to go check them out and talk about them some other day. I think most people will be pleased with the end result of Project 951. If not, too bad. Any questions or comments feel free to email. Good night ya'll!

PS, when the project cars are done, sure I'll test them against each other. If not on print at least on video. Like I've said in another post, the Supra will eat both cars for lunch so I could care less which two will be faster between the M3 or 951. But the M3 isn't quite done either...it's close, .

PS2, nice looking car, Streckfu!
Old 05-25-2004, 04:05 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Pablo, I, for one, have enjoyed your articles concerning Project Porsche 951. For you to come here and to respond in such a civilized manner to some who detracted you is admirable. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to continuing to follow your saga with the 951. Also, I'm glad that you feel the your Porsche is probably the most enjoyable car you've ever owned. I feel the same about mine.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:15 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Hello there...

Originally posted by VADR 951
Look at how many people are so caught up in me calling it my wife's car (which it sort of isn't but big deal).
Sort of isn't????
Old 05-25-2004, 04:23 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to name call... EDITED FOR THE SENSITIVE you have made a poor choice in using PP for tuning advice and this reflects poorly on your project and its credability in many communities.

Last edited by NZ951; 05-25-2004 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:52 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Why is most everyone being a jerk towards VADR 951 (Pablo)? Even if there is a history here of which I'm not aware, it is disheartening to see this kind of behavior and ill will exhibited here at Rennlist.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NeedPorscheSpeed
Why is most everyone being a jerk towards VADR 951 (Pablo)? Even if there is a history here of which I'm not aware, it is disheartening to see this kind of behavior and ill will exhibited here at Rennlist.
I agree, what's the reason for that?

He had the guts to show up and discuss his thoughts on this, no reason why we can't gain another member who enjoys these cars.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:06 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pablo

I am also enjoying your project. Sure you may have wasted some money on B&B stuff...but you then compared it to LRs exhaust unit. That just confirms what I have thought....that B&B is overpriced and not worth it! It's not my money....so have a blast!

Question for ya. Will there be anyway to purchase JUST your write-up on the 951? Or would you have to purchase each magazine (or print off the internet I suppose). I would be interested to see, when this is all said and done, a list of all the mods, prices etc. You may be planning this already....I was just curious.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:43 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

WELCOME TO RENNLIST!!!!!

Quick Reply: My post to Pablo on Bimmerforums