Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrade, downgrade?q

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question upgrade, downgrade?q

Ok, I'm replacing my exhaust from the headers back. Found some glavanized piping to get bent. But the biggest I found was 2", IIRC the N/A's came stock with 2.25" piping, so would I be downgrading by putting the 2" exhaust on?

I wanted to go to 2.5-2.75" because I am eventually going to supercharge the car, and don't want to have to replace the exhaust when I do. So is it worth it to buy this, it'll have a total cost of around $175 or should I find some 2.5-2.75 inch piping and do that?
Old 05-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are, the 2" galvanized piping exhaust you'll have made will be press bent. That alone is a big downgrade from a mandrel bent stock exhaust. Going to galvanized pipe is also a downgrade from the better quality stock piping. Basically, you'll be wasting money. If you plan on adding a supercharger, look at adapting a turbo muffler and using a modified turbo cat pipe. Probably your best option at a reasonable cost (free if you find turbo owners that want to ditch stock components taking up space). I've got a cat pipe doing just that.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Bhj0887
Pro

Well, the whole exhaust needs to be replaced. So no matter what it has to be done. I can find better piping no problem, I don't know, is it really worth spending a couple hundred to get it mandrel bent though?

What's the best kind of piping to get...budget is an issue. I'm looking to spend under $300. I'm not looking for some $800 performance 3" exhaust either. Anything that is as good as stock or better is fine. I have the headers, no cat is going to be used and I'll buy a new muffler. The on;y concern is the piping.

I really just need to know what kind of piping to buy. I would love stainless (but $$$$, so no). What is the stock piping made put of...aluminum, steel?
Old 05-20-2004, 02:53 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

If i were you, i would take the stock catalytic, cut out the cat, and weld in some piping from home depot. I did that before and it worked wonders. That should cost very little to do. As for the mufflerm just find a used turbo one or what not...should be a cheap option.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Serge944
If i were you, i would take the stock catalytic, cut out the cat, and weld in some piping from home depot. I did that before and it worked wonders. That should cost very little to do. As for the mufflerm just find a used turbo one or what not...should be a cheap option.
You'd need to know people at the inspection station or you'd never be able to get that to pass. It's funny how people in CA assume they have the toughest inspection standards.

Just find a stock turbo muffler (I'd like to try one myself, if anyone is looking to get rid of one), you won't find a better deal having one made. Bending pipe changes the size and shape of the pipe which causes turbulence and restriction. Mandrel bent pipe isn't as bad, so our stock 2 1/4" pipe flows as well as a larger pipe would if you have it bent to fit. However, the straight sections would flow better (being larger) until the bottleneck at the next bend, it's just not an efficient design idea. You'd need to go pretty big to improve on the 951 cat-back.
IIRC, the stock pipe is aluminumized steel, galvanized steel will not last very long and it's heavy.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:30 AM
scular
Racer

The best and easiest is to just get the premade parts, they are engineered and made the right way, will save a lot of aggrivation. The other good option is to go through summit racing. They have a lot of parts from mild steel to mandrel bent stainless pipes.

SCular
Old 05-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

No, I would pass inspection. The car is register and insured in PA and where I go they don't do check emmissions during inspection. They may do a visual inspection so the pipe weld in would be the perfect way.

Now, that I'm hearing all the negativeness on custom exhaust, I might just spend the money and buy a premade one. I'll find a turbo muffler but I need new piping as well, so I'll check summit, and look around locally for some good piping.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.stainlessworks.net

Lots of cool stuff for building your own exhaust system. If you are looking for an assortment of stainless mandrel bends, I bought a bunch from there that I never ended up needing.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Bookmarked...
Does anyone know how many bends there are and what degrees they are. I know I'm just being lazy, I can always go under the car and figure it out myself, but if anyone know the exact dimesions and angles even better.

Quick Reply: upgrade, downgrade?q