Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identify this PS line

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 10:38 PM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Identify this PS line

alrite, my power steering has been leaking for a while and i finally found the line its leaking from. However, i have no idea what its called, or the part number, nor have i been able to get it off. Its been about 3 weeks since ive driver her and im begginning to feel the effects. Attached a picture i found of the line. its the one marked "return line". Can anyone give me an idea of what its called or the part number for it? Ive searched in pelican and found 3 types of lines. They are a bit pricey so i dont wanna guess and choose and have the wrong one come. Any and all help would be great. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Shutemup
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have an equalizing line, is that a bad thing?

The metal line has a hole in it and is leaking????

On mine I replaced the 2 rubber lines that attached to the resivoir.

btw, those two lines are not high pressure lines. there is a formed fitting onto the PS cooler, cut it off t n angle and you can replace it with a regular line and a clamp.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:01 PM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

This is the line right above the rack, but i dont think its attached to the rack. The 2 lines on the resevoir have nothing to do with this, i dont believe.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:48 PM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

any ideas guys? Im in a real bind here...
Old 05-20-2004, 03:07 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the hose itself leaking or just the fitting at the end? I replaced my rod bearings a little while ago and had to take all that off, and when I put it back on the PS leaked like all hell from that fitting. I picked up two new copper washers for it and tightened it a whole lot and that fixed the leak. By the way, it's a real PITA to replace the washers and tighten the banjo bolt with the everything back on the car. It'll leak with new washers if it's not tight enough too. Sorry I can't help with what part number though.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:14 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

I'm a power steering engineer, so I guess I should chime in...

the "equalizing line" is not necessary for the function of the part, but will let your tie rods rust out very quickly if missing. Same as a CV joint boot, rod end boot, ect. Rusted out tie rods will still work, but will slowly add more and more lash (slop) to the system. So if you're missing the equalizing line, try to rig something to fix it. Some vaccum fittings and vaccum hose could work. Keep in mind, this line only allows the air in one boot to go to the other boot as the system cycles back and forth. (otherwise the boots would act like big air bag like springs).

The return line is exactly as it sounds, it returns fluid to the PS resevoir. PS systems work a lot like fuel injection systems, pump provides constant flow, anything not used by the gear is returned to the resevoir. This line connects to the back of the housing pictured, pretty much opposite the "ZF" logo (competitor and supplier for my company, grrr). This line shouldn't see extreme pressures, but I'd use something with at least 100 psi capacity to be safe.

The pressure line will likely see pressures over 1000 psi. I wouldn't use heater hose for that!

If your return line (as labled in above pic) is bad, then I'd replace it with a real part. The one you want is $99 from Pelican, part #
E-347-449-06 (called :Rack to Reservoir). Paragon has it too, but its $147!
Old 05-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While we do have it, too, that is not the correct part to compare. The $147 part is the secondary return line including cooler.

Agreed on the pressure - feed pressure is 100-120 BAR (>1500PSI) - not safe to use anything other than the right stuff on the pressure side. Return side is far less - not sure what specifically, but certainly not 1500PSI.

Quick Reply: Identify this PS line