Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with PCA - Germany region fading away....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:56 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by Brian Wilson
...There needs to be more people with the power to make something good happen actually use the power. Yes, you do have it.....
My thanks - but in all honesty, I look at it from an entirely different perspective.

In other words - it's folks like you and hundreds of thousands throughout the world who have "empowered" this site and invigorated this worldwide community. For that, I simply plan and establish programs and benefits to what those who have empowered me would like to accomplish with this “community”. Is that "power"? I don't think so. In other words - I won't, or can't, due to my personal moral obligations to the Rennlist users and enthusiasts act autonomously - or outside - or counter to - the interests of the majority who have entrusted me to act on their behalf. If I do - then, by all rights and all measures - I'm no longer empowered.

There is perhaps a fine distinction between "power" and "being empowered" - but one leans towards being “autocratic” while the other is established, validated and perpetuated only through trust from others. In that way – they are worlds apart in execution and “vision”. At least in my opinion.

... I'd sure like to help you out any way that I can.....
I have a feeling I’ll be taking you up on your kind offer..! Feel free to PM me or pop me an e-mail at johnd@rennlist.com at any time, if you, *Michael.* or others in your area have specific questions, comments or insights, OK?

My best to you,

John
Old 05-20-2004, 02:21 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by John D.
My thanks - but in all honesty, I look at it from an entirely different perspective.

In other words - it's folks like you and hundreds of thousands throughout the world who have "empowered" this site and invigorated this worldwide community. For that, I simply plan and establish programs and benefits to what those who have empowered me would like to accomplish with this “community”. Is that "power"? I don't think so. In other words - I won't, or can't, due to my personal moral obligations to the Rennlist users and enthusiasts act autonomously - or outside - or counter to - the interests of the majority who have entrusted me to act on their behalf. If I do - then, by all rights and all measures - I'm no longer empowered.

There is perhaps a fine distinction between "power" and "being empowered" - but one leans towards being “autocratic” while the other is established, validated and perpetuated only through trust from others. In that way – they are worlds apart in execution and “vision”. At least in my opinion.
John, I'm starting to think that you are being wasted here at Rennlist, this is the spirit that has been missing from the American political system for at least a generation IMO.

John D. for President! Now we just have to get the "Rennlist Party" listed in the voting booths!

Seriously, many people want to accomplish something, those that do, often only do it for their own benefit. Few go out and accomplish their goals for those around them.

Thanks for being in that last group!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

200 thousand users cant be wrong..
Old 05-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Swedeboy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dave
John, I'm starting to think that you are being wasted here at Rennlist, this is the spirit that has been missing from the American political system for at least a generation IMO.
LOL - I just thought the same when reading John's post.

Personally, I think a worldwide Rennlist club with certain geographical focal points would be a great idea.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Swedeboy
LOL - I just thought the same when reading John's post.

Personally, I think a worldwide Rennlist club with certain geographical focal points would be a great idea.
I figured I couldn't be the only one, but it had to be said by an American first! (I hope I qualify, 14th generation)
Old 05-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Dave

Seriously, many people want to accomplish something, those that do, often only do it for their own benefit. Few go out and accomplish their goals for those around them.

Thanks for being in that last group!
What makes you think Rennlist isn't a business? It may not be making money yet, but neither do most of the dotcoms.

But it's a great resource, business or not.

Last edited by Peckster; 05-20-2004 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
Jay, you may be aware that auto insurance policy premiums in the United States are considerably more expensive than in much of Europe. As an example, my European insurer offered me liability coverage for my 951 for about $350 per year while I was paying well over $1,000 for liability on a similar car in the U.S.

Something could be worked out for the Germany PCA Chapter to take out its own insurance policy in Europe, holding harmless the parent organization. Furthermore, just like horseback riding stables that rent out horses in the litiginous U.S. now ask renters to sign disclaimer agreements before riding, the PCA Germany Chapter could ask event participants to waive their right to any claims.

It just needs to be spelled out and put into effect by someone who wants the Chapter to continue. I think that's the underlying issue at hand.
I don't think so based on the phone conversations I had last night with numerous people directly involved with this matter.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:44 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally posted by Luis de Prat
Jay, you may be aware that.....
and....

Originally posted by Jay Wellwood
I don't think.....
I won't comment on the insurance issue as it pertains to the original thread - except to note that it appears to me that Luis & Jay, you folks may be trying to compare "Apples" to "Oranges".

In short, Insurance for ones personal automobile, regardless of country, is a very different form of insurance then the requirement for an "entity" or a “business”.

What’s typically referred to a “Business Insurance”, regardless of whether that entity is for-profit or nonprofit, or a small businesses, etc. – there are also certain types of insurance. The decision about what insurance coverage to carry as elective coverage (over and above those that may be mandated by Federal/State) depends largely on the nature of the business. But the extent of the coverage is bound by the covenants of the policy itself as prescribed by the underwriter. This coverage also varies depending on the business status and/or "product" of that entity, and a risk assessment by both the underwriter and the entity itself.

So, while Luis, you may have a point as a waiver to forfeit your rights to sue the entity, there also needs to be another legal instrument which indemnifies the primary business entity if an incident occurred that involved a third-party not released by your waiver.

Just as an FYI….

John
Old 05-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, none of the events in the official European Porsche Club I belong to ever bring up the subject of insurance. You're supposed to carry your own.

Unfortunately, this "insurance paranoia" is becoming typically American and I wouldn't be surprised if the PCA hadn't considered finding a way to do as most European car clubs do, and put the burden on the participant, not the club.

YMMV

EDIT: Just saw John D.'s post. Can someone confirm how significant the Euro Clubs' investment in insurance policies is?

Old 05-20-2004, 11:22 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had to sign a release waiver for just about every PCA event I've ever attended, so I don't think the waiver idea will get you far.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:36 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure about the whole insurance thing. I've never done anything, other than the PCA events, that involve signing anything. You can go to the gokart track and get lit at the bar upstairs and then go downstairs and race... never signing anything. When you drive the Nurburgring, you get your ticket out of a machine and drive up to a parking garage gate and you're on the track. I don't know how it works, but it does. That is one thing that I can credit the germans for being good at.... road construction is another thing!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 03:57 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is one thing that I can credit the germans for being good at.... road construction is another thing!!!
And telephone and internet service.....
Old 05-21-2004, 07:54 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by icat
I've had to sign a release waiver for just about every PCA event I've ever attended, so I don't think the waiver idea will get you far.
In the U.S. perhaps, but as Brian stated, insurance is not as much of a "limiting factor" (if at all) for European car clubs and the thread is about the PCA Germany region fading away for unspecified reasons.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:03 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Jon is getting old and his memory is fading. We have always had to sign a waiver at PCA events and now at the kart track you have to sign your ticket.

Well I hope things work out for club over here, I am moving back to the US in 13 days so it doesn't effect me that much....
Old 05-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by *Michael.*
Actually Jon is getting old and his memory is fading. We have always had to sign a waiver at PCA events and now at the kart track you have to sign your ticket.
Read up jerk, i did say "other than PCA events". Man, you're stupid... and that's just a recent thing anyway.

no one get mad, mike sits at a desk down the hall from me and we're friends... for now.

Quick Reply: Trouble with PCA - Germany region fading away....