Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant dripping from timing belt cover?..

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 01:01 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant dripping from timing belt cover?..

Here's the problem,

When I replaced/bled my coolant, I loosened the air bleeder valve located behind the airbox. Well, after loosening it, I noticed that coolant was leaking from under the timing belt cover. But, as soon as I tightend the bleeder valve, it stopped. Is this a waterpump issue? What could be wrong? Perhaps this is why my temperature gauge is giving me incorrect readings..
Old 05-18-2004, 09:25 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, it sounds like a leaking waterpump. How many miles are on it to your knowledge?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:22 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Is it still leaking? If not then it's probably just coolant that came out of the bleed screw.
If it is, then yes, it's the waterpump. They have a weep hole that will leak when the seal is shot.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

my 84 did the same thing....what started out as a small leak from the timing belt case turned into almost 2 gallons of coolant on the floor when i woke up the next morning to goto school in it get it fixed ASAP if you want to avoid a tow truck.

Andy
Old 05-18-2004, 02:00 PM
RSflared72e
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally posted by TheStig
my 84 did the same thing....what started out as a small leak from the timing belt case turned into almost 2 gallons of coolant on the floor when i woke up the next morning to goto school in it get it fixed ASAP if you want to avoid a tow truck.

Andy
Or a slipped balance shaft belt from being slick with coolant, leading to a slipped or broken timing belt, leading to.....
Old 05-18-2004, 02:53 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

where's the weep hole, got a picture?
Old 05-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The weep hole is at the bottom of the water pump. If you get underneath and look up with a flashlight you will see it. It there is evidence of a long term dripping you should see it on the pump.

Keep in mind- fluids seek the path to the floor. Start your inspection at the top of the engine and look for coolant there.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:09 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Re: Coolant dripping from timing belt cover?..

Originally posted by Cyrus951
Here's the problem,

When I replaced/bled my coolant, I loosened the air bleeder valve located behind the airbox. Well, after loosening it, I noticed that coolant was leaking from under the timing belt cover. But, as soon as I tightend the bleeder valve, it stopped. Is this a waterpump issue? What could be wrong? Perhaps this is why my temperature gauge is giving me incorrect readings..
Did you have any rags underneath or around the bleeder bolt when you opened it?

It's really easy for some coolant to dribble down from the bleeder bolt hole, behind the timing belt covers, and onto the ground. This happened to me when I last bled my system, and I did have some rags around the bleeder screw hole. Pour some water in that area, see where it drips down to confirm this.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

I opened the bleeder valve yesterday, but as soon as I did coolant fizzed out, it was like opening a shooken up can of coke, so there is obviousley air in the system. I bled the system two weeks ago, could the broken seal on the pump allow air to get in?

How much is the new seal for the waterpump? What's the part number?
How long does it take to install? How much would it cost for a mechanic to do? Are there any online tutorials that could show me what to do when replacing the seal?

Thanks,
Old 05-19-2004, 06:25 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by Cyrus951
I opened the bleeder valve yesterday, but as soon as I did coolant fizzed out, it was like opening a shooken up can of coke, so there is obviousley air in the system. I bled the system two weeks ago, could the broken seal on the pump allow air to get in?

How much is the new seal for the waterpump? What's the part number?
How long does it take to install? How much would it cost for a mechanic to do? Are there any online tutorials that could show me what to do when replacing the seal?

Thanks,
Cyrus,

Not so fast. You said:

1. when you open the bleeder bolt, you see a puddle of coolant under the front timing belt cover
2. when you close the bleeder bolt, the leak goes away

I still think that coolant coming out of the bleeder bolt hole (when it is open) is leaking down behind your front timing belt cover and onto the ground. This happened to me. If you run the car without touching the bleeder bolt, then shut it off, do you see any puddles of coolant on the ground?

I don't understand why all the other posters here jumped on a defective water pump as the source of the problem, when you were opening/closing the bleeder bolt when this happened.

I also think from your last post, you need to bleed the system over again. There are lots of good procedures on how to do this, such as the one in Clark's Garage.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

I don't think you replace the seal, I think you replace the pump. (If the leak is not from when you were bleeding, which I hope it was).
Old 05-19-2004, 06:30 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Kevin, I used clark's procedure, and there was very little-no air in the system. I am 100% sure that the coolant is coming from the timing belt cover, there is a seperate puddle from where the coolant was dripping down from the bleeder screw. Whenever I loosen the bleeder screw, it drips out, and the more I open it, the more it leaks (from the bottom of the timing belt cover).
Old 05-19-2004, 08:18 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

1. Timing belts are not that hard. Just find someone who has done it before if you dont trust yourself. and make sure you get a flywheel lock/ gear holder.

2. If it only leaks when you open the bleeder screw........ Just dont open the screw. Leak fixed.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"I loosened the air bleeder valve located behind the airbox."

The bleed screw isn't behind the airbox on my car. What's he talking about?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:35 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This picture isnt the greatest but it is all i have at the moment.....Cyrus you are loosening the bolt where the red arrow points roughly to correct?

My coolant always runs back over the engine, due to how it sits when i bleed the system. I have never had it run behind the timing belt cover.

Quick Reply: Coolant dripping from timing belt cover?..