Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A new Journey with lessons from the "old" Journey

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 07:54 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts
Default A new Journey with lessons from the "old" Journey

Yesterday I trailored my "new to me" 944 SP3 car up to Summit Point and got the annual tech/compliance done, picked up another set of wheels from Amy Burgess and had the opportunity to get over to the dyno to get actual numbers on the 3.0 968 engine.So why didn't I sign up for the event? Three weeks ago at Dominion Raceway, testing, in the rain, with mild 60s temps the car overheated on me. I wasn't sure why, but until I could sort that out, I wasn't keen on losing my entry fee, so I canceled my spot and went about trying to sort the issue. I figured if I got it resolved, I would do what I did yesterday and see if the car would overheat while on the dyno doing multiple wide open throttle pulls. Apparently swapping the T-stat, reservoir (what I think was the culprit) and gravity bleeding the coolant system, worked. Car made a number of passes and I got all the compliance numbers I need for German Touring or any other class in NASA, and more importantly I know what the car is making, where, and where that leaves me for competition in PCA.

I don't think this car will be competitive in SP3 with 200WHP at 2900 pounds. I mean, that weight to power ratio would put it at the "less than SPB" ranges. I don't know enough about the 3.0L 968 motor to know if 200WHP is good, bad, or just OK. I know they're rated at SAE Power of 237HP so I don't think the motor is seriously down on power. I don't think it's making "peak" power. So I'm still hunting for other class options (PCA), club options (*outside of NASA, which I will run with this year) and I'm going to investigate maybe hooking up with a shop that knows how to tune these motors/DMEs.

For now, the car will be put on a diet, coming down from 2719 with 11 gallons fuel (68#) and 150# ballast. My personal diet is helping in that plan, as well, down 16-18# and counting. In order to be competitive in GTS2, we will need to weigh at least 2579# at the finish, since my average power over the RPM range is 191WHP (GTS rules calculated). The car has a traditionally heavy 38-40# battery, steel hood and a host of other items I'll be able to remove, along with the ballast and draining the fuel. My other 944, Petunia, seen in my Avatar, was able to be brought down to 2235 without fuel or ballast. I know it being a 2.5L 1985.5 car, it's lighter chassis baseline than the 1987Turbo chassis, but I am pretty confident I can get this car down into the 2600-2625 range car/driver, which will put me very close to the 13.5:1 weight to power competition limit.

More to come!

The following users liked this post:
vacuumnoise (04-19-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 05:14 PM
JRP944
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 96 Posts

Awesome! Subbed and looking forward to more updates!
Old 07-01-2023, 07:46 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

First race weekend in the books with mixed success. Summit Point with NASA MidAtlantic was last weekend. There were extremely low counts (as in 2 of us) in GTS2, which was probably OK because my car is down on power. In NASA MA they also run a bracket race series called beast of the east. In that group, due to my lack of power, I was surrounded by big torque filled V8 Mustangs, Camaros and BMW M3s. Although I held my own in the field of fast cars (first event with the THUNDER group), the car needs some work. I'm easily down 25-45Peak WHP. So I dropped it off with RPR in Brooklyn MD yesterday and I'm hoping John can find the missing power without be going bankrupt. It's a fresh motor build, so I'm hoping that it's just something EFI/Tune related.

Pics of the car, as things have changes since my last post.

Old 07-01-2023, 10:09 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Well if anyone can find the lost power, John can. I bring all my stuff to him including customer engine builds. In my opinion there is no one better..
You can look up past races at summit on race hero or rennpoints as well as the pca club racing website.
When i first started racing i would look at the leaders ave lap times and compare. My biggest problem with a turbo was T1.. i would have to downshift from 5th to 2nd… but it would pull like a freight train out of T2!!
Old 07-02-2023, 08:02 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

I've got a bunch of time at SP and was able to dip into the 1:27s (close to the record) in my SP1 car. I ran 1:25s in the new car. No power. Car handles well, brakes are amazing, and the chassis is awesome. Motor? Not so much. She's making 201WHP peak right now. I'm hoping it's something minor like the vario cam sensor or something else sensor/wiring related that will be an easy fix. This car is a fresh rebuild for the previous owner. I believe it only ran one race weekend and then I bought it. So I'm hoping John has solutions that won't be to painful.

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Well if anyone can find the lost power, John can. I bring all my stuff to him including customer engine builds. In my opinion there is no one better..
You can look up past races at summit on race hero or rennpoints as well as the pca club racing website.
When i first started racing i would look at the leaders ave lap times and compare. My biggest problem with a turbo was T1.. i would have to downshift from 5th to 2nd… but it would pull like a freight train out of T2!!
Old 07-02-2023, 08:59 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Well at least SP is not a hp track.. john knows what i have.. my best lap in a race at SP was 1:22… but my typical lap after lap is 1:24s i havent run there yet since i switched to 15” rims and hoosiers.. im sure i could gain another second or two there.. i gained that much at watkins glen when i switched.. my class weight is 2920 as a “ turbo cup” car
Old 07-13-2023, 06:55 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

As it turns out, Behe found power, and he also sold me another car with even more power, so I may be selling this green beauty to move into a Turbo. Sending a wire transfer today and picking the new car up tomorrow.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:11 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Congrats… hopefully i will see you at the track sometime.. i have often thought of SP3 but I addicted to boost so my car is classified as a turbo cup and i run in G Stock. ( 1 bar) Post pic of car im shure we would all love to see it. I spoke with john last week and mentioned your car.. i am in the middle of installing a fresh engine i built for a customer and will be going to RPR in the next week or two for the tune…
Old 07-13-2023, 10:40 AM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Curious why you say the car is down on power, if the stock power is 237 at the crank, and assume 10-15% drivetrain loss that puts you at around 213-201 WHP range. Unless the engine isnt stock? Albeit I dont disagree you still wanting that additional 13HP, if thats what you are meaning.

Last edited by walfreyydo; 07-13-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 11:34 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Please post Behe’s dyno chart for your motor if you can. I have a 968 motor and I’m tempted to bring it to John for a custom tune.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:30 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

It was low on power primarily due to the chip that was in the ECU. It's now making standard "Stock" power range, which is where it needs to be. On a DynoJet Dyno it will likely show around 225WHP./215TQ. I don't want to post much more since it's a racecar and we need to have all the paperwork filed with NASA for it to all be squared away. I'll get it to their Dyno at the next event.

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
Curious why you say the car is down on power, if the stock power is 237 at the crank, and assume 10-15% drivetrain loss that puts you at around 213-201 WHP range. Unless the engine isnt stock? Albeit I dont disagree you still wanting that additional 13HP, if thats what you are meaning.

Last edited by Mikelly; 07-16-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2023, 08:13 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Pic of the car I’m picking up tomorrow…

Old 12-04-2023, 05:52 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

So the "OLD" plan of ditching the green/black 968 powered 951 and racing the 944Turbo pictured on the lift above is now changing... After I'd had Behe tune the car, a friend of mine offered to buy the car and I parked it. So I let it sit, didn't race it at Rock the Summit and did NOT turn a single lap in the car with upgraded intake, exhaust and tuning. The "friend" who decided to buy it then decided he'd best spend his money on a new shop for his other toys instead, and in early October I'm left with his note that he can't buy it. Anyway, I decide to drive it at a coaching day and well, WOW. 2 seconds per lap faster on old old tires. So, now the plan has changed, again. I'm going to keep the 968 powered 944 and run it in SP3 events with PCA Club racing, and put a passenger seat in it for instructing and just keep the silver/black car for NASA and other racing events in GTS3/SuperTouring3 events. This doubles my pleasure/joy without trying to sort a competitive class for the 944Turbo.

Attached are a couple pics from a couple weeks ago with me and my son doing lead/follow in Red Run Group with Dominion Raceway's HPDRe program. My son is in my old 944Spec/SP1 Orange racecar.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:37 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 750 Likes on 531 Posts

Those are great photos of some very pretty cars.

Cheers

Quick Reply: A new Journey with lessons from the "old" Journey