Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Polish or Wax Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 12:22 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the opinions.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

I second the meguiars, and HIGHLY recommend the Gold Class wax. BUT ive switched polish from show car, to Deep Crystal Polish. I get better results strangely!
Old 05-16-2004, 12:55 AM
reno928s
Pro

2 tight, where did you purchase the Dri-N-wash product? Reno
Old 05-16-2004, 01:05 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

What about that Rejex stuff? The guys on the 996 board seem to love it.
I might give it a try.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I use zymol and i love it! It smells so good too. The only rant i have about it is that it leaves more residue than turtlewax and if you dont wipe off excess wax on your trim right away, itll stay!
Old 05-16-2004, 01:41 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Reno,
I used to buy it from a friend but eBay is much cheaper now. It's a great product but the network marketing thing is a real hinderance to it's popularity. Just do a eBay search on Dri Wash n Gard; you'll get quite a few suppliers. What I like the most is using the California Duster for about 4 weeks. Nothing seems to stick that well to DWG. I live in a hot climate and wax seems to embed dirt and crap meaning you have to wash the car with water more often. I keep a bottle of water and 2 clean towels in the back. If I get bugged on a drive I wet a towel, remove the gunk, and buff with a dry towel. Even the overspray from Dri Wash in the seams comes off after 2 months, try that with wax. Zaino took me an entire weekend and looked no better than the DWG. Just my opinion.

Steve
Old 05-16-2004, 01:50 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by goingboeing737
Griot's Garage "Best of Show Wax" Their products aren't cheap, but the best of everything I have ever tried.

Griot's Garage Wax....Website

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer, YMMV.........

Hey goingboeing737,

have you ever used Zaino Bros wax before? If so, how would you compare the two? Which would you concider better? I am planing on getting a higher grade wax. The wax I normally use is meguiars 3 step wax. It looks good, and shines up nice, but the first time the car gets rained on, and I dont dry it off right away, the shine/smooth feel is gone. Water still beads up on it, but it just doesnt look the same until a good wash and wax.

I am also heard a lot of good things about synthetic pain sealents. Has anyone used them before? The brand I would probably get is found on the following website. I have gotten a lot of tips on detailing from the owner. He is a really nice guy. I found his website through a PT Cruiser forum (my daily driver is a 2001 PT Cruiser). The sealent sounds like a good idea, but I havent used it before. So if anyone has some idea's, let me know!

PerfectAutoFinish.com

Matt
Old 05-16-2004, 01:53 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I use P21S. Victoria Wax is very good too. Their top end wax can only be applied by hand. Melts in your hands on immediate contact.

I have a bunch of the 3M hand glaze. Whatever you do dont put it on a car with a hot body. Let the body cool to room temp. And when you put it on, dont keep it on for long. I had to buff it off last time I used it with my thumb.

Anything from Griots is very good. Never tried their polish/wax. I swear by their interior cleaner though.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:09 AM
reno928s
Pro

Mathew 951, I've used Zaino bros wax. It's a two step process. First you apply a sealer then you apply the wax. After an hour you can remove the wax and apply a second coat for a deeper shine the thing is you have to wait 24 hrs between the coats of wax BUT, they sell an accelerator which enables you to put on three coats one after another. The shine is about the best that I have seen, but if this wash n gard works better I'll let you know. Thanks 2 tight for the reply, Reno
Old 05-16-2004, 03:03 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by reno928s
Mathew 951, I've used Zaino bros wax. It's a two step process. First you apply a sealer then you apply the wax. After an hour you can remove the wax and apply a second coat for a deeper shine the thing is you have to wait 24 hrs between the coats of wax BUT, they sell an accelerator which enables you to put on three coats one after another. The shine is about the best that I have seen, but if this wash n gard works better I'll let you know. Thanks 2 tight for the reply, Reno
Not cheap, but worth it. Zaino's all the way.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:30 AM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

No, never tried Zaino.

A couple of the things I use from Girots is the "paint clay" (smooths the surface) Then the "best of show wax" and polish it up with "speed shine". Use the "speed shine" to lubricate the paint clay, and for touch up cleanings as well. I buy it by the gallon.

They also have a great vinyl and rubber treatment that has no petroleum products (NEVER use armoral on any thing inside the car)

I have used several of the "machine polish" and "fine hand polish" to remove swirl and scratches. My 944 has a ****ty repaint, I started using this stuff years ago on my Prelude and Acura. But, it does make my crummy paint job look a little better...

One drawback (kinda) is once you order from Girot's, you will get a catalog about every 2-3 weeks. I swear they could lower their cost if they only sent 1 or 2 a year. The catalog does have some neat car stuff and tips and pictures, but still...too many damn catalogs.

One of the neatest things lately was instead of a lemonade stand or mowing lawns for kids to make money this summer,,,,a starter kit for washing and detailing cars. Granted, nobody's probably gonna let them do their GT3 or anything, but I'd probably let them do my truck. What's the old saying..."you can't pull a knife or gun on someone when your hand is in a wash mit...." (Old golden gloves commercial thing...)

Anyway....
Old 05-16-2004, 03:37 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

James,

I get 2-3 catalogs every year from Griots and I'vve never bought anything from them. I don't even know how my name got on their list. They do have a nice catalog and lot of neat stuff.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:37 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

I use the cheap Zymol from Target. There was a thread on here where a guy tested all the different waxes that have been mentioned in this thread.He took a NX hood and waxed six different areas with the different products. Then he blindfolded his testers and came up with a grading scale as well as a longevity test. Cheap Zymol came out the best.
I have only used the wax, not the polish.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:56 AM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

I have to say...

1-Z Einszett puts all the others to shame. My buddy started importing this from Germany a few years ago, and has a LOT of highline car clubs swearing by it (Ferraris, Lambos, etc). It really is a great line.

http://www.1z-usa.com
Old 05-16-2004, 05:17 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

I must get a catalog every two weeks from Griots. I order quite a bit, but Im not a VIP. Griots is pricey, but everything is guaranteed for life if you buy it from them. I just ordered an oil mat for under the ar. About $16. I was expecting something heavier. If it goes to crap, I'll just tell them to send me a new one next year.

Quick Reply: Car Polish or Wax Suggestions