Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power locks instantly "unlock" - can't lock car

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power locks instantly "unlock" - can't lock car

What I think was a deep search (250 threads) didn't turn up a solution to the problem where your power locks spontaneously "unlock" when you try to lock the car.

This is either using the key in the door OR the cental locking switch. Either way - when you go to lock the car - it instantly "unlocks" again.

Even though the locks pop right back up - the alarm IS set - ask me and my neighbours how I know! : )

So - what part of the power locking system causes this? I think the system watches for some state (door open?) that prevents the locks from locking so you don't lock your keys in the car. But if that were the case - wouldn't the dome light be on all the time (i.e. the door switch somehow failed in the "door open" state).

Thanks for any advice.

RK
Old 05-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem most likely lies in the microswitch on the door handle. It interfaces with the key cylinder and I've heard of cases where bad ones unlock the doors when you just touch the key cylinder. I've got a few extras somewhere in my stash if you need one.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:10 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, do you have a microswitch for the hatch lock for an 89-9x 944?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Those cars all have the fully electronic rear hatch lock, correct? Assuming you are referring to a microswitch that would be mounted at the rear hatch lock, then no, I don't have one. I have at least one rear hatch switch (the one that mounts on the driver's side under the dash) though.

Originally posted by Cyrus951
Joe, do you have a microswitch for the hatch lock for an 89-9x 944?
Old 05-14-2004, 09:00 AM
clangjr
Racer

I have a similar issue, but mine locks with the key in the door, but instantly unlocks with the switch on the console.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:19 AM
JCNNJC
Advanced

I have the same problem, with the drivers door, pass door will lock the whole car.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

This symptom can also be caused by a mechanical rather than electrical problem, e.g., the lock actuator rod can be adjusted to allow the full travel needed to switch the lock on/off.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:55 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

I agree with Carl, check the mechanical connections. When I was installing electric locks on my car I ran into this problem for a while as I was adjusting the actuator rods. It also does that if the driver side door is open. That's a built in thing from porsche to keep you from locking your keys in the car.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:49 AM
houston944
Advanced

I have a similar problem. My power locks were working good. One fine day they decided to quit.

Now if I lock the car from the driver's side using the key, the power locks lock the complete car. But when I unlock the car from the driver's side only the driver's side door gets unlocked. I don't understand what's causing that.

Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2004, 06:22 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

This is not a helpful comment in the least, but the more threads that I see like this, the happier I am that my car came with almost no luxury options. If there were an easy way to ditch the power mirrors, windows, and seat, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm always amazed that my car's cruise control still works perfectly when I use it, but I'm sure it's a matter of time until that craps out. Who knows if the original tape deck works... I don't have any cassettes with which to test it. Hell, I even wish that it didn't come with that f$#%g digital clock!
Old 05-15-2004, 02:19 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by houston944
I have a similar problem. My power locks were working good. One fine day they decided to quit.

Now if I lock the car from the driver's side using the key, the power locks lock the complete car. But when I unlock the car from the driver's side only the driver's side door gets unlocked. I don't understand what's causing that.

Any ideas?
Both mine did this. Again, it's the actuator arm. It has a plastic bushing on the top that pops off and keeps the lock from working. The lock solenoid will work, but the arm is not attached to the lock. It's kinda hard to get to, the arm usually drops down into the door and has to be fished out. You'd be best off to get a new one as the palstic is probably worn and won't stay put. It's not a very expensive part, IIRC.

EDIT - I misread your dilemma. This isn't what my cars did (although I'd probably still look at the actuators). What happens if you try to lock/unlock from the passenger side?

Quick Reply: Power locks instantly "unlock" - can't lock car