Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So... what do we do about windshields now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 11:26 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I am not sure what everyone is talking about this "trim" ?

Sept 2021: I got an original Sekurit windshield from Porsche. They quoted me.. get this.. $1234.00 ; the installer I found--who came to my place to do it--got a slightly better and more normal looking price, though it was still over a grand. This is CAD btw.

The OEM glass comes with this "frame" part already attached. The installer scraped out what was left of the original stuff, installed the windshield, then pressed in the surrounding trim he got from Porsche, only to realize it was the wrong trim. I could see it right away: the trim they gave him (and he provided my VIN) was one whole uncut piece; the trim I needed is cut as you obviously install it from one end to the other (it doesn't go all the way around). I guess we could have cut the one we got but it wouldn't push into the space between the glass and body. Clearly, it was wrong. We called the dealer and they said the computer shows a change right before my VIN. Well, we just ordered trim for an '87 instead (mine is an '88) and problem solved. Poor installer had to do another trip but stuff happens.

Pics show the new glass and if you zoom in, you can see its frame attached.. plus the empty channel on the car. Be sure to remove interior trim pieces first as these installers may not be so careful with the old plastic (at top and both A pillar pieces)

Last edited by Dan Martinic; 02-13-2023 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:53 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolbelt0
Safelite in my area can get the original glass with antenna from Porsche but, wants $1900. They also quoted me for aftermarket without antenna for around $400. What do those who have chosen the cheaper route use for a radio antenna?
Safelite told me NLA when I called them the other day. Antenna or no.

I guess I just need to call a Porsche dealer and chat. Once I find a window guy willing to do it. I just wish there was a deaerlship closer than 4 hours away.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:23 AM
tims944
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i always check with my local glass guy every now and than. last time i called he had access to new aftermarket with/ and without antenna so i ordered 2 of each and i keep them at home for customers

i did get an original oem from him with tint and antenna and body trim frame already installed also, it was the last one like that though

the new ones W/Wo antenna is just the bare glass. i think they might have the Rearview mirror mount but not 100% sure. i keep used and new ones ready for customers as it can be a huge P.I.T.A to wait 3 weeks from germany or such if cant find anything.

Old 02-25-2023, 05:06 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tims944
i always check with my local glass guy every now and than. last time i called he had access to new aftermarket with/ and without antenna so i ordered 2 of each and i keep them at home for customers

i did get an original oem from him with tint and antenna and body trim frame already installed also, it was the last one like that though

the new ones W/Wo antenna is just the bare glass. i think they might have the Rearview mirror mount but not 100% sure. i keep used and new ones ready for customers as it can be a huge P.I.T.A to wait 3 weeks from germany or such if cant find anything.
I'm still getting flack from any local installers. One guy told me I, and everyone posting here, was full of crap and there are no windshields for these available in any system, including the dealer system he claimed to have access to. That guy got crossed off the list, and I let the local PCA members know to not do business with him. He was a total A-hat. I've called the guy several times I've had work with me in the past on some other windows, but he's been out when I've called. He only comes in when they have auto windows to install, as it's a glass shop that also does automotive. I sometimes hate living in the sticks. I'm thinking of calling some places in Springfield, Mo or Tulsa to maybe find some shops that know Porsche at least. The people here in my neck of the woods are clueless.
The following users liked this post:
Qtrfoil (02-25-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 09:10 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ld-94454101114
The following users liked this post:
SeaCay (03-02-2023)
Old 03-02-2023, 03:12 PM
EastEnd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
I'm still getting flack from any local installers. One guy told me I, and everyone posting here, was full of crap and there are no windshields for these available in any system, including the dealer system he claimed to have access to. That guy got crossed off the list, and I let the local PCA members know to not do business with him. He was a total A-hat. I've called the guy several times I've had work with me in the past on some other windows, but he's been out when I've called. He only comes in when they have auto windows to install, as it's a glass shop that also does automotive. I sometimes hate living in the sticks. I'm thinking of calling some places in Springfield, Mo or Tulsa to maybe find some shops that know Porsche at least. The people here in my neck of the woods are clueless.
I spent the last year trying to get my windshield replaced after it was struck during a storm (no garage) and finally got it replaced in January after calling far too many shops. My local Safelite was willing to do it and had everything available, but was not willing to come to me. I found that to be a dealbreaker as the last time I did that they broke my exhaust off the car. Called around some more and was told no windshields were available at all, before finding a windshield replacement company that specialized in Porsche's. Although they had to order directly from Porsche(~$1600 but came with all seals/trim).
The only aftermarket windshield I was able to find was a small company in PA who was going to ship the glass to a "nearby" warehouse for me to pick up and install myself ($300+shipping) I can refer you if you'd like. I ended up going with the OEM windshield and the owners of the company came and installed it for me themselves, and even then it took the two of them about three hours. They told me most shops will want to stay away from the 944 platform due to the difficulty/tedious nature of replacement. After some discussion on the hatch delaminating, same deal, I'm going to end up doing that work myself.

For that outer front windshield trim/seal, the company that did mine didn't receive it and reused my old one but told me the same thing others have stated here. It is only a trim piece to blend the windshield and body, it doesn't do anything in terms of sealing the windshield and is just press fit into the gap between the metal moulding and body. I ended up buying a new URO one from AASE, cost $40 shipped. However, if you're getting water through the windshield that wont solve your issue.

If in your position, I would consider a few options.

Option 1 (easiest, relatively speaking) Continue to call around, wait, and hope to find a shop that can handle the repair/replacement of your windshield/windshield seal.

Option 2 (Easier, less thorough but also little risk of breaking windshield): Remove interior trim and outer windshield trim. Have someone or yourself pour water on windshield to pinpoint leak. Clean up and mask off the area on the outside and apply a windshield adhesive, like 3M 08693. Being very careful to put the adhesive between the windshield and body, not into the metal moulding. Potentially, if there is room inside the car it may be easier to run a bead along the existing windshield sealant. All depending on the location of the leak. Finish with new outer trim and hope it's resolved. (Will take maybe 2 hours)

Option 3 (More intensive and potentially damaging but proper, and certainly the route I'd attempt): Purchase windshield removal wire, some plastic trim/windshield removal tools, at least two tubes of windshield sealant, and glass carrying suction cups (plus a friend. A six-pack is cheap, your windshield isn't. Just make sure the drinking is done after, not during). Remove outer windshield trim, both A-pillar covers, and lower windshield retainers. Poke a hole through the windshield sealant in front corner by cowl/hood. Insert wire and slowly work your way around the entire windshield being careful not to damage the glass or outer metal trim. You may need to work around with plastic tools to completely disconnect the windshield/sealant from the body. Attach suction cups and have friend help move the windshield to a safe place. Scrape off as much adhesive as possible from both the windshield and car. You can use metal blades, but I'd recommend plastic to avoid damage to paint or glass. Apply a thick bead of autoglass sealant (If using a sealant that requires primer, first prime the painted metal with manufacturer's recommended product). Have friend assist in carefully placing the windshield onto the car and seat into correct position, and quickly reinstall the two lower retainers. Work new outer trim into place (a heavy amount of Sprayway glass cleaner works as an excellent lubricant), starting from the top center. Finally, place masking tape to keep windshield in place if planning on driving the car.
This process can be daunting but is really just tedious and requires care. This will however take the better part of, if not an entire day to complete.

The biggest concern is your first post discussing the potential of rust. If there is a large section of rust or the location where the windshield seals is missing/rusted out... you may have a far more difficult repair on your hands.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:11 PM
goblues38
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 951Dreams
I sometimes hate living in the sticks. .

LOL...yeah...I pass by you 6x a year or so...not in my 944....driving from STL to Fayetteville AR. There is not much between Joplin and Rogers for sure.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:54 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Purchased one from them as part of a ~$5000 order of parts this past year. Came in a crate via lift gate freight service, too big and too heavy for FedEx (the parts list was extensive). There are a few options (antenna, shade) available, I got no on both.

I will say, they took very good care of all the parts, packed well and made only a single error on a HUGE order. They rectified the error directly (small part that was misbagged/tagged).

Guys, CHECK DEALER PRICING BEFORE YOU ORDER ANYTHING, you'd be surprised at what the internet dealers have, and what they charge for it. Plus, it's ****ing guaranteed to fit (speaking specifically about seals and other rubber pieces).
Old 03-05-2023, 01:56 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

When I replaced my 90 Cabrio windshield last summer I could not find a local installer anywhere. So I determined to do it myself. The old windshield was held in a death-grip that only an old-school German engineer could be proud of. Even after carefully cutting it as free as possible it still took my son and I, sitting in the seats and putting our shoes on the windshield, to push it free. Utterly shattered but held together nicely. Then came about 8 hours with hobby knives to scrape the old black rubber stuff out. New windshield went in like a charm. Getting the new trim to seat properly in the new windshield was another tear jerker until I developed a technique- using the “ball” at the end of the handle of a large craftsman screwdriver to “roll” over the seal saved my thumb. I am sure that there is a trick to all this, but for me acquiring the new windshield was the easiest part.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:00 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

Hello 944 friends, I'm having Safelite order the windshield from Porsche and the frame and trim and the Weather plugs. Can some shed some light on these weather plug and how and were to install them?

Thank you kindly
Helio
Old 11-16-2023, 11:12 AM
idealcheese
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Jumping in here to say that my insurance got a quote from the local Porsche service dept to replace my windshield, part # 477-845-011-G, for a total of $590. They want to payout to me directly and let me pay the dealer. But that price seems crazy low, and I worry that when I take the car in they will say "oh, we have to charge more for the seals" or something. Not sure what to do about this.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:24 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

The windshields changed in 1987, looks like yours is the early version. I think recent posts on this thread are about the later version. You might be fine. Call the dealer and double check the price if you are concerned.
https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...IFJlc3VsdHM%3D

Originally Posted by idealcheese
Jumping in here to say that my insurance got a quote from the local Porsche service dept to replace my windshield, part # 477-845-011-G, for a total of $590. They want to payout to me directly and let me pay the dealer. But that price seems crazy low, and I worry that when I take the car in they will say "oh, we have to charge more for the seals" or something. Not sure what to do about this.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:32 AM
idealcheese
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to know, thank you!
Old 11-27-2023, 05:04 PM
txhoosier
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DFW Area

Just saw this thread, last summer I got the windshield/rubber from A1 Auto Glass here in DFW. Elected the OEM option, was told thinner (and cheaper) repo glass was available from China, but that didn't sound good to me.

'87 Turbo.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: So... what do we do about windshields now?