Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Push button Start...without a key

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 10:53 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default OT: Push button Start...without a key

Hey Guys,

I've got a question..no..its not about a 944 but my Conquest..you guys seem to be more knowledgeable then the forum I visit for my Conquest..and maybe this will help some 944 owners?

Okay..In my Conquest (I tend to loose keys alot, and I dont really lock my doors..) Is it possible to install a push button starter without using a key? Heres my idea

Make a hidden (under dash?) switch that will turn on the ignition system (give it power) while the switch is on..but when its off..kill power to the ignition system...

When the switch is giving power, pressing the button will crank the car. Of course I will have to disable the steering lock (is this possible?)

I'm sure this would apply to more cars then mine and It seems like a kinda cool idea!

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My jetta has that, it always did ever since I bought it....Nice silver push button.....I guess the previous owner of the car had the same problems with keys as you do....Works just fine, if you want I could look to see how exactly its hooked up..

DAmian
Old 05-12-2004, 11:02 PM
MM951
Race Director

Really?! No keys?

That'd be great if you could help me out

For some reason, I never EVER loose the keys to hte Porsche (other then about 2x...
Old 05-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You generally need the key to get power to the switch but that can be overcome. Dont think it is a good idea but it can be done.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:42 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Why not just hide an extra key in the car. One of those magnetic key holders?
Old 05-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to do that very thing to my 944. Per the SCCA club racing rules I have to remove the steering wheel lock. Well, the entire lock mechanism has been removed actually. I just ordered a pushbutton switch for the starter, an ignition toggle with flip-up cover, and two accessory switches (one for general accessories and one for my helmet air blower).

Yes, it can certainly be done. You will have to go through the wiring diagram to figure out what wires to tap into of course.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:34 AM
MM951
Race Director

Wow George, how much did all of this cost ya?

I can't read diagrams, think if I post what is needed someone could help me out?

thanks guys!
Mike

PS: Steve- believe me..I'd loose that too!
Old 05-13-2004, 12:50 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

How about two push buttons. When you press the first it not only cranks the car but closes a relay that sends the necessary voltage to the ignition and other circuits. The second push button would turn the car off by disengaging the relay(s). Used on industrial electric motors. Both push buttons could be flush or counter sunk from the mounting bezels.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:37 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Mike Markota
Wow George, how much did all of this cost ya?
Not much. I bought Longacre products.

I sourced them through my own company (we have a reseller's account with a company that is a Longacre distributor). I can get them for you, but instead, call boys at Paragon. They are also a Longacre distributor and are a great member and supporter of the Rennlist community. Tell them I said so.

Starter Button: LA P/N 4546 $8.95

Ignition Toggle Switch with Flip-Up Cover: LA P/N 4547 $18.85

Switch (with rubber cover): LA P/N 4542 $9.85

Longacre also offers panels with these items installed.

Here is one with the above items plus pilot lights to indicate when the accessory switches are in the "ON" position. The panel is real cabon fiber.

LA P/N 44535 $64.90

Old 05-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Sach951
Pro

Lead Foot... just felt compelled to say once again that your car is _beautiful_....
Old 05-13-2004, 04:04 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Thank You wait till you see the most recent pics of the most recent mods...

And still have not had a chance to see how its wired on my jetta yet...

DAmian
Old 05-13-2004, 05:02 PM
MM951
Race Director

Bumpy

George--- If I converted to this set up, would my normal accesories work if I got the setup that just has the covered toggle switch and the starter button? Would I NEED those xtra ones? I'm looking to do this ona budget..
How difficult is it to install? What is needed to remove the steering wheel lock?

thanks for all the help guys!
mike

Last edited by MM951; 05-13-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Ok so I took a minute to see how the push Button start is wired up....Starting from the 2 pole push button.....One wire goes all the way to the starter from the push button, and its connected to the wire that gives the starter the word to crank, obviously the ignition....

THe second wire for the push button runs to a certain wire in my steering column, not sure which wire it is though....Now I spoke with a friend of mine about this and this is what we came up with...

THe PO of the Jetta took the actuall part you put your key in to start the car and soldered some type of connections to the back of it and possibly a relay of some kind...Not exactly sure what is going on in that area, but it is a mess to look at, not the cleanest wiring job.....I was very afraid to screw with it, cause i dont want to screw something up and not be able to start the car.....

So I guess when you turn your ignition in order to start your car, what you are doing is closing the circuit, in order to send a signal to the starter to tell it to turn over....So I guessing the PO jumped this circuit some how using a relay of sort...Thats what I think was done, not 100% sure on this though.....

Sorry could not be more help...

DAmian
Old 05-13-2004, 06:08 PM
MM951
Race Director

Hey DAmian- thanks for the help, plenty of help Really appreciate it!

I'll see if I can look at (figure out!) what the wiring is like for my car...The place George told me about sells harnesses for $20 that apparently make it easier. I'm gonna look into this some more and hopefully get this going. If it works out okay on the Conquest, I'll try it on the Porsche (yup...your reading it right, I love the 944...even if its slower!)- maybe it would help someone else out who has my problem!

thanks bud!
mike
Old 05-13-2004, 07:35 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Mike Markota
Hey DAmian- thanks for the help, plenty of help Really appreciate it!

I'll see if I can look at (figure out!) what the wiring is like for my car...The place George told me about sells harnesses for $20 that apparently make it easier. I'm gonna look into this some more and hopefully get this going. If it works out okay on the Conquest, I'll try it on the Porsche (yup...your reading it right, I love the 944...even if its slower!)- maybe it would help someone else out who has my problem!

thanks bud!
mike
The "harness" is just some wires with connectors. It won't help you with where they go. Also, the wires should only need to connect to wires at the ignition switch on the column. I'm no Einstein with electrical stuff, but that much I know.

Look at the wiring diagram for the ignition switch. This should give you all the information you need.

As for the place I recommend, call the boys at Paragon for this.

Quick Reply: OT: Push button Start...without a key