Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 11:40 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

I did a search for custom automotive AC line Vancouver, BC and this seemed promising.
Autotechac offers: A/C hose repair, line repair, and we also offer full custom air conditioning hose building for hot rods, trucks, or custom vehicles. They're in Maple Ridge.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:47 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by harveyf
Sort of. On my 928, I wanted to replace leaking power steering hoses. They are also a combination of steel and rubber. One of the hoses had an internal orifice, which could have been easily missed. I buy most of my 928 parts from 928srus and they had the hoses I needed. Are you saying you can't find factory hoses or just don't like the price? Yes, they can be pricey but having a system that holds pressure for years can be priceless.

Earlier I was tempted to say something snarky about the need for AC in BC but having a son that lives in Seattle, I am well aware that things get pretty brutal heat wise up there, at times. Also a functional AC is vastly superior when trying to clear a fogged windshield.
I know the internal orifice you refer to, my BMWs have the same on the PS system.
I mentioned in my original post these hoses are available from Porsche, about the cheapest I've seen is $370 each. So for me in Canada that works out to about $1000 CAD for 2 hoses. I guess Id pay that if I had to, but I like to do things the hard way and fool myself ( and my wife) that Im saving money. Like a lot of things in these projects I always hunt around for options, I don't always go for the cheapest, just like to know whats out there.

And yeah AC in Vancouver, Its not Arizona but it gets hot up here in the Summer. For me, the only time I drive my old cars is the summer. Theres too much rain and ice on the road in the winter. They start brining the roads here in Nov so the only time I get to enjoy them is the hot time of the year. Lots of traffic to sit in here as well. Having said that none of my BMWs have functioning AC, hoping to rectify that someday.
And these hoses I believe would be impossible ( or damn near) to replace with the engine installed so nows the time to do it wether I complete the whole system right away or not.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:49 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Should be no problem for any hose shop to do, using correct AC type hose (they have it).

Around 2007 I did this repair with a twist.
I had JIC (steel AN) male fittings brazed onto the ends of the steel tube sections. Then had new AC hoses made with female JIC swivel fittings for the rubber sections.
The swivel fittings helped compensate for the natural curve of the hose and made install easier.
The idea was to make the hoses easily replaceable in the future since JIC fittings are universal.

This worked great for me until 2020 when I removed AC from the car due to an engine swap.
Sounds like a great idea. I did see AN connectors in my search of AC components etc. I may consider that if I get the crimper and make my own lines.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:53 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by curtisr
I did a search for custom automotive AC line Vancouver, BC and this seemed promising.
Autotechac offers: A/C hose repair, line repair, and we also offer full custom air conditioning hose building for hot rods, trucks, or custom vehicles. They're in Maple Ridge.
Hey thx very much. I do have a shop I've spoken to in the past but I'll check this place out.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:59 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Ya I was going to say take advantage of the inner web find phone #s and make calls. Hose diameter can be a issue. Do your do diligence and you will find a solution.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:50 AM
brooklyn944
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maybeillbuyit
And these hoses I believe would be impossible ( or damn near) to replace with the engine installed so nows the time to do it wether I complete the whole system right away or not.
I'm beginning to fear that this may be true. I'm hoping my Spring project will be to get AC put back in my 87 N/A - no A/C in the NYC summer is not fun at all. Everything forward of the firewall is gone. Obviously replacing the hard lines while the engine is out is the right way to do it, but I'm curious now if there's an alternative solution. Could one run barrier hoses all the way to the front, generally following the bends of the original?
Old 01-30-2023, 02:19 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

brooklyn944, You would think that would be doable. I'd like to just keep the OEM look . Obviously the metal lines are stronger etc . I can tell you that even with the engine out those AC lines are trapped behind the the three brake lines below the booster . I had to disconnect all those to get the AC out, which I was doing anyways so no big deal.

Last edited by maybeillbuyit; 01-30-2023 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2023, 02:32 PM
brooklyn944
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to know. I figure eventually the engine will have to come out for some reason or another, and at that time I'll get the hard lines back in there, but for now I'm going to keep exploring the "full hose" method.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:43 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

So as an update here I have just bought this little cheap *** beauty:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123954187081

I also bought couple sizes of hose and ferrules to go with it, hopefully the correct size for what I'm doing. I've been talking about doing this for a while, just going to do it

Also spoke to a Autotech today and I've just sent off a couple pics of the lines and they'll get back to me with a quote so I may have these two line done by a shop to hopefully guarantee they are done right and won't leak as they'll be impossible to re&re later. I have two other old cars with inop AC systems so lots of lines to make. Updates to come if anyone cares. Thx for the input as always to everyone whos replied
The following users liked this post:
boom10ful (01-30-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 01:15 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Just to report back on where I am on this issue. The AC crimper has been delivered to my daughters boyfriend in Wash State and he will be dropping it off at my place tonight. I got a quote from Autotech for $550 to do these two lines and another quote from a different AC shop for $700. Both those numbers seem silly high to me but its typical for anything car related here in Vancouver. I have one other shop Im going to get a quote from but I'm not expecting to be happily surprised. I may even try a shop or two down in Washington State as I'm down there a lot for various reasons. You may wonder why I don't just get the lines done and move on. I would probably do that but I have 2 other cars that need all the same stuff. So 3 cars X 4 or 5 hoses per car could get extremely expensive. I'd like to find a reasonable way to replace all these AC lines.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:37 PM
Chalt
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Wait, if you bought the ferrules and crimp tool, why are you hiring a shop to make some of the hoses?
Old 02-16-2023, 06:54 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chalt
Wait, if you bought the ferrules and crimp tool, why are you hiring a shop to make some of the hoses?
Well as I said a couple posts up^^^. " Also spoke to a Autotech today and I've just sent off a couple pics of the lines and they'll get back to me with a quote so I may have these two line done by a shop to hopefully guarantee they are done right and won't leak as they'll be impossible to re&re later."

In other words: Not sure if me making my first AC lines ever and installing then if they leak in the future is the smartest move. Wouldn't be a big deal if it was one of the other lines up around the front of the engine.
Old 02-17-2023, 01:56 PM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by maybeillbuyit
Well as I said a couple posts up^^^. " Also spoke to a Autotech today and I've just sent off a couple pics of the lines and they'll get back to me with a quote so I may have these two line done by a shop to hopefully guarantee they are done right and won't leak as they'll be impossible to re&re later."

In other words: Not sure if me making my first AC lines ever and installing then if they leak in the future is the smartest move. Wouldn't be a big deal if it was one of the other lines up around the front of the engine.
It's surprised me to see how expensive AC hose is -- at least in Canada. While Royal Brass and Hose (US) sells the proper hose for around $7 a foot, Canada Supply charges twice that much and more. Par for the course, I suppose. I would have suggested taking the hose to a Princess Auto to have them perform the crimps but it looks like you may have this well in hand.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:12 PM
maybeillbuyit
Rennlist Member

Yeah it seems prices for parts and supplies are all over the map. I think some of that may be cheap *** chinese parts VS quality stuff. I never would have thought of Princess Auto for the crimping, as far as I know they are just a retailer.

I just called PA and they do hydraulic hoses to order from parts they sell. But don't have anything to do with AC.

As with everything automotive up here in Canada. We pay double for everything and usually have one business the actually does the kind of work we need.

Quick Reply: AC line replacement