Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To Install Rear Sway on '87NA Without One?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Install Rear Sway on '87NA Without One?

Okay, I know this is a dumb question, but my car has no rear sway bar and I don't know how to install one properly? However, I do have a stock 951 bar I bought from a 'lister a long time ago and never installed. I don't know what size, but can measure with Verniers and post later if important. Also, I have to go and see what parts were sent to me, but I think I've got the drop link - (stupid question coming) do I need two? What other parts do I need for a car that never had a rear bar?

Does anyone have a few pictures of the installed bar that also may have pix of BOTH ends? I don't have a 944 with rear sway around to "copy". I'm sure it would be easy if I did. assume I need new rubber bushings, what size? Where to buy? Are there adjustments I need to make once it is installed?

I ought to know this from being around here so long, so sorry, any/all help appreciated.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need the two center clamps, two center bushings, two drop links, two drop link bolts, two camber eccentrics, and the nuts for the drop link to camber eccentric. The eccentrics for cars with a rear bar have an extra stud machined onto the head for the drop link to attach to. Those without rear bars do not have this stud. As to where to get the parts, I've never seen a worn out drop link so try to find some used (new is pretty expensive I think). Same goes for the center brackets, eccentrics, and other hardware. New eccentrics are in the $50 a piece range. The center bushings (mount on the torsion bar tube) can be bought from the dealer or any decent parts place (Paragon, etc.) If the rear of my car was jacked up I could get some pictures but it's not since my front is high in the air. No adjustments can be made with any rear bar except for the 968 M030 bars which have three seperate holes on the outside end for attaching to the drop link.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Oh, you'll also need the center clamp to torsion bar carrier bolts. Your best bet is to find someone parting a car with a rear bar and snag all the hardware.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:09 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Joe, Thanks for the info. Sounds like a lot of parts and I am screwed.
I agree the best course is to find a car being parted.

What can I do about this "extra stud machined onto the head for the drop link" you mentioned? How to get around this? I need a visual to understand what's to be done, I suppose.

Anyone with a donor car to give/sell me a full set of rear sway bar stuff?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:14 PM
TonD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.porsche-944.nl/forum/view...?p=28293#28293

You probably wouldn't understand a word of the Dutch talking, but look at the pictures, the speak for themselves. However I'm not sure what to do about it...maybe switch bolts?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Non-sway bar eccentric

That's a pic of the camber eccentric on your car (taken off my friend's '84 which we installed a rear bar on with parts from my parts car). The sway bar eccentric will have a threaded stud protruding from the hex side. It's machined on there so all you can do about it is buy that eccentric. I guess you could weld on a stud but I'd be afraid of it breaking off, which it most likely would.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I did a little research on putting a rear bar onto my 924S, but never actually did it. Note that the bushings you get are dependent on the bar you have, in this case if you have a 951 rear swaybar, that either means its a 16mm or 18mm bar.

Paragon has an adapter kit that sells all hardware you will need to outfit a rear sway onto your car, you can check the Tech-Session part of the site for a complete list.

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=90&c=4
Old 05-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Second pic in that dutch link shows what I'm talking about. Thanks TonD.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:21 PM
TonD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Joe Jackson
Second pic in that dutch link shows what I'm talking about. Thanks TonD.
You're welcome, no problem

The captions of both pics btw read:

"This is a bolt on a car without rear swaybar"

and the 2nd:

"...and this car has a rear swaybar.." (or at least prepared )

I'm putting a 14mm rear swaybar on my '84 within now and a few weeks btw. I know, it's nothing like M030 or even 951 stock...but I have the 21.5mm in front, so 14mm in rear is a good buddy for that one
Old 05-10-2004, 08:23 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

I can't help with all the parts, but I do have 1 extra camber eccentric bolt laying in my tool box. If you want it I'll send it off to you for $10 (better than $50!).

-nick
Old 05-10-2004, 08:29 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm planning the same for my 83.

Photos from Clarks.

Clarks

Drop links can be had from KLA

KLA

This is all I know. I'm also buying Sway Bars from a fellow rennlister, hoping that parts that I need will be with them.

More to come.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:56 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

dan,
i have the stock bars from my car. 23.5 mm front and 14mm rear.
you might want more than a 14mm rear though. i have an 18mm now and i like it. I also have the 2 clamps and bolts that attach to the torsion bar carrier. I have sand blasted the clamps and refinished in silver paint. i think i have the bushings but they may be slightly worn. the only thing else you need are drop links and mounting/eccentric bolts.
you are welcome to the clamps and bolts and center bushings - i dont need them. you can have the 14mm bar for 20 bucks if interested. if you want me to mail the clamps. bolts and bushings - just let me know and send me 4 bucks. shipping on the rear bar is probably 8-10 bucks. let me know. I tried to sell everything and short while ago- had several people interested - but the interest just died. the bars are gathering dust in my garage and i'd like to see them be put to some use.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone. But I'm back to the same place I always get to. I sorta understand where the bar starts/ends and that it goes through carriers. I'm not clear what the drop links do or why I may want adjustable ones.

In short? I need to lay under a car with a rear bar and SEE how it connects/acts on the suspension. I guess I'm a visual leaner or something. So if you find some guy laying under your car in a parking lot looking under the rear of your car, don't back over me! Just yell at me to move my ignorant *** outta there!
Old 05-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Fezz,

Just posted and came back to find your post. When I get home in a little while I'll go take inventory of whatI've already got and PM you back. I obviously need to understand the parts better and the installation better. It's can't be that hard, I've just not gotten a clear mental picture yet.

P.S. Too bad I didn't know to talk about your clamps, bushing, etc last week when we were talking about the sunroof gears, huh?!

Quick Reply: How To Install Rear Sway on '87NA Without One?