Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires- Bridgestones, etc... recommendations???

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....total street car- that's why they have to be somewhat quiet.... I would love to try some P-Zeros or Pilots though, but, if they got noisy on me after a few thousand mies, I'd be VERY upset to have to buy something new after having spent so much $$$....
Old 05-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a quick adie, the reason for the difference in weigh between tires are things like, casing, construction, etc. Pick up a Hoosier RS303 and you will know what I mean. In tires lighter is NOT always better. It means there is less in the way of reinforcements and a bunch of other items that will bore you. Additonally, FWIW, I recently read in a auto rag that professional drivers are echoing what I have been saying here for some time: YOU WILL NOT EVER KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. Even seasoned race drivers cannot always tell you.

Try whatever tire you like, I think you would like the RE750 but there are other good selections. Also keep in mind that if you are sure you can tell the difference (which I am 100% sure you will not be able to) we do offer a 30 day test drive, so you could return them.

Review: Lightest tire not best tire (just lightest), you will not EVER be able to make the distinction between a 23.5 lb tire and a 24.6 lb tire.

Lastly, where are you getting your weight from? I have weight info for BS products on my desk, cant give it to you until Tuesday though as I am getting ready to start driving up to Chicago tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I did a search, here, the other night & someone had listed a chart comparing several tires in various sizes. ALSO- the Bridgestones I replaced w/the SP8000's were 2lbs heavier than the SP's- tehey were ALSO half gone & the SP's were new.... This isn't 100% convincing, but,...

A 30day test run huh? THAT would be nice.... Can I just send them back to Tire RAck if I order them from them? Is it that simple?

Also, I would just like the weights for a 255/40/17 S03 & RE 750 if you have them.... Would love to see the chart eventually, though so I could compare to 245/45/16, etc, but,. for now, IF you have time just to look up the two tires ina 255/40/17, I would really appreciate it- I'm planning to order Monday- Bridgestones also have a $50 refund right now- that's nice... Any advice on how the AVS Sport & ES100 stack up to them?

You're probably right about noticing hte weight, but, it's just thjat I'm already addding a few pounds on the wheels & I'm just weighing ALL the pros & cons.... I MAY VERY WELL go w/the RE750s anyway... But, the chart I saw showed the S03's as being ~4lbs heavier than several other tires.... Didn't list the RE750....

Thanks a lot...
Old 05-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Robby- I will get you that info but buying tires based on what they weigh is not smart. If that is your only concern then buy the smallest wheels that will fit over the brakes and get some non-spped rated tires as I assure you they are lighter. It is like choosing your wife by the size of her feet, senseless.

You should be buying tires for their performance. The ES100 isnt close to the Michelin PS or the BS S-03, so what if it weighs less. Understand what I mean. You bought the car for performance not sensability. If there was a 16 lb. difference between sets that would take about 1HP, you are NEVER going to notice. Hell the magazine was telling someone they wouldnt notice 30 lbs. per corner (which I also believe is true and have said many times).

One last ponderance, why do you care about 2 lbs on a street car? It would make no difference on a track car and even less than that on a street car.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 750s are not good enough for your car. Have a look at the 730s if you want something a little cheaper than the SOs.

Some performance tires are heavier because they have a thicker stiffer side wall. It's a good thing.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:43 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Blue S2
I have the S03s. Who said they were loud??? Ive never noticed them being very noisy. They grip VERY well, and they are awesome in the wet!
My thoughts exactly. I've noticed no noise issues and they stick like glue!!!

Just my experience though and I don't track just casual driving.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Danno
Race Director

Too bad they don't make the A046 tire in the sizes I want...
Old 05-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Matt H
Race Director

The 750s are not good enough for your car. Have a look at the 730s if you want something a little cheaper than the SOs.

The 750 replaced the 730 and it tests better in absolutely every category. Since he mentioned noise, lets start with the fact that 730 was one of the loudest tires every produced.

Some performance tires are heavier because they have a thicker stiffer side wall. It's a good thing.

It is a good thing but the weight is 99.9% of the time in the casing and ply bodies, not the sidewall.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:05 PM
mdex
Racer

People sometimes make too much of a big deal on tire weight... if this is a street car I would worry more about how it tracks, noise, handleing etc first. I am going to second the Goodyear F1 D3's... they are a great street tire... quiet, good ride, on the street great dry traction, and they are fantastic in the wet.

I run them as a wet track tire / street tire and change to a set of track tires for the dry DE days.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[i]The 750 replaced the 730 and it tests better in absolutely every category. Since he mentioned noise, lets start with the fact that 730 was one of the loudest tires every produced.[ [/B]
Maybe they're only available in Canada? I've had both the original and updated versions, and nver noticed any sound problems.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:08 AM
Matt H
Race Director

They are discontinued everywhere. Someone just has sets lying around. The Gen2 tire just had a slightly different tread pitch on the outside shoulder, wanna know why? People complained about noise.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guy's- I am NOT making up my mind based on weight- I completely agre w/you Matt... I just wanted to know- I completely agree that performance, ride, noise level, etc ALL come before weight- would be nice to get the best of all worlds, but, probably not possible... Anyway, so, you said the ES100 wouldn't be close to a Mich PS OR BS S03- well, how would it compare to the RE750? I mean, "wont come close" is kind of relative- not meaning to be a PITA, &, I know you don't have a chart w/every single tire listed in order of their performance, etc, but, I'm just curious, b/c I've been advised the ES100 about as much as the RE 750- hearing several people NOW say the S03 isn't loud, makes me kind of want to go all out & get them, but, they ARE pricey... Would I REALLY notice much dif b/t the RE750 & S03/PS? What about compared to SP8000's- are the RE750's better than them? SP8000's have a rep that's ALL OVER the place- some people SWEAR by them & other's hate them- I KNOW I LOVED the AVS Intermediates though & THAT'S the one I'd most like to compare the RE750, ES100, Sport, S03, etc too- my only prob w/them is that they got loud, BUT, it was a FWD car & the rears cupped....

Thanks
Old 05-09-2004, 02:35 AM
ribs
Rennlist Member

One of my friends runs hankooks (cheap korean tires) on his hyundai and likes them plenty...
Old 05-09-2004, 02:50 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIBS! How ya been? haven't heard from you in awhile....

Yeah, it's funny how things work sometime- 1000 people could try the same tire you just mentioned & be ECSTATIC w/it, but, I garuantee you, if I bought it, it would SUCK for me on MY car...
Old 05-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Danno
Race Director

Robby, I've been through a tonne of analysis-paralysis with you on suspensions, brakes, tires, etc. and I think I can help you out there. Forget about the 750s, they will not meet your performance requirements and you WILL be disappointed. Once you get your suspension dialed in and your brake-pads selected, the tires will be next and their grip will not meet your expectations. Neither will the ES100 or the S03. These are compromize tires at best with tire-life in mind.

What you want is the Potenza S02 in 255/40-17 front & rear (I'm assuming you have 17x9" wheels all around). Problem is finding a supply of them, but there's still some tucked away in corners of warehouses. They easily out-grip all of the tires presented here, especially the OEM compound used in the S2000. Supposedly that was a softer compound than what you get as an aftermarket replacement.

Anyway, your braking distances will drop at least 10ft from what you have now. The turn-in and cornering stabilty will be much improved over the SP8000; partly due to the shorter sidewall. But the breakaway will be more sudden with less squeal, so be prepared for that. And that breakaway limit will be significantly higher than what you're getting out of the SP8000.

You only want to be buying tires once. Go for the stickiest you can get without too many of the compromizes the others have. The Potenza SO2 fits the bill for all the stuff that you've debating about.

BTW, a pound or two on the tire won't make much of a difference since you're looking at about +5-7 lbs already for the wheels.

Quick Reply: New tires- Bridgestones, etc... recommendations???