Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer Question

My reset button suddenly goes in sort of "canted" or "crooked" instead of straight in like it did. The trip odometer does not reset. Is this the famed "broken odometer gear" issue or something else? Button broken?

I assume it is the odometer gear, but I am a little confused since I did NOT attempt to reset it while moving the vehicle. It wasn't even running. I had just gassed up, did the usual reset before starting and it broke...I guess. Unless this is something else...any chance?

P.S. Just how big a pain in the **** is this repair. I already looked up the Tech Article in Paragon and it looks annoyingly exacting. Yes?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Roll up to a light, odometer still spinin'"

But seriously, if the odometer is still going round and round then it is not the gear. What it sounds like is the little button that gets pushed behind the vents has fallen down. Just pull the vents and put it back up. I think they come out with 5 screws. 3 above the steering wheel and two in the far right vent. There may be another one in a vent so get a flash light and look. Dont just go pulling on it.
Easy fix with no parts needed. Just put the button back in its little slot.

Worst case is that the plastic piece in the dash vents has broken. I think I have seen them on ebay lately.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:16 PM
MrTran
Track Day

Hey Dan,
Since your odometer stopped working without you resetting the trip odometer with the vehicle moving, I can only assume that your odometer gear was probably "pushed" out of position. My odometer stopped working and I thought the odometer gear was broken but I opened up my speedometer to dissect the problem and discovered that my odometer gear was "pushed" out of position (no longer making contact wth the main gear that spins it). All I had to do was push the gear back into place and everything was good as new.

Another potential reason is that since your reset button was "canted or crooked", you might've broken or loosen the mechanism that operates to reset the trip odometer. I can't help you in this area if that is the case.

Tran
Old 05-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tran- If you are referring to the 924S it is an "early" dash, and you are correct. The gear slides off the pinion.
the late dash is completely different.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:26 PM
MrTran
Track Day

I wasn't aware of the differences. My bad...I'm still a newbie :-D Nice 924S you got there.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

MrTran- Come on out sometime. Tonight was the GTG at Dave & Busters in Cinci (I worked late)
..and there are SW Ohio GTG's about every weekend! I know a BBQ is scheduled for May in Middletown..I'll be working on mine this weekend- maybe at Danny's in Cinti.

OH and 944FEST- see sig.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:58 PM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Guys,
My trip odometer is still working. It is recording the miles, I just can't reset it.

So per Travis, it sounds like it IS a problem with the button (or whatever is back there?) behind the actualy faux "vent" vane you push to reset it. I had attempted to take the cluster out a couple of weeks ago to polish the lens, didn't finish doing it as I was running out of light, and now I suspect I put something back incorrectly that lead to this. Sounds about right, huh? Thanks everyone. I'll post what I find later.

Quick Reply: Odometer Question