Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Ended: Do I have a chance at collecting on diminished value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 02:48 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Rear Ended: Do I have a chance at collecting on diminished value?

I was rear ended about a week ago. I was stopped at a stop sign, and the girl behind me, who was also stopped, decieded to drive before I did: Wham. The damage to the car isn't remendous, she was trying to go around me or something (this was a REALLY stupid girl), so it all amounts to a smashed tail light, and a very sraped up & slightly dented rear quarter panel and valence.

Since I was rear ended she's obviously responsible 100% (this was confirmed to me several times by different police officers). My question is this: The car had the original paint (which was in excellent condition), it was a somewhat rare color- linen gray metallic, and is an 89, so it's a bit of a special car; do I have anychance at getting reimbursement for diminished value from her insurance in addition to getting the repairs paid for?

The car was not a concourse car before the accident, and it had occurred to me to get it resprayed, some of you may remember I posted a poll a few weeks back to see what you all thought about getting it resprayed vs. leaving it. There were a few small dents and the usual stone chips, but the car was certainly not in NEED of a paint job, it would have just been nice. I still got compliments on the car all the time, despite the odd door ding etc. I had just about decided against the paint, and now I got hit .

So, what do I need to establish that the value of the car is considerably less now that it won't have the original paint? Or is this all a completely lost cause?

FWIW, I would not normally be trying to take this for all I can, but the girl that hit me was an incredible bitch. After hitting me she wanted favors from me (to use my cell phone, for me to wait until her parents arrived before I called the police, and when I didn't grant he these favors she started calling me names and insulting me. I couldn't believe that she was acting like she was entitled to these things after hitting me).

Anyway, let me know what you guys think, I'd love to take whatever compensation I can get in addition to the damage and repair the little door dings and that stuff. Sorry for babling on about it.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:58 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perhaps, I know I always pay more for a car with original paint.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:58 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Short answer: no prayer on diminished value.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:10 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar experience dealing with a driver like that -- I got rear-ended while stopped at a light during rain. The driver didn't brake early enough and she rear-ended me. Minimal damage to the car and myself -- thank god for those huge bumpers. But she totally pissed me off because she was being really bitchy. Wouldn't take any responsibility and blamed me for having stopped for a light (this was in Boston, where yellow means accelerate so the person behind you can make the light). She was driving without an ID, too.

I wouldn't have done anything if she was a nice person, but because she pissed me off, I reported the incident to police and my insurance company. Now they having a ball making her life miserable. I got nothing for my troubles, however...
Old 05-03-2004, 09:09 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kevin,

Give me a call when you can.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:59 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Just remember a little ding adds up on these cars. When I got hit the only damage was a slight dent to the drivers quarter panel. Her insurance company settled for $1957.00.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:20 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

I got rear ended a month ago in Florida- I was able to fix the car for free with a wench- all I had to do was pull the bumper out, and it was as good as new, and I managed o get over $2K from his insurance co. Best thing that ever happened to me!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks guys, that's kinda what I was expecting, but I wanted to make sure.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Kevin,

Sucks about the car, good luck with the arrangements.
You going to be in the 'burgh this summer for any events/beaverun/944fest?

Originally posted by ElonDooberhead
I was able to fix the car for free with a wench
She must have been talented!
*ducks*
Old 05-03-2004, 02:34 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

This is kind of off topic for the thread, but what kind of 944 events are there in the Pittsburgh area?? I am from the Erie area and would be interested and coming down to hang out with fellow 944 owners.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by wombat7
This is kind of off topic for the thread, but what kind of 944 events are there in the Pittsburgh area?? I am from the Erie area and would be interested and coming down to hang out with fellow 944 owners.
The biggest event in PGH for P-cars is the Vintage Grand Prix--held every year in July. Me and Panzer from Pelican make the event every year. Definately worth the time--it is organized through the Allegheny region PCA(if you want to display your car), but entry to the event itself is free--vintage racing and fields full of RR, Triumphs, Jags, Lotus, Morgans, MGs, Astons, Rovers, BMWs, Porsches, Ferraris, Mercedes, Vettes, VWs, the odd Lambo and DeTomaso, and old American iron.

I will be sitting by my car drinkng a beer--look for the Rennlist decal.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:04 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am always doing 944 stuff and I am in New Wilmington PA. about an hour south of you. contact me if you have any questions!
Old 05-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

The Grand Prix at Schenley, the new track up at BeaveRun & its events this summer (DE, Auto-X, & the club race in August), and the trip to 944Fest were the events I was referring to specifically.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm in NY for most of the summer, though I might come to the Vintage Grand Prix. That's a long way off...
Old 05-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do I have anychance at getting reimbursement for diminished value from her insurance in addition to getting the repairs paid for?

According to the recently found judgement for State Farm vs. 219K litigants in a class action; NO. Might have been more or less ligitants who remembers, the judgement was handed down about 3 days ago IIRC.

Quick Reply: Rear Ended: Do I have a chance at collecting on diminished value?