Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Floor Options? U-Seal it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 03:13 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Did you consider the Race Deck tiles? They seem to look for finished in the web pictures I've seen. Don't know how they compare on price or durability though. Anybody here using Race Deck tiles?
Old 05-02-2004, 03:05 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

All the tiles manufacturers pretty much offer the same product. RaceDeck, Kiwi Tile, CircleTrak. They are very good. Durable. Install easy, can be removed easy. Cleanup pretty easy. Replaced easy. Downside is cost. To do a two car garage you need to budget $1000. For me, I cannot stand working on the concrete. The elevated tile is 75% why Im going with the tiles. No hard cold floor.

Those who have actually bought them should chime in, but under $3 a sq/foot is where the prices can be found.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:09 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I'll be using the Rust-Oleum epoxy on my garage floor in a few days. I used it on my stepmom's garage last fall and so far have been very pleased with it. It was easy to use, it covered well (in fact, I could have put it on thicker!) and since it's water-based, cleanup was a snap. It has survived the heavy beating so far.

It doesn't require any acid etcing (and, IIRC, they actually recommend against doing that!). The kit comes with comes with a cleaning detergent, but I just pressurewashed the floor. I let it dry over night and painted it the next day. It's something like 12 hours to walk on it, 3 or so days to put stuff on it and one week to park a car on it.

The only thing I can't speak for is long-term durability. But so far I have been very pleased with the product.

BB.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:18 PM
jcheng
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I used the epoxyshield stuff, I let it dry for several weeks before
I parked any cars in the garage, and the paint still lifted. So I'm a little
disappointed in the product. It's too bad, 'cause otherwise the
floor looks really nice.

Rather than stripping the paint and re-painting, I'm thinking about
parking on one of those "car pad"-type things. Anyone know of a good
source for those?

--John
Old 05-02-2004, 04:42 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am moving into a newly built townhome in about a month. It has a two car garage that I plan to lay Vinyl Composition Tile in. Here is what I am talking about:

Product at Home Depot

It is used in hospitals, server rooms, etc. It is fairly cheap at about 50-60 cents a tile. I estimate my cost around $300. You simply lay it like you would any vinyl tile. It is quite heavy duty and should clean up easily. Many people use jacks and jack stands without a problem. In the case where a tile is damaged, you simply pull it up and replace it.

Here is an example of a garage with the tile:

Example 1
Example 2

If you guys have any thoughts on this, let me know.

Max

Last edited by macnewma; 05-02-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:53 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by UDPride
Those who have actually bought them should chime in, but under $3 a sq/foot is where the prices can be found.
Under 3 per square foot now were talking....I was looking over prices on the griot site and it would cost me a kidney to tile it. I need to do 608sq ft so if groits prices are the norm I'll go w/ epoxy paint. I'd really like the checkered flag tile though...man that looks nice!
Old 05-02-2004, 05:01 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

mac... that sound really good. the only thing it doesnt have is the thickness....but I'm not worried about a cold floor down here. I may go this route and just cut some sheet steel to place under high pressure areas (like jack stands, casters on the jack, rollaway casters etc..). Sounds good keep us informed on how it works out!
Old 05-02-2004, 05:21 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will document the process as I am inexeperienced at tiling. I have heard it isn't too tough really. I will probably have some steel cut for jack stand pads too.

Max
Old 05-02-2004, 06:13 PM
bpp944
Pro

I acid-stained and sealed my garage floor. It looks pretty sweet and the finish is durable.

here's one of the sites I used.

http://www.acid-stain.com/

Bryan

Quick Reply: Garage Floor Options? U-Seal it?