Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i screwedup

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

adrial, I'll take a Virtual 20 oz Dortmunder with my hot wing order.

Let the Carnarble wagon rollout!! The next virtual round of drinks is on me.

3pm EST.
http://www.chicagoreport.net/archives/000884print.php

www.alsam.com/listenlive.asp

"Jim Johnson celebrated his thirtieth year at WLS in 1998. He lists among his achievements the invention of the Canarble Wagon"
Old 04-30-2004, 11:58 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No hot wings only kokolash!
I sell crab juice, mountain dew and kokolash.
*slides Dortmunder down the virtual bar* Picture a matrix 0's and 1's style visual...
Old 04-30-2004, 12:02 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think this is the proper place for the F word. It is a shame you can't express yourself without this kind of langauge.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by adrial
No hot wings only kokolash!
I sell crab juice, mountain dew and kokolash.
Ew...Mountain Dew!? Gimme a crab juice! *points to graphic in his siggy*

Ok, I must admit that I'm all for having a little fun in our cars, even on public roads. However, to effectively do this, one must build in some margin for error. The typical way of doing this is to drive slower than the max speed attainable in a given stretch of road. Another way of doing this is to hold back a little in terms of pushing the car.

Typically, I estimate that I drive 8/10ths of my ability on the track. (You gotta leave margin even there!) Driving at 8/10ths on the street for me is not a good idea. I drop it down to somewhere between 6/10ths and 7/10ths. Sure, it's not as fun, but an expensive repair bill isn't fun either!

Note that I didn't say anything about speed limits. (yet). I would estimate that our cars are probably at 5/10ths if we are travelling at the posted speed. Then going 6/10ths or 7/10ths would equate to a little over the speed limits (ex: 60 in a 50mph zone). I am not saying that is OK for you to do! But I'm also not going to say I drive 45mph in a 65mph zone either! My point is this: when you 'take it up a notch,' and you go 8/10ths, or 9/10ths on the street, you decrease your margin for error. Less margin for error = greater likelyhood of a mishap. Keeping it at a resaonable speed does limit the enjoyment factor, but it does keep you safe as well!

For me, it's not the max speed that thrills me. For me, it's plotting my apex through a turn. On the street this usually means that I have the biggest smiles on my face during the exits and entries to highways. Do I apex all the way in, and do I track completely out? NO WAY! But I do experiement with different lines through an on/off ramp, always making sure that there is some space in case my 'new line' doesn't work!

We do not know the details of what caused MacWolfe to loose control of his car: we are assuming it was because he was pushing the limits. This may or may not be true. If he was pushing the limits, well, that's the cost of playing, plain and simple. Happens all the time, everywhere, even on the track! Again: it seems that Mac is ok. Cars can be repaired. Pride can be restored. People take longer to heal. Hopefully Mac will clarify soon.

Now, where's my crab juice!?!
-Z-man.

Last edited by Z-man; 04-30-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who here doesn't exceed the limit from time to time? The trick is to know when and how to do it, and having off-road excusions is never cool. Doing it in the city is rarely cool either, too many variables.

I used to do sport bike runs with a bunch of guys, and those who lacked judgement or rode beyond their skills weren't asked back.

Every summer there's a sportbike rally in Parry Sound north of Toronto. I haven't been for there several years, but it' an amazing event. Great roads (except for the sand) and the local police put away their radar guns for the weekend.

Of course, bikes present a lot less risk to other road users than cars. If you make a mistake on a bike, you pay for it yourself.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When you said you mess-up on 9 and are from california I though you mess-up at turn 9 at Willow Springs.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:15 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I thought too...lol.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dang, that stinks Marco. If you ever need help getting the car repaired, call me up, I'll be glad to help.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:56 PM
MacWolffe
Advanced

1. What was the condition of the road surface, ie was it dusty or wet?
2. How fast were you going in MPH?
3. Do you drive this road frequently and if so were you going faster than normal?
4. What was the condition of your tires, how old were they did they have adequete tread?
5. What was your last input before the back end slid, did you brake, or let of the throttle or floor it?
6. What do you think caused the accident?
7. What could have been done to prevent it?

1. road was dry, maybe dusty (it was late and no lights on the road)
2. hard to estimate the speed probably around 45-50 cos of the downgrade of the hill.
3. i hadn't driven the road for a couple of months, but yes i was going faster than normal.
4. tires were in pretty good condition (no cracks or sign of age, plenty of thread) but i don't know how old they are.
5. last input was pulling the wheel to the right more.
6. excessive speed (no excuses, it was my fault)
7. taking it easy going down (i usually do)
Old 04-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

What were your feet doing? Maintaining steady throttle, off the gas, on the gas or on the brakes?
Old 04-30-2004, 02:01 PM
MacWolffe
Advanced

i was braking through the turn.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:16 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for changing the title of the thread
-Erich
Old 04-30-2004, 02:28 PM
visualpascal
Advanced

I've always wanted 9 or 17 blocked off to see how fast I could take it, but I'm scared enough driving 5 over because of all the moronic drivers in the bay area. I vote for lengthier drivers training/examination and mandatory performance driving. (i.e. not being stupid in corners, what do you if you start to slide, etc). The last time it rained I saw 5 or 6 SUV's spin out on freeway offramps....grr.....now I need to remember to head up over the mountain before traffic starts today!

oh yeah, on topic - Glad to hear that you and the car didn't take it too badly; parts of that road are really poorly paved.

--Chris
Old 04-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by MacWolffe
i was braking through the turn.
That was probably your mistake

You probably should have stayed on the gas to maintain speed through the corner. That would have been your best chance of making it through if you went in too hot.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you.

Post some pics of the road. I'd be curious how it looks.

Quick Reply: i screwedup