Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking oil light

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 09:53 PM
DHS928
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Question Blinking oil light

87 924S, since I have gotten the car (two months) the oil light has blinked. The level is good and oil pressure is 5. Pulled the wire on the pan no change, grounded the wire no change. So disconnected the battery and after it would not blink. So now it is intermittent, crank up and it will blink the whole time, next start up no blinking! So I guess the Oil Level Control Unit is the issue. So where is it in the car, I can not find a reference to where it is?
Old 06-29-2022, 02:10 AM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 155 Posts

Congrats on your recent acquisition! You may want to take a look at the oil pressure sending unit, which can be found screwed into the oil cooler housing (located in front of the passenger side motor mount). There are two wires that attach to the sender; start out by inspecting them for damage/loose connections. Your problem may lay with the unit itself (if it's the original sensor) or anywhere along the electric circuit, up into potentially the instrument cluster gauge. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2022, 07:18 AM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

The oil level control unit is bolted to the firewall on the interior of the vehicle. It's behind the Speedo/tach/warning light gauge cluster. You'll see it when you remove those guages.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:35 AM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 329 Posts

I've never owned anything newer than an early 85 but I do have several of the later oil pans with the insert/bung on the side for an oil level sensor. Which gets me to wondering. The oil pressure sending unit on the oil cooler console on the early cars has 2 electrical connections. One is a linear resistance based on oil pressure and the other is an on/off resistance based on some low (but not zero) oil pressure setpoint. These would communicate with the oil pressure gauge on the dash and the oil pressure light, respectively. What/how did Porsche set up the signal from the oil level sensor to communicate to the driver? Does it by any chance cause the oil pressure light to blink?
Old 06-29-2022, 10:31 AM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 251 Posts

Check the oil level sender on the oil pan. May need to be replaced and sending faulty signal to the dash.

Flashing oil light (I believe) is indicating low oil level. Nothing to do with the oil pressure.
The following users liked this post:
harveyf (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 02:47 PM
DHS928
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

So it has an oil PRESSURE sending unit that has two post, one for the low pressure light and one for the oil pressure gauge. The oil LEVEL sender is on the side of the pan, it sends a wire to the Oil Level Control Unit (OLCU )and it uses the oil pressure light to show a low level by blinking. So it is independent from the pressure gauge/sending unit. I pulled the wire off the pan and it blinked, grounded that wire and it blinked, then after disconnecting the battery to work on the rear lights the light started blinking intermittently after cranking. Once it start it does so until I turn the car off and them might not do it the next time started! That is why I think the problem is in the OLCU.

Quick Reply: Blinking oil light