Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part out possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2022, 07:37 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Part out possibility?

Their is an 85.5 close to me for sale cheap..

FOES is within service range, with receipts.. Was a recent driver.. Dash says 9x,xxx miles..
Rubber center clutch went out.. Supposedly was in good driver condition..

Car is very stock, not much aftermarket anything..
Black script interior in pretty good shape other than the drivers seat top bolster, power seats..
Dash has small cracks. Both front fenders and hood have small dings..
Good clean doors. Nice carpets I might keep..

Has decently valuable wheels.. Fikes 3 piece, quite wide..
All 4 alu control arms.. (early offset?)
Hatch is pretty decent, typical slight separation..

Everything about the car would be a good candidate to save except the body is a RUST BUCKET!!
Rear wheel arches falling apart.. Rockers have bad spots..

So what’s a good 944 engine worth that’s days? Trans?

I can use some small things myself, maybe keep the wheels, maybe sell..
Old 06-26-2022, 11:05 AM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

There are so many of these cars being parted out now that the market is flooded with cheap parts. Especially crappy parts. Nothing on these car are worth anything unless they are immaculate. Reason is the only ones putting any money into their cars don't want to replace a 30K mile part with a 90K mile part.

For a rust bucket, you might get a couple grand out of parts but the time it takes to part out a car (and the inevitable garage full of parts you can't sell) just doesn't make it worth it anymore because everyone else is doing it too. Now a few years ago before the market started getting hot, these cars were worth more in parts than as a whole but times have changed. The market has flipped.

To answer your question though, an NA engine with 90K miles may get you $300-400. A trans maybe a few hundred more (unless it's an LSD trans). The wheels would be the most valuable thing on the car. And if you're keeping them then the rest of the car won't pay for itself. Because if the body is rotted, the entire suspension and everything under the car (worth the most money) is also rotted. Then you're left with interior parts which again, the market is flooded with. Totally up to you if you want to get yourself into that but as someone who has parted out numerous cars over the years, it's not as easy and glorious as it sounds.
The following users liked this post:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (06-27-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 01:33 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 345 Likes on 274 Posts

Keep your powder dry.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:57 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought the engine world be worth more especially considering it’s still within its 3 years of belt..
Old 06-26-2022, 06:44 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 207 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddie313
I thought the engine world be worth more especially considering it’s still within its 3 years of belt..
Perhaps it's worth a bit more, but not much, as this one won't have rusty bits.. (Clean example for $750)

https://plyhammersparts.com/collecti...ngine-complete

Old 06-27-2022, 08:17 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

$500 is a strong price for a running NA engine.
problem is there really isn't much of a market for parts - youd be sitting on stuff forever these days. i have trashed hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of 944 parts over the last 4 years because i couldn't even give them away.

body is scrap, suspension is scrap.
brake calipers worth saving.

you might get $250 for the trans if low miles.
torque tube scrap or give it away with the trans to the buyer. nobody buys torque tubes.

interior sounds like its worth keeping.

hatch is probably trash unless YOU want a spare. no one buys hatches and you can't ship em.
The following users liked this post:
944Fest (aka Dan P) (06-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Part out possibility?