Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good 944 mechanic in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the price. I think its about 5 labor hours. Figure what $200 for the water pump (means $350 at the dealer), another $150 for the belts (dealer) include upper and lower hoses, all rollers, thermostat, coolant, tax and shop supplies adds to $1800 easy. Hell I quote timing belts for Hondas and Toyotas at $500-$700 and that is at $84.00 per hour labor, not $125/hour at Porsche shop.

Seriously, if you want to drive to Spring in two weeks we could do yours. You still have time to order the parts from paragon, or zims.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Red1
Are we getting hookers on the 16th? Right on!
Um..... No.

They come with the dealer service (hey, you are getting screwed, right?).

We're do it yourselfers. I don't even want to go there.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:54 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Says you. A decent hooker would at least give me a frequent flyer discount by now.

For the record, Pro Technik had my car for 10 weeks at one stretch. Patience is the order of the day with them. They're not bashful about rates either.

Terry Lawell at Lawell Motorsports is just off Richmond, inside the west loop. He's pretty good, very reasonable rates.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Geo
Race Director

I may be out on the 16th. Let's hope not. Last weekend was almost all rain. No welding on the cage. This weekend they are predicting rain. If so, no welding on the cage.

Well, you get the picture. If it keeps raining all weekend, and the 16th is the first non-rain weekend day, I'll have to get the cage welded. My welder (next door neighbor) is only available on weekends.

I doubt this will be a problem, but just want to put that out there.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:59 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

All this talk of hookers and auto repair has me thinking....

We need a shop, in a secluded area, it would HAVE to be heated (for the girls 'techs' in the winter). I think we could make a couple a bucks?
Old 04-30-2004, 01:03 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Kevin Baker
All this talk of hookers and auto repair has me thinking....

We need a shop, in a secluded area, it would HAVE to be heated (for the girls 'techs' in the winter). I think we could make a couple a bucks?
Actually, I have one in mind.

There is one reasonably near me (actually about half way between my house an your shop Kevin) that is for sale. It's an OK metal building for sale on a small lot.

I've been meaning to check on the price. Can't be much unless they are delusional. If the price is reasonable, I'm seriously going to look into it when I get to working again.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:05 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

There it is. The American Dream! George, what shall we name the business? And who will do the interviewing? Where are we going to find prospective employees? What qualifications will we want? These are ALL important questions that need to be addressed.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:07 AM
mikl1976
Racer

i would be willing to do metal work and fiberglasing
Old 04-30-2004, 01:07 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Geo
My welder (next door neighbor) is only available on weekends.
Given your, um, availability, I was wondering how your weekends figured so much into that equation.

We'll get something sorted out.

I've got a lot I've got to get done quickly. I've pissed away most of this spring, and I've got plans:

http://www.texasmile.com/

Just for sh*ts and giggles.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:11 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

If I can get the time off, I'd be happy to "crew" for you.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:16 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll be taking time off beforehand to make sure we're ready. I've got goodies to install, and it's going to take some dyno work.

I'm going with an eclectic group of friends. One will run a well-modded WRX, and one will run a sick stroker T/A. My goal for the day is to be the fastest 4 cyl car. A guy has to have goals, right?
Old 04-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Kevin Baker
There it is. The American Dream! George, what shall we name the business? And who will do the interviewing? Where are we going to find prospective employees? What qualifications will we want? These are ALL important questions that need to be addressed.
Hehe.

My immediate plan is to get my cars out of my garage and driveway and have room to work on them. If I were to get the building, I'd absolutely be installing a lift. It already has a huge compressor (it's being used by a body shop).

My secondary plans would be to have a place to do more advanced work for NISsport.

But, this is all premature. They could want some stupid amount for this cheap building on a scruffy small plot of land. Or they could be trying to sell the business that isn't even advertised outside. More ways for this to go bad, but I have some time to do some research.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys suck, doing this now! George, let me know if you plan to make a go of it. There are very few things I would quit my good job for and you nailed one.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Matt H
You guys suck, doing this now! George, let me know if you plan to make a go of it. There are very few things I would quit my good job for and you nailed one.
Well, don't worry..... This is far from a done deal. The person selling the building may have delusions and want a stupid amount for the building. It's not worth a lot.

As for NISsport, it's going to remain part-time for a while unless crazy things happen. It would at least give me a place to build cages and do some race prep stuff as well as maybe a little over the counter retail. Mostly I'm looking for it for a place to do my own work and get my cars out of my garage and driveway. And to have a lift.

But, until I'm working again I won't be taking out any loans to buy it, even if the price is right.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, dont get me wrong I am not in a position to quit and move right now either. It will be a few more years. Brian and I had talked about our own shop though. I still think it is a good idea, just not sure on the timing. I have always wanted my own but I think I am a good 7 years off from that right now.

Quick Reply: Good 944 mechanic in Houston?