Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: a moment of silence.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 02:02 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

As a "more-than-fairly-compensated" Union worker, I probably shouldn't say this but I believe that the big 3 can never be competitive with the imports as long as they are slaves to the UAW. They are forced to pay huge premium salaries for what amounts to be mediocre labor. Labor is a large percentage in the manufacturer's cost. It is the American dream that is killing a backbone American industry...that will kill the American dream for many!

I'm not sure how the quality "raters" get around this, but I think brand loyalty and market level play a factor in customer satisfaction with vehicles. Ford employees won't bash their new Ford to people surveying problems. Ford truck buyers love Ford trucks and expect a few niggles would they dare bash their beloved? Folks who buy german cars expect perfection. I know of a new 911 driver who complained because his watch vibrated slightly on his wrist at the 12 O'clock position on the wheel at 75mph. It is a VERY discriminating bunch who buy BMWs and Porsches vs. those who are content with the upgrades offered in the new, improved Cavalier (yea, I know.. they renamed it) Dealer Service plays such a HUGE roll I can't overstate it. Lexus buyers are coddled and kissed up too. If your Lex has a problem, they just about rub your feet while it gets fixed (OK, bring a newer loaner to your house for a swap while we fix yours)..who's going to complain about a silly noise when they are so eager to fix it? Statistics can never be trusted. I'm an import loyalist and I feel the domestics as we knew them are dying fast.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:58 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had a cutlass once.....once.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:53 PM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Geo
I sure hope you didn't say in your paper that these things are beyonds GM's control.

OK, I'll buy the retiree issue is currently beyond their control, but they made their bed. Furthermore, the big three have been trying for decades to do more with less labor. The issue of factories is TOTALLY within their control.
No, I didn't include that in my paper.

The big three could build new factories, but that costs money, money that the big three currently doesn't have.

Yes, the Big Three have been trying for decades to change their ways. My twenty year old sources describe problems that the big three still haven't fixed after twenty years of trying.

Quick Reply: OT: a moment of silence.