Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reskin Roof..

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 01:11 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Reskin Roof..

What do you know about options about ways to go about reskinning a roof with a stock panel, sunroof delete panel, fiberglass panel, carbon fiber panel, whatever..

And how to go about installing any of these options..

if your top was dented how would YOU go about fixing it?

Bodywork is one of my weak points..
Are any of these options more or less difficult? Take more or less experience/skill?

Can a skin be pulled from a parts car?

Last edited by fasteddie313; 06-18-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:55 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Really depends on the cars purpose… if it were a track car and caged out I would do a fiberglass panel. If it’s a street car I would cut a roof off a good donor and weld it on. Also depends on the size of the dent as well. Generally especially if it’s not a structural area and just sheet metal area I would patch it, you will have some filler generally no matter which you do.

metal you will have to cut out, tack weld replacement in place (move the welds around, not next to each other as it can warp if you do the same spot back to back), grind welds, skim coat of body filler, sand and paint.

if doing fiberglass I would cut it out leaving a 2-3inch lip to lay under the panel and then use a 3M Non-Sag structural adhesive to bond the roof to bare metal. Once cured then I would sand, body fill, sand again and paint.

Last edited by CyCloNe!; 06-19-2022 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:48 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What do you mean by patch it?

I’ve actually got almost all of the dents out and have it all straightened back up as far as the sunroof hole height..
I think I’m going to try to smooth the rest of it out with body filler first and see if that will come satisfactory..

Why not fiberglass for a street car?
I saw those and that looked about like the easiest option..
Old 06-20-2022, 08:59 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

968 Gene did this (replaced the metal skin with another non-sunroof skin) to eliminate the sunroof. A lot of drilling with a special drill bit, then a lot spot welding to make that swap is my understanding.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:20 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddie313
What do you mean by patch it?

I’ve actually got almost all of the dents out and have it all straightened back up as far as the sunroof hole height..
I think I’m going to try to smooth the rest of it out with body filler first and see if that will come satisfactory..

Why not fiberglass for a street car?
I saw those and that looked about like the easiest option..
Patch it I mean a piece of sheet metal from a donor car and weld it in. You can use fiberglass on a street car if you want just with it being the roof I would think metal would be better in an accident but if your not removing any of the structural support the glass would be fine overall. Just bond the fiberglass to bare steel with the 3m non-sag structural adhesive. It’s a 2 part adhesive that uses a special caulk gun with 2 chambers instead of 1. If you decide this route let me know and I can show you what stuff. It’s about $250-300 for the gun and adhesive last I looked

Quick Reply: Reskin Roof..