Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944S2 driveline whine noise at speed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022 | 03:58 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Millermatic- I suspect my ring and pinion are headed out on my 1990 S2, but I am wondering if you could describe what you felt in your shifter (vibration? Rpm’s? Etc.). T might help me diagnose my problems.
Old 06-08-2022 | 02:35 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ElRicardo
Millermatic- I suspect my ring and pinion are headed out on my 1990 S2, but I am wondering if you could describe what you felt in your shifter (vibration? Rpm’s? Etc.). T might help me diagnose my problems.
The most obvious issue was the noise. It was uncomfortably loud in the car above about 55mph or so. Totally speed dependent - not gear or RPM dependent. I could feel a vibration at the same "frequency" of the sound if I placed my hand on the shifter. Not really intense... but notably different than at lower speeds.

Hope that helps.

For what it's worth... new ones are available from Porsche... but they sure aren't cheap.
Old 06-09-2022 | 08:31 AM
SecaBlue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Millermatic
The most obvious issue was the noise. It was uncomfortably loud in the car above about 55mph or so. Totally speed dependent - not gear or RPM dependent. I could feel a vibration at the same "frequency" of the sound if I placed my hand on the shifter. Not really intense... but notably different than at lower speeds.

Hope that helps.

For what it's worth... new ones are available from Porsche... but they sure aren't cheap.
Great info! Would you be happy to share what it cost you to replace the pinion and ring? I see here in Europe I can potentially get the set for approx 1000- Euro delivered. But installation cost is another factor I would have no clue about (labour hours, other parts, etc). Thanks!
Old 06-09-2022 | 11:43 AM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

1000 Euro's isn't far off what I paid (about $1200 as I recall - which included expedited shipping).

But... that was on top of getting the transaxle rebuilt. That was about $2500 for labor and all new bearings, synchros and seals. Plus shipping ($200-ish for "freight" in the US).

And... if you are going through all of that trouble... you might as well get some "super bearings" and have your TT rebuilt. And your clutch... And your pilot bearing and rear seal. And your transmission mount... And CVs...

But at least my drivetrain is... basically new now!
Old 06-09-2022 | 02:17 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

My go to suggestions for all noises-
1. Get someone else to drive. Start by listening from the passenger seat. Then put yourself in the trunk area and move around there to listen.
2. Get some long tubing/hose. This will take some time but basically you are going to duct tape the end of the hose at those locations where you think the noise is coming from. Transaxle. Left rear hub. Right rear hub. Etc. You are using the hose as a stethescope. You may be surprised at what you find. I had a noise that I swore was in the transaxle that actually was loudest on the right rear hub.
Old 06-10-2022 | 06:43 AM
SecaBlue
Rennlist Member

1000 Euro's isn't far off what I paid (about $1200 as I recall - which included expedited shipping).

But... that was on top of getting the transaxle rebuilt. That was about $2500 for labor and all new bearings, synchros and seals. Plus shipping ($200-ish for "freight" in the US).

And... if you are going through all of that trouble... you might as well get some "super bearings" and have your TT rebuilt. And your clutch... And your pilot bearing and rear seal. And your transmission mount... And CVs...

But at least my drivetrain is... basically new now!
LOL... well I don't think I have that much wrong with mine I already replaced both drive shafts with new CV's each end of both, and the transmission feels very good - just slight synchro issue going into 2nd when cold, but solve that with some double clutching until warm, and then all gears are silky smooth. Clutch also fine apart from the spring squeaking sometimes :P

Onwards with the investigation
Old 07-01-2022 | 06:51 AM
SecaBlue
Rennlist Member

Hope that helps.

Thought I would share an update...

Now have new tyres all round, so that is one variable eliminated. Checked all wheel bearings at the same time... all good. The new drive shafts and CVs all still look good, so no issue there.

I have driven more to try to identify the source, and during a drive I did notice that the gear **** started to vibrate as I went above 105km/h (indicated)... but then went away again. It is a resonance type of vibration, bobbing up and down a few mm... also noticed this in other gears right around 3000-3200 rpm, so this is not related to the whining noise that this thread is about, but from research, most likely the TT bearing, clutch, or just a simple gear shift linkage rubber. My balance shaft belts were done 4yrs/8000km ago, and also new RS engine mount 3yrs ago. So another symptom to investigate :P

So in response to the symptom you were experiencing with feeling the gear shift with your whine, I don't have any related feeling similar to what you describe. But it seems a new TT bearing or something between the engine and gearbox is not happy at approx 3000rpm in any gear.
Old 07-04-2022 | 09:56 AM
SecaBlue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SecaBlue
Thought I would share an update...

Now have new tyres all round, so that is one variable eliminated. Checked all wheel bearings at the same time... all good. The new drive shafts and CVs all still look good, so no issue there.

I have driven more to try to identify the source, and during a drive I did notice that the gear **** started to vibrate as I went above 105km/h (indicated)... but then went away again. It is a resonance type of vibration, bobbing up and down a few mm... also noticed this in other gears right around 3000-3200 rpm, so this is not related to the whining noise that this thread is about, but from research, most likely the TT bearing, clutch, or just a simple gear shift linkage rubber. My balance shaft belts were done 4yrs/8000km ago, and also new RS engine mount 3yrs ago. So another symptom to investigate :P

So in response to the symptom you were experiencing with feeling the gear shift with your whine, I don't have any related feeling similar to what you describe. But it seems a new TT bearing or something between the engine and gearbox is not happy at approx 3000rpm in any gear.
As I could not update my post, I wanted to add this:

The vibration in the gear shift is actually 2600-2800rpm only. Not 3000-3200rpm.
Old 09-06-2022 | 10:05 AM
SecaBlue
Rennlist Member

An update. After a few hours of diagnosis, it turned out to be the front right wheel bearing going bad. Replaced with genuine and no noise now
The following users liked this post:
Qtrfoil (07-02-2023)
Old 09-09-2022 | 11:36 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

What about the vibration- did that go away as well?
Old 09-11-2022 | 06:51 AM
SecaBlue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ElRicardo
What about the vibration- did that go away as well?
There is still a vibration in the shifter only. Still just between 2600 and 2800 rpm, varying in intensity depending on what gear. No noise present with the vibration.

I am guessing it is the shift connection dampener, but yet to replace this - Winter project :P
Old 07-02-2023 | 11:07 AM
Gustavo-BR
Track Day

Last edited by Gustavo-BR; 07-03-2023 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-02-2023 | 02:39 PM
Qtrfoil
Instructor

Last edited by Qtrfoil; 07-02-2023 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: 944S2 driveline whine noise at speed.