Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need A Stereo!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004 | 08:33 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Lightbulb I Need A Stereo!!!

HELP! Alrighty, I have HAD IT! I have tried to obtain a decent stereo over the past year, and today took the cake.

I went to Fry's, and purchased the Blaupunkt Phoenix, which plays MP3s, for my car (retail was normally $150; got it for $120). Free install, so I went and spoke with them.

I was informed that that was one of the WORST ever made, had power issues - and the worst - it would take sometimes up to 5 MINUTES to load!!!

Took it back.

So, I am just sick of this. Anyone have a decent CD player, sitting in a box, slightly used, used, I don't care, as long as it works!

I'll just install the bugger myself. I purchased a new antenna, forget the motor. I can unscrew this one, and save the grief of kids making crack pipes out of it - yeah, what happened to the other one.

- Julie
Old 04-28-2004 | 08:45 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

So, if any of you can help, or point me in the direction of an inexpensive stereo, preferably with MP3 if new, let me know.

I ran through the little stereo shops, and they would give me triple the price to do my car, than was listed when they found out she was a Porsche! GRRRR

- Julie
Old 04-28-2004 | 09:58 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Default Kenwood...

Kenwood works well for me as a an MP3 player. About three years ago, my Blaupunkt system had problems and I ended up deleting the EQ and cd changer and getting a Kenwood deck that plays MP3s well. Sorry, can't remember specific model number. I'm told they were one of the first to do MP3 in car stereos and they do perform well.

Loading times for MP3 cds is under ten seconds. Navigation between folders and files is good. Cost in 2000 was around $210.

Oh, I installed it myself. The wiring was simple. The only trick was to remember to hook up the factory signal booster as my in-glass antenna needs it. (For your antenna, maybe see if extending the antenna and then disconnecting power to the antenna motor works? Worked on my Honda...)

The cassette insert my an old Honda fit the EQ slot nicely.

Bryan
Old 04-28-2004 | 10:34 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

PM me your name & address and i will send you my factory blaupunct with casette from my 89 S2.

then send me a check for shipping (say $10 max, or actual if less) after you get it installed.
Old 04-28-2004 | 11:04 AM
elf89
Pro

Hi Julie,

I have a JVC AM/FM/Cassette you can have, but it doesn't have a CD player. It's 8 or 9 years old, but it worked when I took it out of my Civic. The CD I replaced it with is a piece of junk too so I'm mainly a radio guy. Seeya,

Eric
Old 04-28-2004 | 11:21 AM
azmi951
Drifting

I had a Cotco specal Blaupunkt in one of my other cars and just threw it into the 944, by far the easiest sterio install ever. I think retail on it was about $160 3 years ago. Check ebay I'm sure you can find something.
Old 04-28-2004 | 11:34 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

I got my JVC MP3 car stereo for $240cdn about 2 years ago. (so it would be really cheap today!) I love it and I have no desire to upgrade. The faceplate is very straight forward, with a **** for volume (not buttons! blech) and it plays mp3's quickly, NEVER skips, and straight forward folder navigation. You just make a CD with whatever folders you want, drop your mp3's in them, and go.

My model (SX980) is out of production, but I prefer it's design to that of it's replacement.

I installed it myself and it was EASY. I used wire strippers and proper compression clips to mate the wires, but it can be done with scissors and electrical tape too.

Old 04-28-2004 | 03:07 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Lightbulb Cassettes and MP3s

Thank you all for offers of Cassette players, but I have two of those in the hatch! One's a Blaupunkt, the other a slide out Sony...and I mean the WHOLE thing slides out for security, ewwww!

As for the antenna, it was all bunched up, 8 inches above the fender - they got the lower and the upper parts of the antenna in one fell swoop.

Fortunately, I saw the day the crack dealers were busted in the complex (geeee, maybe they were too obvious, and the smokers kept destroying stuff?). Gone for good!

As for the CD and MP3 players, more go on sale today, so I will look at those.

I think I will quit saying what kind of car I have, and just say it's a VW or a Celica!

Noooo, I don't need 500 watts of power, or anything like that, okay? 200 W do me just fine...besides, it's only what is going through when turned up all the way!

Most people run their cars at 75 Watts, or they go deaf, lol.

- Julie
Old 04-28-2004 | 03:14 PM
Strictly Gravy
Intermediate

As far as saying a VW, i wouldnt. VW's are notoriously known for being a PITA to install stereos into. They either have a floating ground for the speakers and the stereo, or have some sort of upgrade package that VW touts as awesome, but is a complete piece of shiite(ie monsoon or aktiv). Say you have a honda, easiest stereo install ever

-Greg
Old 04-28-2004 | 03:16 PM
daniel951
Race Car

just check ebay or www.onlinecarstereo.com They are usually pretty decent prices To bad i didn't see this earlier because i had a nice newer JVC that i just sold in the box for $60. But i still have a 10 disc cd changer sitting at home
Old 04-28-2004 | 03:28 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Tom,

I am very interested in the stock radio from your 89...the PO took the radio out of mine so I have nothing! I'll PM you...
Old 04-28-2004 | 03:31 PM
visualpascal
Advanced

I know you said you have two tape decks, but I've got a 3/4 way decent sony tape deck lying around. You could probably pick up an mp3 cd changer for around what you're looking to spend, and this could control it.

Also, little info tidbit, the wiring harness for this Sony is the same as the one for the aiwa that replaced. (The aiwa has an stereo input jack on the front, wheee minidisc player.) Also, get a minidisc player instead....they're neato.

--Chris

Sorry for the lack of cohesion, I just got up, and apparently drank more than I thought last night.
Old 04-28-2004 | 03:35 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

I got a Blau Monterey single CD head unit I pulled out of my car about three years ago. Detach face. $35 and anyone can have it. All black front. Looks stock. It worked when I pulled it out but its been on the top shelf in the closet ever since.
Old 04-28-2004 | 04:12 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Check out eBay for models and prices. Just don't buy from them unless you feel secure about the deal. I got a cheap Kenwood cassette unit a few years ago and have had no issues. I also recomend getting new speakers as the ones in the doors go to heck really fast.

Also check out Pep Boys. Yes Pep Boys. They have the off brand stuff for really cheap. Hey! It works and nobody wants to steal it!

I have some time in the mornings so You could swing by for an install. Just bring a couple of bottles of diet Shasta cola. Three liters for 99 cents and the 99 cents stores.
Old 04-28-2004 | 04:29 PM
Bhj0887
Pro

Pioneer is the way to go. I've used Pioneers in all of my cars except one...it was a Sony and I hated it. They're reasonable and almost all of them sound great. I can't remember what model I have but it cost me $140. You can buy them all over and they're pretty simple to install, even though I get crappy radio reception, I don't think it's because of the deck itself. I didn't know how to hook up the booster or what color wires they were so I just didn't.

Quick Reply: I Need A Stereo!!!