Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking lights won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 10:57 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking lights won't turn off

So I got to work today and when I got out of my car I noticed that the parking lights were still on. I usualy drive with them on since I've yet to wire up daytime running lights, and that's the next best thing. Fiddling with the switched did nothing at all, so I ended up pulling the fuses to keep them off.

Is this a semi-common problem that has an easy fix? It is very possible that I need to recheck the wireing I put in for my electric locks since they are wired up to flash the parking lights. I'll do that tonight, but thought I'd see if there is something else I should look at too. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:18 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you leave your turn signal on, with the ign off, it'll leave the parking lights on. Check your turn signal lever.
The following users liked this post:
sams_6 (03-30-2021)
Old 04-27-2004, 11:30 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

I did that, no dice. When you leave the signal on, only one side stays on. Both sides were still on in my car. I toggled the signal, the headlight switch, the parking light switch, then started the car and did it all again. They still stayed on after that.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:14 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Seen a bad emergency flasher relay do this. Think the regular flasher and the emergency are one and the same. Maybe not.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Mouthpiece
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by slevy951
If you leave your turn signal on, with the ign off, it'll leave the parking lights on. Check your turn signal lever.
Why is that? I figured out what the problem was when it happened to me the first time, but I do not understand why Porsche would intentionally wire the car to do that.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:18 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Terry, I think they wire it that way so you can leave the markers on so other cars can see you when you park in a potentialy dangerous/foggy place. It's pretty common on European cars I think. By that I mean european versions of cars.

SoCal, The flashers on the car still work the way they're suppose to, and the side markers still stay on after pulling that relay. I didn't notice a separate emergency flasher relay, but I'll check again when I head home.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a parking light.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:56 AM
skene
Burning Brakes

OK, I found the problem. Not bad porsche wireing related at all either. I installed remote keyless entry, and one of the wires is used to flash the parking lights. Apparently the remote module is crap, and something burned out in it so it now always puts out a high signal to turn on the lights.

Thankfully there's a fuse on that wire, so pulling it fixed the problem in a manner of speaking. I'm either going to live with not having them flash when I lock/unlock the doors or see if I can get it replaced. I've only had it in there for a couple months, so it's pretty ****ty if it burns out that quick.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:34 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Needs a relay in between. Hella makes sealed relays that can be wired in place.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:29 PM
sams_6
4th Gear

Exactly what I had done when I parked it. I turned off the turn signal and the side markers went out. For all these years I never knew about this quirk. Thanks
Old 03-30-2021, 06:07 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

the term is 'standing lamps' for the rest of the world
Old 03-31-2021, 12:49 AM
sams_6
4th Gear

Let me clarify:

Was driving during the daytime using no lights at all. Put on my left turn signal and turned into my driveway and shut off the ignition. When I got out I saw the driver-side side markers were on. I assumed that the passenger side markers were also on but it turns out it was just the driver-side PLUS the parking-light (the extra little driver-side taillight that German cars have). thomasmryan pointed out that these are referred to as 'standing lights' which they are. My Audis have all had them. I didn't know my 944 did though. All you need to do to turn them on is set the left turn signal on when the ignition is off. Learn something new everyday.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:47 AM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 154 Posts

Mercedes (at least used to) run them off two additional positions on the light switch.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:31 PM
sams_6
4th Gear

Default Side markers vs Fog Light

Cars in Germany are required to have Nebelschlussleuchte which translates directly to "fog light". This is usually just a single bright taillight, most often on the driver's side but sometimes in the center of car. The Bavarian code states “Rear fog lights may only be used when, because of fog, visibility is less than 50 meters.”

This light should not be confused with "parking lights" ("standing lights"). It should also not be confused with side markers which exist to provide better visibility to cross-traffic.

The singular rear foglight in the older Audis had a switch that most US owners did not know what it was for. You occasionally see a German car on US roads with the rear fog light illuminated, almost certainly unintentionally.

I didn't know my 944 was equipped with Nebelschlussleuchte because there is no dedicated switch. As I just discovered, it is engaged by turning on the left directional when the car is off. It also happens to illuminate the driver-side side markers.

This raises another question: is the rear foglight intended for use while driving or only when parked? I know Audis and Mercedes can drive with this light illuminated. But I can find no way in my 944 to turn the the this light on when the ignition is on.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:32 PM
jeyjey
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 154 Posts

On my car the fog lights only come on with the fog light switch on and the main beams on. But a lot of the lights wiring is market-specific (my car is UK-spec).

But I don't seem to have standing lights. With the ignition off right or left indicators still blink.
The following users liked this post:
thomasmryan (03-31-2021)

Quick Reply: Parking lights won't turn off