Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted windshield-need advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Fixn2xlr8
Bunny with a Mission
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Busted windshield-need advise

The small chip that I had filled decided to grow into a large crack that continues to grow today. It seems sitting in the sun at my office made it just crack. I could call my insurance company (USAA) which seems to be VERY good and helping my father out with accidents but I really dont want my rates to go up. Is there a source for a used one at a reasonable price or is my best bet to call it in to insurance. It happened about 5 years ago when a bolt flew off a passing truck going the oppisite direction.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:09 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got my windshield replaced for 200 dollars new, installed with lifetime install warrenty. it is the one without the antenna though.... but it does have tint across the top.

it isn't that expensive to replace.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Uh, a windshield claim should not make your insurance rates go up, i am on my 4th windshield in my truck, 2 were replaced 3 months apart, and no change in rates.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Fixn2xlr8
Bunny with a Mission
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally posted by Karl2bdc
Uh, a windshield claim should not make your insurance rates go up, i am on my 4th windshield in my truck, 2 were replaced 3 months apart, and no change in rates.
Ahh, I didnt know that. I havent made a claim in a little over 10 years so its kinda new ground for me. I will call them monday morning I guess.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:10 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

If the windshield is only $200-300, I still wouldn't take the chance of making a claim. I don't trust insurance companies to not touch the rates, especially if you have a claim-free record. I also thought that windshields are subject to the deductable. Most of us have comprehensive deductibles of at least $250 if not $500 I would think.

Heard Safelite had great prices on windshields (www.safelite.com).
Old 04-24-2004, 12:31 PM
ExitWound
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an appointment with Safelife yesterday to have my 1986 944's windshileld. Due to unforeseen consequences* I did not have it installed, but they quoted me $290.43 total. They also quoted me NEXT DAY service!

*The spacers which fall underneath the top and sides of the windshield had been removed by the previous owner's last windshield replacement team, and I didn't have it to fit the new windshield upon. They filled the gaps with silicone instead to make the windshield fit properly. Sad. Now I have to go locate the spacing trim before I can have the new windshield put in.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:33 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many insurance companies are more than happy to pay for minor windshield repairs (ie filling in cracks) before it gets worth and they have to pay for replacement. But this is only true if you have complete coverage and not just liabilities. [I know this, because I have a crack that I need to get fixed....]
Old 04-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on your insurance company and your policy. Talk to them. Cracks larger than .5 inch or so cannot be fixed.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:39 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally posted by brad-cam
If the windshield is only $200-300, I still wouldn't take the chance of making a claim. I don't trust insurance companies to not touch the rates, especially if you have a claim-free record. I also thought that windshields are subject to the deductable. Most of us have comprehensive deductibles of at least $250 if not $500 I would think.

Heard Safelite had great prices on windshields (www.safelite.com).
Most policies have a windshield deductible of 100 dollars. In MN, there was no deductible, insurance replaced for free. I have made a $1500 comprehensive claim due to hail also, and it did not affect my rates either. When you get into accidents that are your fault, then you start seeing rates jump significantly
Old 04-24-2004, 01:31 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Don't know about your insurance situation. I had my windshield replaced by Safelite, $280 plus Porsche part $30, $310 total. Securit OEM tinted with antenna. Had quotes of $1,100 , $758, and $575. Found out about Safelite here on Rennlist and decided that the savings was certainly a good reason to become a member!
Old 04-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know, but given a choice I prefer to leave insurance companies out of everything - including accidents if I think I can fix it myself. They're out to make money and personally I see no need to give them any more of mine than our enlightened lawmakers say I have to. Other than that, I take care of myself. As far as your rates going up, I'd say you can probably count on it. If an insurance company thought your car was prone to having birds poop on it, they'd find a way to raise your rate as a result.

I'd just find a windshield and have someone put it in, leave the insurance vultures out of it - just my $0.02.
Old 04-24-2004, 02:14 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So what the hell is the point of having insurance if you are not going to make claims? Like i said, i have made quite a few claims and never had my rates go up. I think it is pretty stupid to pay for something, and then feel bad about making a claim against damage that occured. Like i said before, unless it is your fault, your rates probably won't go up much if at all. You can't prevent hail from happening, or a rock from flying up and smoking your windshield, and the insurance companies realize that. If your claims are going up because of a windshield claim, then you need to find a new insurance company. With state farm, i have never had any issues like this. I say this was damaged, they so ok, get it fixed.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:20 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Karl, call me a cynic but the only reason I pay for insurance is:

- It is the law
- Catastrophic coverage - ie. lawsuits, $5000 accident bills, etc.

I leave them out of all the small stuff and just take care of it myself. I don't
trust those crooks a bit.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:29 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Maybe it is because i have a perfect driving record that the insurance companies don't try screwing me over, i think calling them crooks is a bit on the biased side, but i guess you probably get treated differently if you have had accidents that are your fault or a lot of speeding tickets, which makes you a higher risk and your insurance rates should be higher than mine.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:46 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I've actually never had an accident or got a speeding ticket (I know, I'm not trying hard enough ;-) ). Yup, guess I'm just scared of them raising my rates. I've been lucky though, haven't really had any reason to call them other than a broken side window on my SUV (minor vandalism).

Quick Reply: Busted windshield-need advise