Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm looking for 944 N/A power upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Bhj0887

Maybe if you did the 3.0 swap ($$$$$), or bore the 2.5 a little, 12.5 compression pistons, agressive cam, headwork always helps. A 951 trans can help your times maybe.

interesting.
boring out the cylinders?
I was told that would be dangerous.
and with higher compression pistons?

12.5 WOW!!!
how much of a horsepower increase would the compression be?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:00 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...the S and I think S2 are 10.9:1 stock. 12.5 would make pump gas your sworn enemy! Just by bumping the CR alone, I think it's roughly estimated as ~7hp per full compression point.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:10 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by URIN 2ND
Well, it's no secret how to get power from a N/A motor.
Yeah, but there seems to be only one person able to extract any worth talking about for a NA 2.5 944 (Milledge).

But if it's intended for a specific racing class in a certain sanctioning body, it's pointless to even research what power is possible until you know what you're allowed to do to the motor.
I think the point was to look for sources who know their stuff. That leaves Milledge.

If you're just trying to get as much as possible, you could max out somewhere near what a stock 951 would make (close to 200 at the wheels) if money was no object.
Well, if money was no object I imagine he'd be in Formula 1. That said, there is nobody getting that kind of result from a 2.5 NA.

More typically, the basic I/E SCCA runners are getting low-130's to the wheels on basically stock motors. They are allowed a filter, an exhaust, cat delete, and maybe a header system...but that's about it.
Commonly available intakes, headers, and exhausts won't do much of anything for these engines. And you're pretty wide of the mark on output to the wheels (about 10 hp less).

High compression, a ported big valve head and a nice cam would certainly be in order if you want respectable power fro that motor.
Oh, I think he knows that already. Again, I think he's looking for someone with the information on the right stuff and actually knows how to put the right components together..

However...and I'm sure many here will agree...you don't *need* gobs of HP to make the 944 competetive on the track.
Really? Has anyone told you yet that the nitrous is for the car and not the driver?

For one thing you need to know what your competition is. For me to be a consistent winner in SCCA ITS I would need about 190 hp to the wheels. Aint' gonna happen. Spec classes are spec classes and don't factor in. PCA racing? Well, considering he's in Europe, I think we can assume it's not PCA racing. How much power he'll need will depend upon the rest of the class.

Time and time again I hear of N/A 944's hanging with or beating vehicles with considerably more power. This car is all about balance. It can get out of it's own way, has a decent TQ curve, has good roadholding, and excellent handling characteristics.
Well, first of all the torque curve doesn't mean a whole lot since the car will spend most of its time over 4k rpm and probably even over 5k rpm. But as for the rest, again in racing it will all depend upon the competition.

I think to be competitive on a road course, your money may be better spent on a solid suspension, and there's a number of choices to be made there!
Wow. Spoken from experience.

At any rate...expect anywhere from 125 wheel HP (completely stock early 944) all the way up to the 190's wheel HP (completely built with mucho dinero invested, we're talking taking out a 2nd mortgage here). The basic bolt ons should get you between 130 and 140 at the wheels, thereabouts.
Before you become an authority you should get better information.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:11 PM
Geo
Race Director

Well...the S and I think S2 are 10.9:1 stock. 12.5 would make pump gas your sworn enemy! Just by bumping the CR alone, I think it's roughly estimated as ~7hp per full compression point.
More like about 3.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

hmmmmm.
what gas would you pump then?

and if i were to get the S head I would need a set of S pistons as well?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

and wouldnt if you changed compression you need to modify the dme?

and if you got a racing cam with that much compression would the valves get knocked up?

knocked up...heh
Old 04-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

wow.
I just hit my 1000 mark.

THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE FOR YOUR HELP AND ANSWERING THESE QUESTIONS AND THE FREE MEMBERSHIP!!

I really do appreciate it!
Old 04-23-2004, 05:27 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Wow Geo...you're a real a$$hole! And don't let the smiley fool you. I truly mean it! Boy, if your driving ability were half of your ego, look out Schumacher!

More typically, the basic I/E SCCA runners are getting low-130's to the wheels on basically stock motors. They are allowed a filter, an exhaust, cat delete, and maybe a header system...but that's about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commonly available intakes, headers, and exhausts won't do much of anything for these engines. And you're pretty wide of the mark on output to the wheels (about 10 hp less).
I'm pretty wide off the mark? Maybe that's because my mark is based on real-world results, and you're generalizing numbers. M758 and his 944 Spec Racing website is where that number came from, and there are multiple dynos of Spec cars with those exact mods making low-130's.

Another user dynoed his stock '84 a couple weeks ago and posted his 125 WHP.

The higher numbers were based on Anderson's work and conversations I've had with Milledge. If you want to argue their results or opinions, be my guest. You know how to contact them.

So...you're either telling me that their dynos were incorrect...or you were just caught flapping your gums without doing a little legwork yourself.

Most of your comments were equally worthless and/or incorrect. I don't know why you chose to pick apart my post...it's all pretty general and widely known info. I was only trying to help.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:31 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

131.7 WHP...

132 WHP...

133 WHP...

...should I post more, or is your foot wedged deep enough down your throat yet? Just let me know, there's plenty more where those came from.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Anders,

Have you friend write to Jon Milledge. Jon has done extensive brake dyno testing with these engines. He knows which heads flow better than others and I'm pretty sure he know quite well what valve cuts will work best as well as a host of other things, although the valve cuts I'm sure is proprietary information.

He can advise on which cams would work best as well as cam timing. He has done extensive dyno testing with headers and exhausts. He knows exactly how to make power with these engines.

He has a "ITS Organizer" for an SCCA racing class that discusses all aspects of building a car for this class. It 's $100 and may not be worth it for the class your friend is building a car for, but it might be - espcially for the discussion of ideal factory engine components.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Campeck
and wouldnt if you changed compression you need to modify the dme?

and if you got a racing cam with that much compression would the valves get knocked up?

knocked up...heh
Cams don't change compression.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

well.
I mean wouldnt the valves go down deeper and the piston come up more?

and hit?
Old 04-23-2004, 05:53 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

get a 930. Problem solved

Andy
Old 04-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Geo
Race Director

Wow Geo...you're a real a$$hole! And don't let the smiley fool you. I truly mean it!
I'm sure you do. Fortunately I don't give a rat what you think.

Boy, if your driving ability were half of your ego, look out Schumacher!
See above.

I'm pretty wide off the mark? Maybe that's because my mark is based on real-world results, and you're generalizing numbers. M758 and his 944 Spec Racing website is where that number came from, and there are multiple dynos of Spec cars with those exact mods making low-130's.
Yep. You got me on the dyno figures. I've seen them before. My recollection was wrong. I thought they were mostly mid 120s.

The higher numbers were based on Anderson's work and conversations I've had with Milledge. If you want to argue their results or opinions, be my guest. You know how to contact them.
Yeah I do. I've been to Jon's shop at his house and talked with him for a couple of hours.

My memory was incorrect on the dyno stuff. I admit it. I stand by the rest.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Campeck
well.
I mean wouldnt the valves go down deeper and the piston come up more?

and hit?
Compression ratio is a static comparison between the swept+unswept volume of a cyliner and the unswept volume.

What I think you are thinking about it volumetric efficiency which is how well the cylinder is actually filled. Cams do affect this.

Interference between the valves and the piston are another matter.

Quick Reply: I'm looking for 944 N/A power upgrades