Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuzion Tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004 | 09:44 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Default Fuzion Tire

Tifosiman asked about the Fuzion tire on the Turbo board. I dont want this to be any kind of sales promo but I know that at least one RLer has tried them as I talked to him about it through the buying and testing process. I would like to hear (as would others I am sure) your opinions.

Soooo....anyone else try them yet? If so what is your opinion?
Old 04-22-2004 | 10:09 AM
Dave
Race Car

DOH!!! My secret is out!
I've probably got one of the first sets since Tire rack didn't even have the rear size on their site yet when I ordered. The brief answer is that these are great tires for the money for street use. I'm also very impressed with them for use on a wet track (Lime Rock in my case) and dry/cold track (same place, next day). Since the temp never got above normal for the first week of April in Northern CT, I can't give an opinion or what would happen on the track then fully up to temp.
AutoX OTOH, didn't seem to be the best place for these tires. Nice spring weather in a parking lot I've been running on for 3 years, I couldn't find these tires "sweet spot," no matter how much I backed off I still was over-driving the tires. At the end of the day they were gummed up like a set of Hoosiers from the rear of a modded 930! the edges of the tread blocks were pretty jagged, too.
For reference, I'm coming from a set of RE-730s that I was very happy with. 2.5 seasons of autoX and a few DE days (and some street use, too) had worn the backs down to the wear bars and distroyed the fronts. The Fuzions are much better than the worn RE-730s on the street and probably better on the track as well but the RE-730s were much better for autoX (even worn out and with a million heat cycles). If I were employed I would have just gone for a set of RE-750s or S03s, but with my current lack of income the Fuzions became something to consider.
Are they as good as a new set of RE-750s? I doubt it, but they're not the same price, they're priced at the Kuhmo level. How do they compare to Kuhmos? The only Kuhmo's I've tried are Ecsta V700s which are R-compounds (purchased shaved) and are more expensive, I'm guessing they're in the ballpark with Kuhmo's street tires though.
Would I buy them again? Yes, but I hope not! If I find myself shopping for a tire at this price point again, they will be at the top of my list, but I'd rather be shopping a little further upscale.

Last edited by Dave; 04-22-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2004 | 01:43 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That was me that asked about them.
I saw them at the local ricer shop while I was having a tire mounted. They look nice and the price is really good.
I still plan on RE-750's but if money gets tight I may try these out.
Old 04-22-2004 | 02:26 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hrmm, these may be the next tires that I buy, if when I need them they make the size I need. Are there more sizes than what's available on Tire Rack? Anyone know if there are plans for a 285/30/18?
Old 04-22-2004 | 02:34 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Dave:
Perhaps they need to be worn in a little more to be effective at autocross...
Maybe you'll see a difference at Saturday's autox...
-Z.
Old 04-22-2004 | 02:37 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

How do they compare to the Yokohama AVS MES 100's?
~Eyal
Old 04-22-2004 | 02:49 PM
Dave
Race Car

Originally posted by Z-man
Dave:
Perhaps they need to be worn in a little more to be effective at autocross...
Maybe you'll see a difference at Saturday's autox...
-Z.
I'm sure I'll see a difference, I'll be on the R-compounds!

You'd think that they'd be worn in after LRP, or do you have to spin for that? I think they might be better shaved, there's just too much tread and all that flex is probably the issue. For my purposes, they were intended to be street tires, they're just fine. I have other tires for autox that I should be using (pick an excuse; I was lazy last week/thought it would be too cold for the Rs/only the first event of the year-not pushing that hard/wanted to see how the Fuzions worked/all of the above).

Eyal, Don't know, never tried 'em.
Old 04-22-2004 | 02:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Epic, the widest I show is a 265/35/18. I dont know what TR shows.

Eyal, as to comparison, you would have to find someone who tried both, since they have only been out a few weeks I dont know of anyone like that.

Quick Reply: Fuzion Tire