Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im Bummed !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2022, 09:26 PM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Im Bummed !!

Ok got to point to start the car today and the starter I had reworked spins but does not engage the flywheel. AAAARRRRGGGG. I went over the pos and neg leads and used a bump switch at the starter terminals. Ill try a alternate battery tomorrow just to make sure Im being deceived but darn I was looking forward to hearing things run. I had the starter rebuilt by a shop I always use but the solenoid was clocked wrong or at least I thought was once I got it back I could not get the leads on without some unusual rework. So I had them turn it one turn. Bolted it on and no go. I need to do some fact checking before I call. Anybody have a pic of the their starter from the back side just make sure Im rt on my end.

Thanks Brad

Last edited by Gasngo; 02-27-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:58 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Often times.auto part stores will test starters. You may want to call around and see if any stores locally still test them. If the starter is inop after testing, speak with the shop that rebuilt it and go from there.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:55 AM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasngo
Ok got to point to start the car today and the starter I had reworked spins but does not engage the flywheel. AAAARRRRGGGG. I went over the pos and neg leads and used a bump switch at the starter terminals. Ill try a alternate battery tomorrow just to make sure Im being deceived but darn I was looking forward to hearing things run. I had the starter rebuilt by a shop I always use but the solenoid was clocked wrong or at least I thought was once I got it back I could not get the leads on without some unusual rework. So I had them turn it one turn. Bolted it on and no go. I need to do some fact checking before I call. Anybody have a pic of the their starter from the back side just make sure Im rt on my end.

Thanks Brad
Brad,
Sorry to hear of the challenges...

Here is a pic of the wiring...

Old 02-28-2022, 01:42 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi, really do not know the history of the car you are working on. If this is a recent purchase and you have never heard it run there is another possibility. A broken timing belt will sound like a starter bendix not working.
I truly hope I am far off with this suggestion. I hope you just bought a crappy starter!
Old 03-01-2022, 10:58 AM
Gasngo
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the input and thanks for the pic Rick. When I got the car it had been sitting. That would be the reason for the fuel tank and sender repairs threads. When I first check the car out we cranked it with a shot of carb cleaner in the intake and it fired off. Ive done a quick inspection of the timing belt which had been done by the previous owner. Im pretty satisfied its done rt but Ill do a solid review of the work. The starter was quirky to begin with so thats the reason for the rebuild. In all reality I could have bought one for about the same price as the repair I just figured my guys would make it rt and its a Bosch unit. Ill take it out today and drop it off for a follow up. I need to make sure everything else is right. The ignition switch feels like you are turning the key in thick mud but thats a later fix. I bypassed that and still no difference.

Quick Reply: Im Bummed !!