Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball-Joint Blues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 01:53 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travis, you gotta slow down on these new products. My wallet can't keep up with you.

I have your balljoint kit and will be installing it soon. My car will also be lowered a small amount. Do I need your whole new kit or is this just a part I could add to the kit I have?
Old 04-22-2004, 04:47 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Okay... The story behind these babies:

The car had 100k on it when I bought it...
It was stolen around 1996 and some kids took it out for a joy-ride... Guess the owner didn't set the alarm.

It looks like they got sideways into a curb on the driver's side. Some body damage to the quarter panel and right under the driver's door. The engine carrier that the turbo sits on was cracked in half and the oil pan had a large chunk missing from a couple of its fins. The rear trailing arm seems to be bent as well...

The ball that got bent pictured above, came from the driver's side I think... Thus the damage. The other ball was straight.

The car's ride height is stock... but the A-arms show signs of excessive travel. It looks like they were trying to pop out of the A-arm sockets the whole time they were in there. Both A-arm collars are cracked/bent on the top (like the one pictured).
Old 04-22-2004, 09:22 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Anyone have a pair in rebuildable shape they don't need?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:24 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Did. Sold them. Have a set of aluminum trailing arms.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 944pete
Travis, you gotta slow down on these new products. My wallet can't keep up with you.

I have your balljoint kit and will be installing it soon. My car will also be lowered a small amount. Do I need your whole new kit or is this just a part I could add to the kit I have?
I was waiting for that question. We have some different ball cups to go with the new corrected ball pins so if sold for installation in a previously purchased kit they will be coupled together as an "upgrade" package. I am still kicking the details around in my mind and will think about how its all going to be setup this weekend. If anyone has any questions about them I am going to be at Hershey. You can track me down and ask away. They should be setup for sale on Monday/Tuesday. As with everything , we will have a 24 hour sale to bring them out.

Now on to the question of "If I need them." They are ONLY for use on cars that have been lowered (via the springs or coilover adjustment) from 1" to 2". If you put them on a stock suspension car then they will not help anything.
They were produced around the ride hight associated with the Weltmiester lowered springs. with those springs on the car it will bring the arms back parallel in relation to the rest of the car. This will give you back full movement without binding on the ball joint again.

Quick Reply: Ball-Joint Blues