Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Info on hatch separation. Is mine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 03:06 PM
z3bra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on hatch separation. Is mine?

Just noticed after taking the car of stands yesterday to replace the exhaust hanger rubber pieces that on the drivers side at the front edge of the hatch, the metal surround was in front of the glass. I tried carefully to pry it back over (don't want to break the glass of course). It worked but after driving it a little it's back like it was.

Is this symptomatic of hatch separation? It only slightly leaks after testing it but I'd like to get it fixed sooner rather than later. From what I've read in searching it seems like separation happens on the sides rather than up top by the hinges.

If this is separation, has anybody successfully had their comprehensive insurance pay for the repair? If not does anyone have a rough estimate of what it should cost to get it fixed somewhere? Auto glass "aint my thing" so I'd rather not mess with it and break the hatch accidentally. Even if it is covered it's still a big mess to clean all the glass fragments up afterwards.

Also for bonus points, anybody that's in the Phoenix AZ area with a recommendation of somewhere to fix it will recieve at least 3 or 4 bonus points. (no idea what said points are good for but you get the idea).

I did notice that with the hatch open and the metal surround pried back over the top I could wiggle the hatch and force it back in a little more.

If it comes to me doing this myself I guess I can do it per Clark's, I just don't like the risky prospect of breaking the glass on accident.

Anyone actually done the reseal job? How bad is it really?
Old 04-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the glass has separated from the metal, it sounds like separation to me!

What kind of insurance do you have? Some kind of super-extended warraranty plan? Most insurance only covers accidents, so if this wasn't caused by an accident you're out of luck on that idea.

Some guys here do it themselves, but it's not easy. There are a number of detailed threads in the archives. A good place to start would be to take it to a couple of autoglass places and ask them that they'd charge.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:36 PM
z3bra
Racer

I was just thinking I could convince them that it's a preventative repair like minor crack and chip repair is. Help to keep it from becoming something worse down the road. (Hey they *might* buy that line but I admit it's a stretch)

I've got zero deductible full glass coverage, but even as much as I hate insurance companies I couldn't bring myself to break the glass just to get that fixed so that's out as an option. I'll probably just end up doing it myself, I have a feeling it's probably a couple hundred or more to have an auto glass place do the job considering that you'd have to pull the glass out to do it properly. I'll just borrow some suction cup floor tile pullers from work to make it a little easier grabbing the glass.

Other than the "pain in the ***" factor, provided I don't break the glass, it's only about 20 bucks for sealer and the rest is just my (and one of my friends') time.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:21 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I apid about $150 to get mine done, the last person here that tried this had his serarate into a kazillion pieces.

Do a search first.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

stupid tempered glass thats why i shattered into pieces like that Thanks Porsche....do yourself a favor and get the Lexi rear hatch, it'll even lighten the car up too

Andy
Old 04-21-2004, 06:39 PM
z3bra
Racer

Lexan yellows like a **** in the sun. Seeing as I'm in Phoenix that's not so good. Would be nice and lite but I'd have to replace it every couple years.

Also, almost all non windshield windows on all cars are the tempered glass, so don't blame Porsche specifically for that. Next time you're in a junkyard pick any car at random and break a side or rear window and it'll do the same. (I think the DOT has some say in it though as I've heard US spec auto glass is different than other places for safety concerns).

Out of curiosity, who sells the lexan hatch anyway?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm kidding about the tempered, I believe its a safety requirement so huge shards of glass don't stab you to death during an accident.

gt-racing.com sells it.

BTW my hatch is separating on the passenger side about 6 inches from black trim up top. I think I'm just gonna go buy another one from the wrecking yard, plus its chipped too!

Andy
Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM
z3bra
Racer

At 600 bucks for a Lexan one, I'll take my chances with fixing mine and worst case having to get a replacement junkyard hatch or seeing if my insurance will cover it if it breaks while I fix it. 20th street auto had about 30 of em yesterday when I was there and that's just the ones still on the cars. I'm guessing that the hatch glass is probably not a hot item at 20th street aside from local sales given the shipping charges that would be involved.

Edit: Hrm $350 for a replacement at 20th Street Auto. Maybe a rock isn't looking so bad after all.

Quick Reply: Info on hatch separation. Is mine?