Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheapest cat possible!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 08:27 AM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cheapest cat possible!

OK -- I failed NOx emissions by about 800 points!
They tell me it's the catalytic convertor.

Where can I get the cheapest three-way cat possible?

How much are these things to get installed/welded?

Are shops like Meineke willing to install customer-provided cats?

I hate spending any kind of money on this because its such
a useless item, when so many other things need tending to!

Last edited by schlag; 04-21-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:31 AM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a Huntley relic on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 04-21-2004, 12:07 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

I have an OEM that is good. Dal
Old 04-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Aleks951
Instructor

When I had a problem with my CAT I went to a local muffler shop and he installed a 3" diameter aftermarket cat and plumbed in the wastegate dump tube just prior to that cat. I then passed with flying colors.

I believe the charge for everything (including him making a 3" downpipe from the exhaust manifold AND a 3" test pipe to replace the CAT) was about $500.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:32 PM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a sign for free kittens down the road from me...
Old 04-21-2004, 02:33 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear you can adopt stray cats these days.

Just get your toolkit, go make someone elses cat stray, and adopt it
Old 04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
FormulaOne10
Pro

Go to summit racing and order one of their dynomax cats. IIRC they only cost around $65 with shipping. Then go find a cheap (not chain store) muffler shop that won't ask any questions. Some of those places like MIDAS may install it but they are much more stringent on regulations from my experiences. I keep taking my 944s to a muffler shop that doesn't ask many questions, and I don't mind giving them my business because of that.

Last edited by FormulaOne10; 04-21-2004 at 05:05 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Dave
Race Car

I picked up a Dynomax at a local speed shop for $89 and had it welded in a mile down the road at Meineke for $50. Some places won't install stuff unless you buy it from them but you'll find one that will. Best bet is to just walk in with it and ask, it's easier to say "no" on the phone and you might get a guy who will do it cheap when the boss isn't in.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:52 PM
z3bra
Racer

It's because it's illegal to replace a functional catalyst. A failed emissions report would probably be sufficient justification that it's not functional. If not, jack the car up and smack it with a hammer or something to damage it and blame it on road debris. Then they can't argue. Just drive it nice and easy since you will probably be experiencing less than optimal exhaust flow on your way to get it replaced. Better still jack the car up right before you get to the exhaust shop and do the dirty deed then if that's what you have to resort to in order to get it replaced. If the state gives you any flak over replacement (they won't, but you never know) just tell them it was damaged by road debris causing operational problems. Not like they could go back and prove it. Not worth their time or money to worry about it honestly.

It's a dirty trick to do but anybody that actually worries about the legalese of replacing an old catalyst has a big stick up their butt anyway as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:52 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by FormulaOne10
Go to summit racing and order one of their high flow magnaflow cats. IIRC they only cost around $65 with shipping. Then go find a cheap (not chain store) muffler shop that won't ask any questions. Some of those places like MIDAS may install it but they are much more stringent on regulations from my experiences. I keep taking my 944s to a muffler shop that doesn't ask many questions, and I don't mind giving them my business because of that.
Do you know a part number on the Magnaflow for the correct one for the 944 8v?

Also, I was looking at some Dynomax ones at Jegs:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...92&prmenbr=361

Theres a ton of variety though, which one is it?
Old 04-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by z3bra
It's because it's illegal to replace a functional catalyst. A failed emissions report would probably be sufficient justification that it's not functional. If not, jack the car up and smack it with a hammer or something to damage it and blame it on road debris. Then they can't argue. Just drive it nice and easy since you will probably be experiencing less than optimal exhaust flow on your way to get it replaced. Better still jack the car up right before you get to the exhaust shop and do the dirty deed then if that's what you have to resort to in order to get it replaced. If the state gives you any flak over replacement (they won't, but you never know) just tell them it was damaged by road debris causing operational problems. Not like they could go back and prove it. Not worth their time or money to worry about it honestly.

It's a dirty trick to do but anybody that actually worries about the legalese of replacing an old catalyst has a big stick up their butt anyway as far as I'm concerned.
We've found that a long pipe through the media makes any catalyst nonfunctional, which then allows for legal replacement by any shop.

Sam
Old 04-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Boricua944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey i have a question, we dont have emissions test in Augusta,Ga so i dont know anything about them. So can you run with no cat and when its time for a test just install one? and also what happens if you fail?
Old 04-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Catco cat is about the cheapest you'll find - it's what most muffler shops use as replacement units. The 944 na tubing is 2.25", and you'll want the smallest unit you can find because of the tight space (OE unit is long and round - hard to find in aftermarket.)

If you're interested in a Bosal, we can get them for ~$130. OE runs ~$475. Both require welding.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:07 PM
FormulaOne10
Pro

I screwed my original post up. I actually ordered my cat from Jeg's and it was a Dynomax. I mixed that up with a muffler I ordered from Summit. Also, I believe that Magnaflow does make high flow cats because I have seen them advertised (but I can't remember where). I was pleased with the dynomax, but it does make the car a good deal louder.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:10 PM
Greg86andahalf
Three Wheelin'

How about a free cat
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Cheapest cat possible!